Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Post by meekan »

I don't remember having heard of HMS Pactolus I assume it was a naval base but where?
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

She was a submarine depot ship at Ardrossan!

http://www.the-weatherings.co.uk/pccship0382.htm
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

22 MAY 1940

LAUNCH AT ARDROSSAN

The naval trawler ALMOND, built by Ardrossan Dockyard Limited – 160 feet in length; 27 feet 6 inches in breadth; and 10 feet 6 inches in depth – was launched at Ardrossan Harbour.

A photograph of the vessel is available in the following link:-

http://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?ye ... sel=ALMOND
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

23 MAY 1918

LAUNCH AT ARDROSSAN

The naval minesweeper BAGSHOT, built by Ardrossan Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Company Limited – 231 feet in length; 28 feet 6 inches wide; and 7 feet 6 inches draft – was launched at Ardrossan Harbour.

Two photographs of the vessel are available in the following link:-

http://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?ye ... el=BAGSHOT
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Hughie wrote:Image
So sad, Hughie, I know there were so many. My grampa went out to register his newborn, enlisted came back a wee bit addled. His 'newborn' answered the door when he got back, very suspicious of a strange man at the door lol! Grampa comes in and threatens them all with a lightbulb saying it was a bomb and he'd use it if he didn't get peace and quiet. They had gas lamps then, never had seen a lightbulb. He was a character until the day he died.
Please excuse me if I've posted this before...I'm having difficulties trying to research, recap etc. Not very computer literate :(
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

Hughie
Thanks for posting the death of my Uncle George, what I find interesting in the description is the fact that
George and his family all lived in the same small tenement in Winton Street as his parents and the rest of the large Cook family.
I guess during the war there was'nt much availability of housing. George died in Burma fighting the Japanese
His body was never brought home and even the Commonwealth Graves Commission do not know where it is.
His name is on the Rangoon Memorial as well as the one in Glasgow Street. His Wife re-married and emigrated to Australia in the early 50's.

Bob
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Robert,

Always good to hear from you. I anticipated that you would respond to Hughie's post and you didn't disappoint.

While you're about, can you throw any light on WILLIAM COOK whose name appears on the WW1 Memorial at Ardrossan but of whom no information appears to be available? No family intimation was made in the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald at the time, and not even the late 'Geomacintyre' who researched WW1 matters seems to have come up with anything, even after having sought information on Threetowners on 26 November 2013.

I'm wondering if WILLIAM was a middle name by which he was called, perhaps to avoid confusion in the family home because he and his father had the same Christian name, and that thereafter nobody ever called him anything but WILLIAM?
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

Hello PT
I had sent the picture and notice to Hughie earlier in the month as I am technically challenged and was unable to post myself. As far as William Cook goes he is not related as far as I know. My grandfather George Cook Sr.
and his father Robert Cook were from Maybole and moved to Ardrossan in 1907. My Great Grandfather Robert
found the stone sarcophogus on Cannon Hill. I went to school with Billy cook again no relation perhaps the William you refer to is a relative of his.

Bob
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Bob's cousins, George and Marjory Cook were twins in my class at Winton but left for Australia around 1949. Got re-aquanted with George during our teenage years when he came back to Ardrossan for a holiday. :)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

24 MAY 1864

LAUNCH AT ARDROSSAN

The wooden sailing smack CATHERINE THOMSON, built by Joseph Russell, Ardrossan, for Archibald Thomson, Ardrossan, was launched at Ardrossan Harbour.

Further details are available on the following link:-

http://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?ye ... NE+THOMSON
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
24 MAY 1886

LAUNCH AT ARDROSSAN

There was launched at Ardrossan on Saturday afternoon from the yard of the Ardrossan Shipbuilding Company a finely modelled schooner (three-masted) of the following dimensions – 102 feet, 22 feet 6 inches, 11 feet – 150 tons register.

The vessel was named the MAGGIE W. SMITH by the daughter of one of the owners, after whom she is named.

The new vessel, which is owned by Mr. John Smith, shipping agent, and Captain A. Thomson, and others, is intended for the Newfoundland trade.

Further details of this vessel are available on the following link:-

http://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?ye ... E+W.+SMITH