Three towns - Cinema Posters

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Three towns - Cinema Posters

Post by Hughie »

I've been asked if any copies of film posters from our former local cinemas are available to buy anywhere? I'm also wondering where these were printed? Any help appreciated.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Three towns - Cinema Posters

Post by Penny Tray »

This is an example of such from the Scottish Cinemas and Theatres Project site. Unfortunately, it doesn't show the name of the printer.

http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/scotl ... 60s_mt.jpg

There is also an example on the same site of a monthly information card showing the forthcoming films in the De Luxe and Grange cinemas in Stevenston.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
joeh
Settling In
Settling In

Post by joeh »

Hi Hughie here are 3 cinema pics, 2 of which were snapped at National Library of Scotland Edinburgh. They were taken quite speedily as no pics were allowed and security prowling around so not the best quality.
The 1960s one is available to buy from NLS. It is 61cm x 42cm . Aw the very best, joeh
Attachments
1960s.png
nls_3.jpg
nls_2.jpg
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks, Penny and Joe. I'll pass that on. Would have loved to have had a poster from the Countess (if there was one) for "Rock Around the Clock" when it played there. Or the one from the Regal for "The Robe" - they were both big then.
frank brand
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by frank brand »

Having worked in the Lyric and The Countess cinemas and my friend Norman Yarr who worked in The Regal and The LaScala I accumulated a large collection of cinema posters plus the stills, which were displayed outside the cinemas. I still have my collection. Watchingthe auction programmes on British television I am stunned at the prices these posters sell for. Quite amazing!

The posters were printed by a company linked with The Rank Organisation at a premises in Greenford, England.The company also compiled the trailers for all the films shown in this country.Due to the passage of time they no longer exist. Posters for films made in the USA are printed in America. Where current British film posters are printed I haven`t a clue. I was once offered quite a considerable sum of money for the poster to the film `The Key`, starring Trevor Howard, William Holden and Sophia Loren. I still have it.