School Excursions

Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

School Excursions

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@ topica.com>
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2001

Thank you for the topic Hugh. I am not a 3T myself but I married one - Matt Walker and we are enjoying the emails immensely. As a kid growing up in Rutherglen, we used to go on Sunday school trips to Stevenson. We used to go on a steam train from Glasgow and our Sunday school from Blairbeth Parish Church along with Mums and Dads would fill a whole train. We would have streamers flying from the train windows. We would reach Stevenson and go to the shore where we had lunch. I always remember the wee cardboard box with a couple of sandwiches, a chocky biscuit and a cake and then we got a wee square of ice cream and a drink. We had races along the grass at the front and then head off to the "shows". There was always a few kids who were sick after eating all these goodies and then going on rides. I also remember singing songs on the train. As the Sunday school dwindled, we went on double decker buses. I still remember some of the songs: The Quartermaster's Store. Coming Round The Mountain. Climb, Climb up Sunshine Mountain etc. They were glory days indeed!

Kind Regards Annie Walker (nee Reid)

Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2001

Re: this weeks topic.
Did anyone go on the "Uganda Ship Cruises?" I went in '68.To Maderia. Porta Delgado and Vigo.With Saltcoats Jnr High school. I had to stay on a six months extra so I could go on this cruise. It was terrific. First time I'd really been away from home. Found all the places we visited fascinating .We went to a pineapple farm in Maderia, someone bought a pineapple and we decided to open and share it in our coach, Unfortunately all we had to cut with was a penknife-what a mess! I also remember when we 'rounded Cape Vincente. All the Teachers were down below -suffering! We kids were on the highest part of the ship we could get on getting soaked by the 30 foot waves but having a ball. We also did the "passing the Equator" with Neptune etc. This was my first real holiday. I think it was one of my best!
Sheena.

Re excursions: I also remember the Clyde Coast Bus company's 'Magical Mystery Tours' which as already mentioned ended up in Largs. Mind you I do remember once ending up in Weyms Bay. I guess it all depended on who gave the driver/tour leader the best backhand.

I haven't much to say about air-raid shelters, but I vaguely remember the one in the region of Factory Place. As I lived just around the corner in Raise St. next to Jack Boyds (later Tomasso's) photo shop. Does any one remember them? Also on the corner of Raise St/ Factory lane there was a shop and behind that there was a chap with no legs who used to transport himself on a sort of trolly. He was a damned good 'cobbler' and we were always being sent round there to get studs on the soles of our boots and caps to protect the fronts.

One of the best memories I have of a school trip was about 1954 when it was our turn to spend a week at West Linton on the East coast near Peebles. It was great. Anyone else been there?

Tony McGuire

Hi Sheena

I went on the Uganda as well with the school. the year we went from St Andrews there wasn't a lot of people going so we had to join up with the St mike's crowd. We all had fun but any trouble or carry on was always St andy's crowd who done it.

Linda

in 1964 I went with Ardrossan Academy on the MS Nevassa to Vigo Madeira and
Lisbon - it was my first time abroad and going with all my pals was great - coincidentally someone mentioned Colin Hay of men-at-work and he was in the same dormitory as me

in Madeira we took a toboggan ride down the mountain on the cobbled street - had a coke in the half-way inn which was run by a Scottish lady. Remember Lisbon as a fantastic city - must go back

I remember we did not really behave ourselves well - but we did have fun others I remember being there are - Andy Campbell, Tommy Catto, William Bingham, Bobby Gilmour, Panda Anderson.

scott mccallum

Sent: Monday, May 07, 2001

My mum wouldn't let us go to West Linton, she'd heard about 'lascivious activities' or something! Not enough chaperoning I guess. I did get to go on the Dunera Cruise to Copenhagen, Stockholm and Leningrad. Great time!

Morag Black