Sir Harry Lauder link to Stevenston

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Sir Harry Lauder link to Stevenston

Post by Penny Tray »

The 14 August 1946 edition of the Glasgow Herald reports that structural damage estimated at £5,000 was caused the previous day when fire broke out in a building – formerly the Highlanders’ Memorial Church – Waterloo Street, Glasgow, at its junction with Blythswood Street.

Mention is made in the same article that an organ which had been installed in the building by Sir Harry Lauder in memory his son, Captain John C Lauder, who was killed on the Somme shortly before New Year on 1917, had previously been “transferred to Stevenston” after the congregation of the Highlanders’ Memorial church joined St. Matthew’s Church in Bath Street, Glasgow.

The organ, I understand, went to the Livingstone Church in New Street.

I wonder if it’s still there today and whether or not there is a memorial plaque or anything else to link the organ with Sir Harry?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
killiejok
Settling In
Settling In

Re: Sir Harry Lauder link to Stevenston

Post by killiejok »

The Livingston Church centenary booklet (1987) includes some detail on the organ.

Originally presented to the Highlander's Memorial Church in Glasgow by Sir Harry Lauder, the famous Scots comedian, in memory of his son, John, killed in the First World War, the organ was purchased by the congregation in 1943. Mr Archibald our present (1987) organist and the members of the choir were the inspiration of this move. The dedication took place on Sunday 9th July 1944 at a special afternoon service. Meg Faulds, one of our members was one of two soloists on that occasion. The choir under Mr Archibald presented a number of pieces. The special guest organist was Purcell J. Mansfield.

The minister at the time was Rev. A. Roy Stark.

I'm not aware of a plaque within the church and I believe it's still there.
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Sir Harry Lauder link to Stevenston

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

When i was in primary school once a month we had a sevice in the Lvingston church I remember being told that the organ had been donated by Harry Lauder.