Tunnel at whittlees Dam

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Tunnel at whittlees Dam

Post by georgeflemingard »

Do any of our members remember the tunnel that lay between the whittlees dam and whittlees farm.
This Tunnel diverted the Stanley burn round the Dam. As kids we went through the tunnel which was quite long and curved. As we walked through in knee deep water, because of the curve the entrance where we started our walk soon disappeared and the exit was still not in sight. This was very scary, decision time, do we run back to safety or carry on into the unknown, We carried on, a great adventure accomplished. or were we just DAFT.
I know the Dam has gone, but is the tunnel still there?
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tunnel at whittlees Dam

Post by Hughie »

Well described, George. I remember it well and went through it a few times and was glad I had mates with me, 'cause it could be quiet scary when you got to that bend in complete darkness. We knew it as the tunnel of eer or fear. :shock:
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

Hughie, Is it still there or have they diverted the Stanley burn through what used to be Whttlees Dam?
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Sorry, George. I'm unaware if the tunnel is still there, but the water is still reaching the South Beach via the Stanley (Galloway) Burn, which divides Ardrossan and Saltcoats.