Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
31 OCTOBER 1884

MUNICIPAL ELECTIONS
NOMINATIONS

ARDROSSAN – Six candidates for four seats – Provost Hogarth, and Messrs Dinwoodie, McMillan, and Anderson have been nominated for re-election. The new candidates are Messrs Thomas Kirkhope, writer, and George Barrie, coal merchant.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

31 October 1844

Many people in Ardrossan are familiar with the story behind MacFadzean's Monument on the Castle Hill.

It commemorates Dr Alexander MacFadzean who was instrumental in Ardrossan becoming a burgh in 1846, helped to build a police station, got piped water and gas to every house in the town and provided street lighting. He was so highly respected as a doctor that a year after his death, people in Ardrossan and elsewhere contributed to a fund to erect MacFadzean's Monument.

Between January and June of this year, the Monument was restored by North Ayrshire Council and looks good.

A month ago, I discovered more about Dr MacFadzean. On 31 October 1844, again as a token of respect, he was presented with a large portrait of himself. Unfortunately, I have not been able to trace the whereabouts of the portrait if it still exists. The story, as reported in the Glasgow Herald of 4 November 1844 is shown below.

PRESENTATION TO A MACFADZEAN, ESQUIRE, M D, ARDROSSAN

On Thursday 31 October 1844, a number of gentlemen connected with Ardrossan, assembled there in order to present Dr MacFadzean with his portrait, painted by John Graham Gilbert, esquire. The painting has been executed for some time and has been exhibited in the rooms of the Glasgow Association for Promoting the Fine Arts and in the abode of the Royal Scottish Academy and at both places it attracted very great attention on account of the striking figure of the Doctor which has been so faithfully and beautifully represented by the accomplished artist. All who know Dr MacFadzean have been strongly impressed by the remarkable fidelity with which the likeness has been preserved while, at the same time, the picture possesses qualities which make every spectator feel that it has a value independent of its merits as a portrait and that it has been painted by the hand of a master.

At two o’clock, the company sat down to a dejeuner in the hotel which was laid out by Mr Young in his usual sumptuous and elegant style. The Earl of Eglinton and Winton accepted the chair and James Campbell, esquire, of Craigie officiated as croupier. Among others, there were present Alexander Oswald, esquire, Member of Parliament for the County of Ayr; John Tennant, esquire, of Saint Rollox; John Pearson, esquire, Glasgow; Major Martin; Major Dalziell, Ardrossan; Andrew Mitchell, esquire, of Maulaide; James Mitchell, esquire, Glasgow; Captain McKinnon, Ardrossan; Archibald Finule, esquire, Kilmarnock; John Graham Gilbert, esquire; George Johnston, esquire, Redburn; John Hunter, esquire; Robert Hunter, esquire and W B Orr, esquire.

Several copies of an engraving from the portrait, executed by Mr Barton of Edinburgh, in a style equally creditable to the artist and engraver, were exhibited in different parts of the room.

After the usual preliminary toasts, Lord Eglinton rose and, addressing Dr MacFadzean, said “Sir, it is with great pleasure that I now proceed to discharge the duty imposed upon me by the other subscribers of requesting your acceptance of your portrait. Connected as I am with Ardrossan and considering how greatly I am interested in its prosperity, there is perhaps no one now present who has had greater occasion than myself to remark the untiring assiduity with which you have devoted yourself for many years to the promotion of every undertaking whose object was the improvement of the town and neighbourhood of Ardrossan. Your skill and success as a physician have already given you a widespread celebrity in your great professional talent but it is only those more immediately connected with this town who can be aware of your ever-flowing stream of charity which, directed by your benevolent disposition has effected so much good and relieved so much suffering. We all know that no case of distress is disclosed to you in the course of your professional duties without the most efficient exertions on your part for its immediate alleviation and this not only by gratuitous attendance and contributions from your own purse but also by making the case known to others and enabling them in some degree to emulate you in the good you were performing. We, Sir, all feel and would wish it to be known that, highly as your abilities ought to be estimated and greatly as your exertions for the promotion of every improvement in the town and district are deserving of honour, your benevolent attentions to the poor and unfortunate demand a higher need of approbation and are even more esteemed by your friends and the public. It must give you great pleasure to know that your name is identified with the prosperity of Ardrossan by being connected with every beneficial undertaking which has been commenced since you came to live among us but I am certain that the approbation of your own conscience must be far more pleasing when you reflect upon the benefits that have followed your benevolent labours and know that your name is pronounced with affection and gratitude in what were once the abodes of suffering and misery. In presenting you with this painting, we hope that you wlll regard it merely as a testimony of our esteem – as a slight mark of the respect and admiration which your talents and virtues have won from those among whom you have so long laboured”. His Lordship then, addressing the company, requested an overflowing bumper to the health of Dr MacFadzean which was drunk with most enthusiastic applause.

