Stevenston - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Stevenston - On This Day In History

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
6 APRIL 1840

PIRACY IN MANUFACTURING DESIGNS

Three petitions in favour of law for better protection of manufacturing designs go off today, for presentation to Parliament.

One is from the manufacturers of Paisley – one is from the weavers – and one from the pattern setters.

In addition to these, ten other petitions go off from the weavers of the following towns:-

Kilmarnock, Beith, Saltcoats, Stevenston, Kilwinning, Dalry, West Kilbride, Largs, Kilbirnie, and Lochwinnoch.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

EVENING TIMES
10 APRIL 1957

FEWER CHILDREN CUT BY GLASS

Since Stevenston Town Council appointed two beach attendants among whose duties is the clearing of broken glass from the shore, the number of children suffering from cuts during the summer has dropped from 150 to eight.

Dean of Guild J. Lumsden told the Town Council this after Bailie Hyslop had suggested that the Red Cross should be asked to have someone in attendance to give first aid, if the council provided a hut on the shore.

He described broken glass as a nightmare to people with young children.

The council remitted the suggestion to Dean of Guild Lumsden for a report.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
13 APRIL 1885

SCHOOL BOARD ELECTION
STEVENSTON

The election of the new Board took place on Saturday.

There were two polling stations – one in the Public School, Stevenston, and the other in Kyleshill School, Saltcoats.

For the seven seats ten candidates went to the poll, and the result is as follows:

Successful old members:-

William Gemmell, tailor;
William Stewart, colliery agent;
Rev. John Grahame, parish minister;
Andrew Cumming, spirit merchant.

New members:-

William Kerr, ironfounder;
David Donaldson, Station-master,
Robert Bicket, flesher.

Unsuccessful old members:-

James McIsaac of Parkend;
Hugh Smith, farmer, Hawkhill.

New candidate:-

Thomas Stewart Lyon, foreman, dynamite work.

Patrick Warner, of Ardeer, who was nominated intimated his withdrawal.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
17 APRIL 1929

LICENSING COURT
THREE FEWER LICENCES IN NORTHERN DIVISION

At a meeting of the Licensing Court for the Northern District of the County of Ayr at Kilwinning yesterday Mr. W. Adams, Portencross, was unanimously re-elected chairman.

It was decided to extend the hour of closing by half an hour until 9.30 p.m. during the months of June, July, August, and September.

There were no applications for new certificates, and the following applications by new tenants or occupants were granted………David Hillis, Troon, for CALEDONIA VAULTS, Stevenston.
Last edited by Penny Tray on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
18 APRIL 1904

SHERIFF MACKENZIE AT THE SALTCOATS BAZAAR

On Saturday Sheriff Mackenzie, Kilmarnock, opened the bazaar promoted by Ardeer Golf Club to raise funds for a new 18-hole course and club-house.

The bazaar was held in the Town Hall, Saltcoats, and there was a large attendance.

Mr. William Allan, agent for the Royal Bank, who presided spoke in favour of the object of the bazaar, and introduced Sheriff Mackenzie.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

1904 ??

And yet the new club didn't open until the 1960s ?? :o :?
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Viv,

I've double-checked it and it's definitely 1904; and the article definitely refers to "a new 18-hole course and club-house." I see that Ardeer Golf Club was originally founded in 1880. I wonder how many locations they've been at during this time and whether or not they've always had an 18-hole course?
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

There is 1 at Auchenharvie, but not sure when it opened.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Penny Tray wrote:Viv,

I've double-checked it and it's definitely 1904; and the article definitely refers to "a new 18-hole course and club-house." I see that Ardeer Golf Club was originally founded in 1880. I wonder how many locations they've been at during this time and whether or not they've always had an 18-hole course?
This has been discussed a while back. This is about the golf course moving from near the shore where Clark Crescent is today, to Lundholm Rd.
JD.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Penny Tray wrote:Viv,

Not sure of the dates but I could find these if need be. I am sure that the present location is the 4th location. The first and second being at two locations around the sandylands area. The third and most likely place of the one mentioned in the news clip was on land which was repossessed by ICI to build the Nylon plant. I am told the club was given 2 weeks to move out. Luckily land became available at the present location which is at Greenhead and it continues to develop into a very good test of golf worth playing.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I think your on the ball. I think one at brewery park and then one near Clarke crescent. The club house is still there in George street it use to be owned by Willie Shields who I was very friendly with. As a wee boy he wanted that house and after a lot of hard work he was able to buy it. The best publican ever. In Lundholm road a smashing club house was built for a brilliant 18 hole course but was demolished when the course was taken over for the nylon plant. I think Stevenston would have been a more attractive town if we still had our golf course there. Anyway Lochend farm was purchased for the new course and that is where it is to-day.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
26 APRIL 1968

£5000 REWARD IN PLATINUM THEFT

A £5000 reward has been offered by Imperial Chemicals Industries for information which would lead to the recovery of platinum stolen from the company’s Nobel Divison Ardeer Factory at Stevenston, Ayrshire.

Twelve thin circular sheets of platinum-rhodium gauze about 9 ft in diameter and a sheet of platinum gauze of about the same size were stolen some time between April 4 and 11.

The metal is priced at £50 an ounce and each gauze weighs 5½ lb.

The theft was the third in three years from I.C.I. plants. Smaller quantities of platinum were taken last year and in 1966 from a factory in Bristol.