Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
27 APRIL 1885

FOOTBALL
WEST KILBRIDE ATHLETIC v. ARDROSSAN

Ended in favour of West Kilbride by 3 goals to two.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
27 APRIL 1888

DEATH

GOODWIN: At Dumbarton, on the 25th instant, aged 4 years and 10 months, JACKIE, son of John T. Goodwin, of Ardrossan.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
27 APRIL 1888

ARDROSSAN – HOUSE BUILDING

House building is being positively carried on here, several fine premises have been erected here lately in Hill Street and Vernon Street which branch off Glasgow Street in the north end, while new sites have been started off in the same vicinity.

About a stonecast south of these the new Lanarkshire-Ayrshire Railway Station is fast getting into shape, while at Burnfoot a fine new mansion-house is being built by a Greenock firm for Provost Hogarth, Ardrossan.

Several houses have been finished on the road between Ardrossan and Saltcoats, so that the two towns are almost joined by buildings.

Close by at the Episcopal Church, an elegant new parsonage has been erected, and should soon be ready for occupation.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Penny Tray wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:28 pm Sorry to hear that Edith, Ardrossan born, died yesterday, aged 92.
Edith MacArthur was born at 2 Arran Place, Ardrossan on 8 March 1926. She is featured at Ardrossan Academy on one of the Heritage Trail Blue Plaques.

George
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by canfactory »

I was sorry to read of Edith MacArthur's passing. She used to come into our office when she was in Ardrossan visiting her mother and brother and a very pleasant lady she was too. In the mid-80's I saw her in a play in Edinburgh acting with Walter Carr and John Grieve. Sadly, all of them gone now.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Penny Tray wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:51 am GLASGOW HERALD
27 APRIL 1888

ARDROSSAN – HOUSE BUILDING

House building is being positively carried on here, several fine premises have been erected here lately in Hill Street and Vernon Street which branch off Glasgow Street in the north end, while new sites have been started off in the same vicinity.
Can someone tell me where Vernon street was or is?
I know where Vernon Terrace was.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Netta,

Firstly, to the best of my knowledge there never has been a Vernon Street in Ardrossan, save that the one in Saltcoats might sometimes have been referred to as Vernon Street, Parish of Ardrossan.

Secondly, some of the old newspapers are extremely difficult to read and this one was no exception. However, I am sure it was saying Vernon Street, Ardrossan.

Thirdly, on the basis that Eglinton Road, Ardrossan (which is exactly in the same vicinity as Vernon Terrace) was originally Eglinton Street and changed because of the confusion that was being caused with the thoroughfare of the same name in Saltcoats, I'm wondering if the original plan was to name Vernon Terrace, Vernon Street, but changed for the same reason as beforehand.

Fourthly, just to confuse matters, since it's only a few days since we discovered a Lorne Place in Ardrossan that nobody had previously heard of, I have found one family intimation in the 17 June 1898 edition of the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald (database) for the birth of a male child, McKelvie, at Vernon Street, Ardrossan, but I'm thinking this might be a transcription error.

Stop being so eagle-eyed :lol: !
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
28 APRIL 1880

SCOTTISH BANKRUPT

Examination – HUGH BOYD, shipowner, Ardrossan – to be examined in the Sheriff Court-House, Kilmarnock, 5th May, at eleven o’clock.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
28 APRIL 1872

LAUNCH AT ARDROSSAN

The firm of Messrs Barclay & Sons launched on Saturday afternoon a fine schooner for a Fleetwood firm.

She was named the “EMMA GRACE” and her neat model reflects credit on the builders.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
28 APRIL 1902

LAUNCH AT ARDROSSAN

The steel screw steamer RIVER TAY was launched from the Ardrossan dry dock on Saturday afternoon.

It was built by the Ardrossan Dry Dock & Shipbuilding Company, to the order of the River Tay Steamship Company, of Liverpool.

The vessel is of the raised quarterdeck type, 100 A1 at Lloyd’s, special survey, and is constructed to carry 600 tons deadweight.

Its dimensions are: - 165 feet between perpendiculars, 25 feet 6 inches moulded breadth, 11 feet 3 inches in moulded depth.

Messrs Hutson & Son (Limited), Glasgow, will supply the engines.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
28 APRIL 1934

FOOTBALL
SCOTTISH JUNIOR CUP SEMI-FINAL

Benburb, 3; Ardrossan Winton Rovers, 1.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Penny Tray wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:42 am Netta,

Firstly, to the best of my knowledge there never has been a Vernon Street in Ardrossan, save that the one in Saltcoats might sometimes have been referred to as Vernon Street, Parish of Ardrossan.

Secondly, some of the old newspapers are extremely difficult to read and this one was no exception. However, I am sure it was saying Vernon Street, Ardrossan.

Thirdly, on the basis that Eglinton Road, Ardrossan (which is exactly in the same vicinity as Vernon Terrace) was originally Eglinton Street and changed because of the confusion that was being caused with the thoroughfare of the same name in Saltcoats, I'm wondering if the original plan was to name Vernon Terrace, Vernon Street, but changed for the same reason as beforehand.

Fourthly, just to confuse matters, since it's only a few days since we discovered a Lorne Place in Ardrossan that nobody had previously heard of, I have found one family intimation in the 17 June 1898 edition of the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald (database) for the birth of a male child, McKelvie, at Vernon Street, Ardrossan, but I'm thinking this might be a transcription error.

Stop being so eagle-eyed :lol: !
PT, I googled Vernin street, Ardrossan before I asked the question and got the one in Saltcoats. I tend to think it was Vernon Terr, with a name change as the article said the two street were off Glasgow street