Dr MacFadzean, in reply, said “My Lord and Gentlemen, I feel great difficulty even in attempting to acknowledge in suitable terms my sense of high honour which has thus publicly been bestowed on such a humble individual as myself and this difficulty of clothing in appropriate language those warm feelings of gratitude which this splendid testimonial of your friendship has excited in my breast has been greatly increased by the more than flattering manner in which you, my Lord, have been pleased to allude to my services, professional and otherwise, in this community. To be this singled out by a body of gentlemen so numerous and influential as those around me and requested to accept this magnificent gift as a token of the approbation with which they regard my exertions, professional and public, is an honour to which I can never attach too high a value and which I shall always look back upon with mingled feelings of pride and pleasure. To this portrait, I attach a high value as being the production of the first artist in the West of Scotland but in my estimation it possesses a value of an incalculably higher order as being the visible expression of your good wishes towards me and of your favourable opinion of my conduct. Hitherto, it has always been my aim to discharge my duties towards society to the best of my humble ability and I can assure you that your approbation will act as a powerful stimulant to fresh exertion and redoubled zeal. Whatever may have been effected in improving the condition of the town or the condition of the poor can, in a very slight degree indeed, be attributed to me - far more being owing to the very efficient assistance given by your Lordship and others whom I need not particularise. With regard to my professional success, I believe that were the truth to be told, it would be found that as much is effected by the salubrious air of Ardrossan, its bracing winds and healthial position, as by the skill or drugs of the physician. When invalids from a city come here, they exchange the din, the smoke and the bustle of a large town for the noise of the waves and the purity of the sea breeze – they exchange exercise in their counting rooms for exercise on a coast – and the beneficial effects of these changes alone upon a harassed constitution it would be difficult to estimate. Allow me in conclusion to express my gratitude for your magnificent gift and my warmest wishes for your welfare.

The following toasts were then given and suitable acknowledged – Mr Graham Gilbert by Lord Eglinton; the Committee of Subscribers and Lady Eglinton by Mr Oswald, Member of Parliament; the Noble Chairman by Dr MacFadzean; Mrs MacFadzean by Mr Campbell of Craigie; the Member of the County by Major Dalziell et cetera, et cetera. The meeting then broke up, having passed a couple of hours in a very pleasant manner, every one having been highly delighted by the admirable tact, eloquence and urbanity which his Lordship displayed in discharge of his duties as chairman.

George
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

George. I never knew what that monument was about so thank you for the article.
The threetowners forum is so informative and it's contributions from everyone that makes sure they are as correct as can be that makes the forum a wonderful forum to be a part of.
If you ever find out what happened to the painting and if it still exists then I know you'll let us know.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

SHIP FOUNDERED
1 NOVEMBER 1921

MARGERY

The wooden sailing smack MARGERY, built by Peter Barclay & Son, Ardrossan, for John Kerr, Corrie, Arran, and launched in 1874, foundered 1.5 miles off the Holy Isle.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
1 NOVEMBER 1902

SMACK SUNK OFF ARDROSSAN

Yesterday afternoon the smack MARY sank within a quarter of a mile of Ardrossan Harbour. The smack was loaded with coal for Rothesay, and carried on a regular traffic between Ardrossan and other ports.

A stiff breeze was blowing, and there was a heavy sea on. Soon after the smack set out it shifted a large quantity of water, and as the hatchway was open the smack filled and rapidly sank.

The three men forming the crew were in a perilous position, and if the pilot boat had not arrived promptly and taken them on board they might have sank.

