Burial versus cremation

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Burial versus cremation

Post by Hughie »

Now we've made up our minds between burial and cremation. Keeping on the morbid theme. :roll: What music would you like played at your farewell service? I think I read somewhere that Highland Cathedral was very popular at such services.

My choice would be this rendition of Ashokan Farewell - always loved this beautiful tune which was used as the theme for that magnificent American Civil War documentary by Ken Burns.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u0qOMjWE1S4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

very slightly O/T Warren Zevron( most famous for Werewolves of London) the singer songwriter who knowing he was dying recorded on his last album The Wind
Knocking on Heaven's Door
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

A friend who is an organist at a crematorium has a list of inappropriate tunes that have been requested.

She regularly gets asked to play the hymn “Colours of Day”. She has to point out that the chorus goes:

"So light up the fire and let the flame burn,
Open the door....”
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Disco inferno - burn baby burn
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Not really thought too much about any potential music regarding myself, but at the last two family ones I attended the main pieces of music were 'You'll Never Walk Alone' and 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' respectively.
morag wrote:I've seen too many comedy skits for that Michael! I'd just like no palaver, no big fuss.
http://gu.com/p/47fqx/sbl
this is not for the squeamish
That was an interesting wee read morag, and briefly on the subject of comedy sketches, here's one I'd never tire of.
The main supporting actor is actually struggling to keep a straight face at times.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jKBhOakPuD4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Last edited by michaelm on Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aland
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by aland »

I have chosen 3 pieces

Mark knopfler's local hero

highland cathedral

and at the end Journeyman by Iron Maiden
call me alan or al, labels are for tins of beans or soup not people. We are all Jock Tamson's bairns
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Sarah I know how you feel.Ever since I watched Premature Burial with Vincent Price,I have been terrified of being buried alive. Having said that I am being buried and we have our plot ready. I am donating my organs ,so I would say I will be pretty dead by the time that is over lol .
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

At my friend's husband's funeral, as the coffin was disappearing he had chosen " I've gotta get out of this place if it's the last thing I ever do"
Have to admit there were a few chuckles.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-r2_Ej7mwDE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ZOOM .... I like to greet the sun at morning and walk among the stars at night !!

Ashes, Lochranza and Kildonan.
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

Can you trust your undertaker? I remember a few years ago a woman was buried at sea off Ayr. On numerous occasions the coffin was trawled up until one skipper decided to bring the coffin into harbour. It turned out the coffin wasn't what the deceased relatives had paid for but cheap rubbish and wasn't weighted down properly and couldn't stay on the sea bed. Hence it was caught in the fishermens' nets. Also it seems to me offensive that relatives should have to pay to view a body and i've often wondered if there is a wee sideline going on selling scrap gold from teeth. So is it all about money Morag?
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

stivis wrote:Nothing is more in tune with the sentiments of the day than an damp,overcast day with a touch of drizzle at a burial,
Costs,that might be the defining issue, a burial costs a lot more , I'm just pointing that out
If you go to the cemetery in New Street, in it they have run a path it is over some of the plots,that cemetery is not used very often now but some folk have still the "title deeds" for plots or "lairs"

Incidently a Horse Drawn Hearse and "cars" was used in Saltcoats last week

Re the Buddhist , they probably were fulfilling the Buddhist's wishes which are I believe along the lines of "the spirit has no longer any use of the vessel" and the expensive coffin is wasteful
But the expensive coffin was bought.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Okay...now I'm thinking horse drawn carriage, Land of Hope and Glory...except more like Scotland the Brave... :P
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis