Carmichael Family

For those researching family in the three towns area.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Carmichael Family

Post by sweet caroline »

Just been through all the records on Ancestry and not found him.Think he may be one of thousands whose records were lost or distroyed.He was not given a Scottish death certificate,unless it was spelt wrong .I have not checked for that ,have you?.All UK people killed in the war were issued a death certificate of sorts.

sweet caroline

Edit -Just been into Scotlandspeople.There are no Albert Carmichael being born in Stevenston between 1875-1905 under any of the surname options.

Edit-12th (Ayr & Lanark Yeomanry)Battalion
Formed in Egypt on 14 January 1917 from dismounted yeomanry and placed in 229th Brigade, 74th (Yeomanry) Division.
1 May 1918 : embarked at Alexandria for Marseilles, landing 7 May.
21 June 1918 : attached to 94th Brigade, 31st Division
http://www.1914-1918.net/31div.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would he have kept the same army number?
Edit-I think the New Zealand Albert Carmichael can be ruled out.
Edit -Not came up in the National Archives Campaign Medals
Edit-The Ayrshire Yeomanry
1/1st

August 1914 : in Ayr. Part of the Lowland Mounted Brigade.
September 1915 : moved as dismounted troops to Gallipoli.
11 October 1915 : attached to 52nd (Lowland) Division.
February 1916 : Brigade transferred to 1st Dismounted Brigade, which was broken up 16 October 1916. Regiment moved to 2nd Dismounted Brigade.
January 1917 : with the Lanarkshire Yeomanry, formed 12th (Ayr and Lanark Yeomanry) Bn, the Royal Scots Fusiliers. Placed under orders of 229th Brigade in 74th (Yeomanry) Division.
21 June 1918 : moved to 94th Brigade, 31st Division.

Every soldier had a service record, although only some 30% or so now exist.

Best bet is the A&S herald intimation .Someone put it in .
Edit-http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php
Last edited by sweet caroline on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Sorry i have made a mistake.there is no A&S Herald intimation .I had got mixed up with the WWI Record.
The Albert Carmichael on the Stevenston War Memorial could just as well be the New Zealand born one ,as he was in Stevenston 1911.Back to square one . :(

sweet caroline

Edit-Are you sure you have the right Albert Carmichael .Were did you get your info from.Was William ,your Father born in the 3ts area?
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
geomacintyre
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by geomacintyre »

Have been on my wanders again and just picking up on this thread. I have just searched Soldiers Who Died In The Great War and can find no match. The A Carmichael listed as killed on October 31, 1918 is an Angus Carmichael who was born in Tarbert, Argyllshire. The only drawback to Soldiers Who Died is that it is restricted to men who served in the British Army and does not list Commonwealth troops.
What we do for ourselves alone dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. - Albert Pine
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

geomacintyre,
Had came to the same conclusion .Bert says the first 1 is the right one ,and is different from the other 2
This is driving me MAD The New Zealand 1 died on a different date from the 1 on Stevenston Roll of Honour.Yet we have a CWGC for the 1 we can't find .This is the Angus Carmichael that had a Death Cert issued
UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1918
about Angus Carmichael
Name: Angus Carmichael
Birth Place: Tarbert, Argyllshire
Death Date: 31 Oct 1918
Death Location: France & Flanders
Enlistment Location: Glasgow
Regiment: Royal Scots Fusiliers
Battalion: 12th Battalion
Number: 32075
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Sweet Caroline
Edit-the P on the Stevenston Roll of Honour means he was a Prisoner of War when he died.
Edit-http://www.btinternet.com/~prosearch/tomspage19.html
Edit - Although i was mistaken about the Intimation ,it would still have been published in the Herald
bertcarmichael
New Poster
New Poster

Post by bertcarmichael »

Oh my goodness, this is so confusing. lol

The number is for Albert James Carmichael correct, in the cemetry it is down as Albert Carmichael.

http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead ... &order=asc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the plot has thickened with someone with similar name. It was my uncle who passed the infor on to me.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

If your Uncle said it was the Stevenston Albert James Carmichael,then he died a prisoner of War .Would have been reported in the Ardrossan & Saltcoats herald.He may have lived in Stevenston,but i searched Scotlandspeople and never found any Albert Carmichaels being born in Ayrshire under any of the surname options.

sweet caroline
bertcarmichael
New Poster
New Poster

Post by bertcarmichael »

I have tried to confirm the Army number of my Albert Carmichael 32075, when I look for Angus Carmichael 32075 I am inable to trace him to Vichte. Only Albert Carmichael comes up.

So far I see he may have been born outside the area and moved there before enlistment, on the memorial does it have an army number or is it just the name. Vichte has A Carmichael 32075. I have sent an email to all my realatives to see what I am able to find out and will post once more information is available
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Just names are given on War Memorials.

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic.php?t=1240" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sweet caroline

Edit-sometimes they never gave their middle names.

Albert Carmichael 32075 is the only 1 remembered at VICHTE MILITARY CEMETERY

Historical Information
The railway station at Vichte was captured by the Royal Newfoundland Regiment on 20 October 1918, and the village by the 9th (Scottish) Division two days later.

In Vichte Military Cemetery, Rows A and B and part of Row C in Plot I were made in October 1918, by the burial officers of the 9th and 31st Divisions, and the remainder of the cemetery was formed after the Armistice when graves were brought in from the neighbouring battlefields. In June 1933, a further 31 graves were moved here from SWEVEGHEM CHURCHYARD.

Vichte Military Cemetery now contains 236 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, 60 of them unidentified. There are also two Second World War burials, one of which is unidentified.

The cemetery was designed by W H Cowlishaw.

Note 31st division
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Gets weirder ,Can't find Angus Carmichael in CWGC but he exists

British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920
about Angus Carmichael -----unmarried ,grocer,had served in the Military before
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1879
Age at enlistment: 36
Residence: 13 Scotia St, Glasgow
Document Year: 1915
Regimental Number: 32075
Regiment Name: Royal Scots Fusiliers
Number of images: 21

Isn't it unusual to have 2 Carmichaels with the same Army Number.

UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919
about Angus Carmichael
Birth Place: Tarbert, Argyllshire
Death Date: 31 Oct 1918
Death Location: France & Flanders
Enlistment Location: Glasgow
Regiment: Royal Scots Fusiliers
Battalion: 12th Battalion
Number: 32075
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Off course the Stevenston Albert James Carmichael would not have been classed as died in Action ,so perhaps not on the the Rolls of Honour ,and records would have been dealt different .I think it is Angus Carmichael we have in CWGC.Would have taken longer surely to reach Ardrossan died 31.10.1918 and we have him remembered in the Herald 1.11.1918

What info did your Uncle give you,and was William married to a Mary Conner ,Belfast 1920
sweet caroline
bertcarmichael
New Poster
New Poster

Post by bertcarmichael »

Hi Caroline, I have just been informed that Marys maiden name was Stockman.

I am digging for more information from Aunts etc, but they are not keen to talk about thier parents as they have both passed away.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

I hope this helps to rule out the Albert Carmichael from New Zealand.
The following entry is on the Army Form of the 1st. Battalion, The Scottish Rifles:
No: .....797 (the first numbers are not visible)
Name in full: Carmichael, Albert
Country of birth: Scotland
Date of death: 26.9.18
Place of death: France
Cause of death: Died of wounds

Strange that the country of birth is given as Scotland. As Sweet Caroline wrote, there's no appropriate birth to be found in SP. This was all I found apart from the 1911 census.
Irene
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)