The smack is lying in a dangerous position.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
2 NOVEMBER 1887

DISASTROUS OCCURRENCE AT ARDROSSAN
HARBOUR EXCAVATIONS FLOODED

Yesterday an unusually high tide was experienced at Ardrossan – higher than any remembered for a number of years. The extreme weight of the water told severely on the substantial coffer-dam erected across the old harbour by Mr Lawson, the contractor, and shortly after the workmen employed with the barrier had gone for dinner about 30 yards of the structure on the south side gave way, and the water came pouring in so quickly that the few men employed had some difficulty in saving themselves.

Twenty minutes after the smash the entire area, which was in process of excavation, extending to several acres, was completely submerged. All movable matter, including boats, punts, cranes, &c., outside the barrier, were carried through the opening and driven upon the beach, while waggons, wheelbarrows, and all sorts of implements used within the barrier shared a similar fate.

So high was the tide when the accident happened that the coffer-dam was almost covered, and it was feared that the entire structure had given way; but when the tide receded it was found that the damage had been confined to the portion indicated.

Immediately after the accident a large number of men were engaged in small boats picking up the floating material.

It was fortunate that the bulk of the men and horse were absent for dinner when the collapse took place, or the consequences might have been much more serious.

The crash made by the breaking timbers was heard a long way off.

At some parts of the harbour, we believe, the cuttings had been made to a depth of over twelve feet, and this of course will render the work of pumping out all the more difficult when it is undertaken, which cannot be until the coffer-dam is repaired.

Many loaded waggons were capsized by the force of the rushing water, while one of the locomotive engines had a narrow escape of being engulfed.

About 900 men were employed at the extension works, and the great majority of them will be thrown out of employment for a considerable time. Yesterday groups of them were to be found in various quarters of the town discussing the grave nature of the catastrophe.

The scene at the works presents a sad appearance, the large area of ground hitherto occupied by hard-working men, active horse, and steaming locomotives being now a sheet of water ebbing and flowing with the tide.

The coffer-dam was of such a substantial nature that it was supposed capable of resisting any storm.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

LAUNCH AT ARDROSSAN
2 NOVEMBER 1867

ELIZABETH & JANE

The wooden sailing sloop ELIZABETH & JANE – 65 feet in length, 17 feet in breadth, and 7 feet in depth – built by Barr & Shearer, Ardrossan, for Robert McMillan, Ardrossan, was launched on the above date.

[Further details of this vessel are contained in the following link:-

https://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?y ... H+%26+JANE
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
2 NOVEMBER 1874

CHUSAN INQUIRY

This inquiry opens at Ardrossan this morning, and promises to be somewhat protracted, no fewer than thirty witnesses having been summoned.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

George, I've been thinking and I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a painting of Dr McFadzean in the town hall. Whether it is the same one I wouldn't know and of course
I might be wrong as I can't remember where I did read it. So only a thought.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
3 NOVEMBER 1917

DEATH ON SERVICE

NICOL: Died of wounds on 15th October, DONALD BROWN NICOL, Australian Imperial Force, aged 20 years, dearly loved son of Mrs. Nicol, New South Wales, and late Archie Nicol, and nephew of Janet Nicol, Ardrossan.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
3 NOVEMBER 1905

LAUNCH AT ARDROSSAN

The Ardrossan Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Company Limited launched yesterday the steamer JERFALCON, which they have built for Messrs Henry Lamont & Company, Glasgow, for their Glasgow and Liverpool trade.

The vessel is 146 feet in length, 23 feet 6 inches broad, and 10 feet 11 inches in moulded depth, and has been built to carry about 380 tons on a moderate draught.

She was named by Miss Lamont.

[Further details of this vessel, including two photographs when later named MADGE WILDFIRE, are contained in the following link:-

https://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?y ... =JERFALCON
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

LAUNCH AT ARDROSSAN
3 NOVEMBER 1854

NAPOLEON THE THIRD

The wooden sailing vessel NAPOLEON THE THIRD – 179 feet in length, 28 feet in breadth, and 19 feet in depth – built by Barr & Shearer, Ardrossan, for Peter and Thomson Aikman & Company, Glasgow, was launched on the above date.

[Further details of this vessel are contained in the following link:-

https://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?y ... +THE+THIRD