Dirrans Sawmills - Neil Small - James Small - Mary Ralston

For those researching family in the three towns area.
Eddie
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Dirrans Sawmills; Neil Small; James Small; Mary Ralston

Post by Eddie »

Just found this site and thread after doing a search for Neil Small. I also worked in the sawmill from 1972 until it closed in1987, i remember Fransisco well very gifted with his hands in creating things from wood if memory serves me well. I have a arial photo of the sawmill in the house somewhere from the early sixties ( the owner Alistair Mcgregor gave it to me just before it closed) once I find it I will post it?
Eddie
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Eddie »

Here is the photo, as you can see you didnt have a problem finding a parking place in the Dirrans then, not the case now. Irvine road is at the left hand bottom corner. The white building bottom left was a church (gospel hall?) my original picture is a3 size

Neil Smalls Dirrans sawmills early sixties (1962?)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Eddie,

That's a great photo. I'd long since forgotten just how large a sawmill it acutally was.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
bobfish
Settling In
Settling In

Post by bobfish »

@Eddie - That's a terrific photograph - thank you for sharing.

Clearly I haven't visited these pages in some time Eddie - and have come back to find your nice surprise.

Thank you for helping to bring this subject to life.

Like Penny - I'm impressed with the scale of the site - it covered a larger area than I'd originally thought.

Many thanks,

David
I'm not a remarkable person by character, but my sentimental nature makes my life feel remarkable. I don't know where I would be without my sense of sentimentality!
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Is that the path to the Ironworks/Blacklands between the Sawmill and the Dirran's houses ?

sweet caroline
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
MikeJ

Post by MikeJ »

hello , I have just found the family bible of Neil Small ! He was in fact born in 1750 not 1760 his first wife was Jannet Gillies , his second wife was Jean Kerr email (removed) for more details This I hope is an image of the family births and daeths page

Click to enlarge
Last edited by Hughie on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal email addresses disallowed on this public forum
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Hi MikeJ, What a wonderful find, and thanks for sharing. Hope the others on this thread are still looking in. I,m wondering if I have the wrong Neil Small. I have him born 9th Aug. bapts .12 Aug 1750.Who were his parents?Neil Small,and Margaret Nicols

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Dirrans Sawmills - Neil Small - James Small - Mary Ralston

Post by Penny Tray »

The following items from the Friday, 16 February, 1872, edition of the Glasgow Herald may be of interest: -

DEATH

At Pathfoot, Kilwinning, on the 14th instant, (from the effects of an accident), NEIL SMALL, of Durrens* Saw Mill.

KILWINNING FATAL ACCIDENT

A painful accident, and which, we regret to say, has now terminated fatally, occurred at the Reddance* Saw Mill, here, on Tuesday last. Mr. NEIL SMALL, who has occupied the premises for many years, was engaged attending the revolving saw when a piece of wood, becoming detached, suddenly rebounded and struck him on the abdomen, causing, it is believed, a severe rupture.

Everything that medical skill could devise was done, but he gradually sank, and died on Wednesday night.

A wide feeling of sympathy has been expressed, as Mr. Small was much respected as a friend and man of business.

He leaves a widow and large family.

[*As published in the newspaper.]
Sarginson

Post by Sarginson »

Owners of larchfield . Present 2020
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Sarginson,

It took me a wee while to work out that your post was indicating that you are the current owner of Larchfield, which was formerly Pathfoot.