Black Sheep of the Herdmans

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
AnneHM
New Poster
New Poster

Black Sheep of the Herdmans

Post by AnneHM »

Herdmans Bakery was in Dockhead Street from 1875 to 1968 and the family were generally very respectable but Robert Herdman ran away to sea in the 1880s and ended up in jail in Australia. His story has been published in Melbourne and you can read about him and see his convict photographs on this link:
https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collect ... lack-sheep
Last edited by Hughie on Fri May 18, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated link to story
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Black Sheep of the Herdmans

Post by Hughie »

Wonderful stuff, Anne. Herdman's has often been talked about on threetowners. Hope you don't mind, I've moved the topic out of the members only area.
Added ... Looks like I was in the same prison (Pentridge) as Mr Herdman. :roll:
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Here's the end notes from this story:

The information in the foregoing paragraph is based on the recollections of Robert Herdman’s great-niece, Anne Herdman Martin. Anne was born in 1943 and until 1952 lived in the family bakery in Dockhead Street, Saltcoats. She now lives in Yorkshire, England. Oral family history and several photographs were passed down to her by Robert Herdman’s sister-in-law (Annie Crawford Currie Herdman, 1888–1962) and by his younger sister (Isabella Lockhart Herdman Baillie, 1871–1960). Following the death of her parents, the bakery business passed to Anne and her brother, Douglas. Anne’s second source of oral family history and photographs, Isabella Herdman (Aunt Belle), lived in the neighbouring town of Ardrossan, Ayrshire.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Very interesting read I can remember my mum talking about Herdmans bakery.
Those wimin were in the nip.
GordMac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by GordMac »

I started an apprenticeship at Herdmans in1964,Hume Black was the foreman.The owners Mr and Mrs Martin lived in "The Croft"in Dalry.David Martin died in a hospital of heart trouble,and Mrs Martin died when her electric blanket went on fire.They were both very nice people to know and work for.The Croft was sold and became "The Hotel de Croft".Other staff when I started were Eric Burns,Donald Lamont,Joe Ferguson,Billy Fleming.