Before The Bottom End Was Built (Stevenston)

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Before The Bottom End Was Built (Stevenston)

Post by morag »

oh dear oh dear...why do I find this slightly amusing??? where's the shame on me face thingie?
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Beach Holiday Camp,Ardeer ,Stevenston-Tel.568

From the 1935 Ayrshire Directory

SC

Edit-
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
killiejok
Settling In
Settling In

Post by killiejok »

During a conversation about the Beach Holiday Camp, I was surprised to learn that at least one of the buildings was in use in Stevenston for many years after the camp closed. The Dance Hall was purchased and relocated to Craigdene Drive as the Hayocks Gospel Hall.
PennyCaramel
New Poster
New Poster

Post by PennyCaramel »

I am not sure if this will help settle the debate or just stir it up but this is an aerial shot dated 1927. Ardeer Square and the Ironworks are both present and correct. http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/details/1246320/
FRANCIS FEGUSON
New Poster
New Poster

Post by FRANCIS FEGUSON »

I remember the pier over the slip at Stevenston point and playing on part of it that still remained in late fifties to early sixties. It is remembered so well because we moved into Trelawney Terrace top end in the mid fifties when I was five and my right to wander was not gained for another five to ten years when I learned a lot about the town in particular the bottom end.
FRANCIS FEGUSON
New Poster
New Poster

People should not submit photos unless they are looking for confirmation of information in return and in doing so help to educate the locals.
QUESTION ? WHAT IS KNOWN ABOUT STEVENSTON ONCE BEING SPLIT BY AN ISLAND AND IN WHAT PERIOD OF TIME WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN.
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

Fancy meeting you here Francis

Regards
Anne McBride
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

FRANCIS FEGUSON wrote:People should not submit photos unless they are looking for confirmation of information in return and in doing so help to educate the locals.
QUESTION ? WHAT IS KNOWN ABOUT STEVENSTON ONCE BEING SPLIT BY AN ISLAND AND IN WHAT PERIOD OF TIME WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN.
Who died and made you God?
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

FRANCIS FEGUSON wrote:People should not submit photos unless they are looking for confirmation of information in return and in doing so help to educate the locals.
Welcome to the threetowners Francis. One word to the wise from someone who's been around the forum for a wee while, we try not to shout - ie capitalised text. There are only a few forum rules, detailed here and as a new member you might find some useful pointers.

Meg
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

Hi Meg, that is what is great about the 3T's, no SHOUTING. Just add your tuppence worth whether it is right or wrong and no one jumps down your throat trying to belittle anyone. They maybe put their slant on it but in a very nice way. Lang mae yir lum reek threetowners :clap:

Anne
FRANCIS FEGUSON
New Poster
New Poster

chriso wrote:Peter, I'm trying to get my head round when that photo was taken, but it couldn't have been in the 20's as the iron works would be clearly visible.
Ardeer Bowling club was founded in1857 by the Iron works, see below

In 1849 the Glengarnock Iron Company built five blast furnaces on the foreshore of the Ardeer sands to smelt pig-iron. The iron ore was imported through Ardrossan harbour and to reduce costs Merry and Cunningham Ltd., successors to the Glengarnock company, started to build a quay by dumping slag into the sea. After 300 yards of these works had been completed it became obvious that no ship could safely dock here given the force of winter storms. The quay was abandoned and to this day it is known as the 'old pier' or 'slag point'. The works closed in 1931 and were demolished in 1935.[23]
The pier was still there in the 1950's
There is no sign of the furnaces on that photo, so it can't be the bowling club on the photo, which means it must have been before that.
But if aerial photography didn't exist before 1858, see below, it must have been taken after that date.
I give up. :smt102

Aerial photography was first practiced by the French photographer and balloonist Gaspard-Félix Tournachon, known as "Nadar", in 1858 over Paris, France.[

I.C.I was built in 1871,
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

chriso wrote:Well Neil,you say there was never a holiday camp, what about this then?
Honest to god Chris I think I'm starting to loose it, now if I could only remember what " it" is. :evil:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons