Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
31 MARCH 1869

ARDROSSAN

The screw steamer COUNTESS OF EGLINTON, Kinnear master, from Belfast to this port with a general cargo and passengers, got on Campbell Rock, about half a mile to the southward of the entrance to Ardrossan Harbour, about three o’clock yesterday morning, but with the aid of men and material from Messrs Barr & Shearer’s shipbuilding yard, and the harbour tug boat, she was got off about two o’clock in the afternoon, and is now safe in the harbour.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Can't remember hearing the name Campbell rock before. Where could that be I wonder? Maybe Saltcoats area?
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Campbell Rock is off the Inches, a bit further out into deep water from the Castle Craigs rock formation.

Hopefully you can see it on the following link:-

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/recor ... os6inch2nd
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

The Campbell Rock is shown in this extract from an 1895 map.

George
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

EVENING TIMES
1 APRIL 1952

INTO THE BREACH

Mr. Wilson Barrett has come to the aid of the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Players for their forthcoming production of “The Hasty Heart.”

He has agreed to allow one of his company, Miss EDITH MacARTHUR, to lay the only female role in the play, that of the nurse.

Miss MacArthur, however, is no stranger to Ardrossan and Saltcoats audiences.

For several years before joining the Wilson Barrett Company she was a leading light in the Players and these audiences were in no way surprised to hear of Miss McArthur’s recent successes on the stage and radio.

Miss MacArthur has kept up her contacts with the Players and several years ago, when one of the cast took suddenly ill, she stepped into the breach, learned a difficult part in 24 hours, and gave a flawless performance.
Last edited by Penny Tray on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Penny Tray wrote:Campbell Rock is off the Inches, a bit further out into deep water from the Castle Craigs rock formation.

I never knew that, always just called that area the Inches. Now I'm wondering how it got the name Campbell rock? Proving again that every day is a school day.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
2 APRIL 1852

GLASGOW, KILMARNOCK, AND ARDROSSAN RAILWAY COMPANY

The usual half-yearly meeting of this company should have taken place on Tuesday, but no quorum came forward, and the business was therefore adjourned.

A bill is now before Parliament for the dissolution of this company, which is concurred in, we believe, by the greater part of the shareholders.
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by canfactory »

Interesting to read about Edith McCarthur. When I worked in Ardrossan around 1970 or 71 she used to come in to the office, sometimes with her brother. She lived at that time in Richmond but used to travel up to visit her mother who was still in the town. We liked her a lot, very pleasant and courteous.

Campbell
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
5 APRIL 1876

ARDROSSAN – TOWN COUNCIL

The monthly meeting was held on Monday evening under the presidency of Provost Barr.

It was reported that repairs on drains and pavements had been attended to.

The clerk read a letter from the Glasgow and South-Western Railway Company in reference to the contemplated improvements at the station and harbour.

The company proposed to shift the present level crossing at Princes Street about 20 yards southwards, and tracings were submitted showing the plan of the proposed changed.

The latter was, after consideration, remitted to the magistrates, who were to report to a future meeting of the council.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
6 APRIL 1981

MOTHER SEES GIRL THROWN INTO AIR AS SPEEDBOATS COLLIDE

A housewife watched from the shore at the week-end as her nine-year-old daughter was thrown into the air after two speedboats crashed in the Firth of Clyde three miles of Largs, Ayrshire.

Mr. Alistair Mack, a builder, his wife, May, 30, and Sharon, nine, Elizabeth, four, and one-year-old Gordon had been afloat for the first day of the season aboard their 21 ft. craft.

When they returned to Largs they found the tide was too low to let them get their boat back on to its trailer for the journey home to Carlung Place, West Kilbride.

So Mr. Mack and Sharon put back out to sea to kill time while Mrs. Mack collected the family car and trailer and prepared to recover the boat at the Largs slipway.

She said yesterday: “I was standing on the quay when I heard a crash, spun round and saw an orange object fly through the air to land in the water. I realised that it was Sharon’s life jacket that had caught my eye.”

Sharon’s father was also pitched into the sea by the impact. They landed some distance from both boats and it was 10 minutes before they managed to get aboard the other craft.

Aboard the other boat with owner Gerald Lucas, 32, a company director, of Dykesmains Road, Saltcoats, and his friend, Campbell Scott, a painter, of Chapelhill Mount, Ardrossan, the Macks quickly realised Mr. Lucas’s boat was sinking rapidly.

All four managed to scramble safely into the Macks’ craft before the other speedboat went down.

The Largs inshore rescue boat answered the call. It went back to shore with Sharon.

The Macks recovered quickly from their ducking.

Neither skipper could account for the high speed collision. Both reckoned they may have been blinded by the glare of the setting sun on the water.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Feeling old I think I remember this :(
Those wimin were in the nip.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

meekan wrote:
Penny Tray wrote:Campbell Rock is off the Inches, a bit further out into deep water from the Castle Craigs rock formation.

I never knew that, always just called that area the Inches. Now I'm wondering how it got the name Campbell rock? Proving again that every day is a school day.
Now Bobby is wondering how The Inches got that name.