The ... What are you doing or thinking right now - Topic

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The ... What are you doing or thinking right now - Topic

Post by bobnetau »

John Donnelly wrote:Will you sadists please stop talking about sunshine and beaches. :(

JD. :lol:
Paying the orice today. Missed parts of my shoulders when applying the sunscreen. Ouch! You are supposed to learn by your mistakes.
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

When I look at the number of 40 degree plus days forecast for Adelaide over the next couple of weeks I have no time for those praising the sun and beach. Last place to be on a stinking hot day is in the glare of the beach, with salt clogged pores from the odd bathe in lukewarm water and sand clogging everything. And that's not mentioning the sunburn. BTW Australia has the highest incidence of skin cancer in the world. Its supposed to be because of the sun but the "experts" don't compare us with similar areas around the world with similar sun exposure but much lower rates. Alternative medicine practitioners say its because almost alone in the world we lack the trace element selenium which is essential to the health of skin cells. Makes sense to me! Perhaps instead of having scare tactics over eating imported fruit and vegies we should be eating more of them as they contain the missing element! Wee Ali
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

But what I am really doing now is wondering if anybody else is as silly as Zue and I pandering to our 17 year old daughter Bonnie (who is still only a learner driver). On Wednesday we drove her down to a place just 112 kms past Ardrossan, (oors in South Australia - no the real one), which in turn is about 130 k's from where we live, to spend three days with some friends at their beach shack. We then turned around and came home, a total of nearly 500k's. Tomorrow morning we go down and pick her up, turn around and come back to our poor old Basset hound, if he wasn't sleeping all day would be crossing his legs. Are we spoiling her - would any of you have done that for your kids. It was a special trip because normally the shack owners would have taken her but had four teenagers and three Rhodesian Ridge-backs in the 4WD . :roll: :roll: Wee Ali
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

We haven't been for a good couple of years, (since we bought the camper), but we used to go regularly to Ibiza, to the same appartment complex every time.

The owner had 2 wee girls, (now mothers themselves), and they were always dressed in long white dresses with long sleeves with wide floppy hats. It was only the eejit northerners that walked round like lobsters in bathing costumes.

Never really been a sun worshipper. We always went, and still go, to the warmer climes in either the spring or autumn. (It's a lot cheaper, without the exhausting heat and less busy as well).

JD.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

In my defence I did sit for most of the time in our little beach shelter, the sun got me when I was wading in to the sea to tell my grand-daughter and her friend to move to a more populated part of the sea. Funny how they go deaf when they are with friends. Keep showing her my sunburn to make her feel bad.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

calleytwo wrote: come back to our poor old Basset hound, if he wasn't sleeping all day would be crossing his legs. Are we spoiling her
Are you sure you are not spoiling the Basset hound. :D . Unless I had to I would stay around down there and have a holiday. Think all Aussie parents have done something like that for our kids. If she is a learner maybe your nerves could be rattled a little more and let her do some of the driving to get her 100 hours up. That's how our kids got there hours and now they are confident enough to drive in the 'city' :!: .
Last edited by Meg on Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding the missing HTML from the quote.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Not a sun or hot weather fan. And here am I in S. Cal...sheesh! Do enjoy a day at the beach though, usually Laguna hotel balcony, where I can sit under an umbrella and enjoy a strawberry daiquiri and some delicious snacks while, a while back my young kids could play on the beach directly below. I don't tan, I burn and at best go a pale yellow..stopped trying!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Wondering how SIL is getting on, she landed in Perth yesterday from Stevenston. And today Perth is having 44 degrees Celsius. We usually get their weather here on the East coast a few days later. Wonder how Retsum is managing with the heat over there, he was heading there over Christmas.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Hugh, Mary will be lying out in all that heat, lapping it up. I have just come back to daughter's house and left the rest of the family swimming in the river. Had enough of this heat, be glad to see a cool change.
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

margb wrote:
calleytwo wrote: come back to our poor old Basset hound, if he wasn't sleeping all day would be crossing his legs. Are we spoiling her
Are you sure you are not spoiling the Basset hound. :D . Unless I had to I would stay around down there and have a holiday. Think all Aussie parents have done something like that for our kids. If she is a learner maybe your nerves could be rattled a little more and let her do some of the driving to get her 100 hours up. That's how our kids got there hours and now they are confident enough to drive in the 'city' :!: .
The intention was that she would do some of the driving but got stuck on the internet too long the night before and too tired then too tired today when we picked her up after being out fishing early. The shack was full so invitation to Bonnie only. Besides getting rid of her for four days is worth four holidays! :lol: LOL Wee Ali
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

It was my birthday on the 1st of January and i've just had a scary thought, maybe i should start acting my age, though i doubt if i will, young at heart.Three cheers for the young at heart.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

5eulbdog7 wrote:It was my birthday on the 1st of January and i've just had a scary thought, maybe i should start acting my age, though i doubt if i will, young at heart.Three cheers for the young at heart.
Stay young at heart Bill, acting your age isn't all it's cracked..or broken or sore, up to be and if I didn't tell you before Happy Birthday!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis