Saltcoats - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Saltcoats - On This Day In History

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
20 JANUARY 1943

M.B.E. FOR SCOTS ENGINEER
STAYED BELOW AFTER TORPEDO ATTACK

Third Engineer Officer GILBERT BRODIE, of Saltcoats, who receives the M.B.E., is the only Scot to figure in the latest list of Merchant Navy awards published in the “London Gazette” last night.

After his ship had been torpedoed he volunteered to return to the engine room to restart the main engines, although he knew he stood little chance if the U-boat, which was still near, scored another hit.

The citation states that the ship sailing alone, was subjected to three U-boat attacks, which caused considerable damage. The first attack was made in daylight, and the enemy was immediately engaged with the defensive armament. After the third torpedo had struck the ship it was thought she was sinking and the engines were stopped.

The master, Captain Peter Johnson, of South Shields, who receives the O.B.E., decided to make an attempt to save her, and Third Engineer Brodie and Seventh Engineer Eric George Booth, of Falmouth, who also receives the M.B.E., volunteered to return to the engine room to start the main engines.

This courageous action, undertaken with the full knowledge that the submarine was still in the vicinity and that they would stand little chance if the vessel was hit again, made possible the saving of the vessel.

ENEMY BEATEN OFF

The master displayed great courage and skill in beating off the enemy, and his skill and determination and resource brought his crippled ship to port under her own power.

Third Officer Brodie, who is 22 years of age, is the eldest son of Mr and Mrs Hugh Brodie, 13 McNay Crescent, Saltcoats. He has been at sea since March 1940, and has not been home since April of last year. He has not told his parents about his brave act. He was educated at St. Michael’s College, Irvine, and served as an engineer at Ardrossan. His father is an engineer in a West of Scotland factory, and was at sea during the last war.

The list of those commended for brave conduct when their ships encountered enemy vessels, submarines, aircraft, or mines, included the name of the following Scot:-

Chief Officer MALCOLM ALEXANDER CONNELL, ‘Holmlea,’ Jack’s Road, Saltcoats.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Penny Tray wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:10 am GLASGOW HERALD
17 JANUARY 1894

LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Sir,

SALTCOATS STREETS

Interested as I am in property in Saltcoats, I am at a loss to understand the administration of the street broach of the affair our local Parliament.

The streets which they wish us, as owners to macadamise are, in my humble view, streets under their management, and fall to be macadamised (i.e. laid with road-metal and rolled) at the expense of the individual owner. The streets have long been used by all and sundry for carriages, carts, and other traffic.

In making inquiries at other places, I find County Councils are taking over side-streets – as they call them – and are metalling them.

If our Commissioners are to insist in the present course of action, Saltcoats streets would have been better under the management of the County Council.

In conversation with a road surveyor of undoubted ability in such matters, he informs me that by far the simplest plan is for our local Parliament to metal a number of the streets; that this can be done for about £1500; and to borrow this sum for 40 or 50 years means about 1d per £1 on the road rate.

I hope my brother owners will see to this without delay, and in the event of our Commissioners declining to revoke their present course of action, we should all combine in an appeal to the Sheriff. On an inquiry, I find the time for so appealing expires on the 24th instant.

I am &c.
AYR
GLASGOW HERALD
22 JANUARY 1894

LETTER TO THE EDITOR

SIR,

SALTCOATS STREETS

The letter of “AYR” in the Herald today (17 January, 1894) does not surprise me.

I have of late given the street question some consideration, and I hold the opinion that the streets scheduled for being macadamised at the expense of the owners of property in these streets should be added to the list of highways as they are, and thereafter macadamised, all necessary expenses being defrayed out of the road assessments. This is the more equitable course to follow.

And eminent judge recently, in disposing of a footpath case said:-

“He regretted litigation of this sort exceedingly. It would be very much for the general public convenience all round, and probably for the street and paths, if they were under public authority and control and under the charge of public officers whose duty it would be to see that all the streets and pavements were left in good order, and to raise the money necessary for the purpose by general assessments. It had always appeared to him that there was a great inconvenience in calling upon individual proprietors to do the work opposite their own doors. It led also to increased expense. He did not know that Parliament had need to interfere where there was already a power taking over, and he would strongly suggest for the consideration of those who had authority in the matter whether it would not be advantageous to take over as he had indicated.”

I would suggest a meeting of the Commissioners, when I am sure, on reconsideration, they will repair the streets named at the general expense of those who use them, and not as the proprietors.

I am &c.
LEX.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
23 JANUARY 1920

CARNEGIE HERO CERTIFICATE

At a meeting of Ardrossan Town Council, Mr ANDREW DICK, Saltcoats, was presented with the Carnegie Hero Certificate and £10, awarded for his gallantry in saving a boy in Ardrossan Harbour.
sheenaj
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sheenaj »

Penny Tray wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:17 am GLASGOW HERALD
20 JANUARY 1943
Chief Malcolm Alexander Connell,was married to my 1st Cousin Janet Strain Seggie.[her Father James, was my Gt Uncle].Penny do you know what Malcolm was award
[ed / And citation. I did not see any award attributed to him thru Ancestry.com
Sheena

"Chief Officer MALCOLM ALEXANDER CONNELL, ‘Holmlea,’ Jack’s Road, Saltcoats."
sheenaj
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sheenaj »

It's ok found info He was awarded 'King's Commendation for Brave Conduct' whilst serving as Chief Officer aboard MV Eliseo 4/01/1943. He was also later awarded the MBE in King's New Years Honors 1945.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
24 JANUARY 1901

THE DEATH OF QUEEN VICTORIA

SALTCOATS – When news of the sad event reached here the town and church bells were tolled. Several public functions have been postponed.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
28 JANUARY 1873

ASSAULT WITH INTENT

At Kilmarnock Sheriff Court yesterday – before Sheriff Anderson and a jury – GEORGE PORTER, a hawker, residing in Harbour Street, Saltcoats, Saltcoats, was brought up on the alternative charge of assault with intent, or indecent behaviour towards a girl, 11 years of age, in his own house, on the 24th ult.

He pleaded not guilty, but after hearing evidence the jury returned a unanimous verdict of guilty of the minor offence, at the same time recommending him to the leniency of the Court on account of previous good character.

Porter, who is a widower, 53 years age, was sentenced to eight months’ imprisonment.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
30 JANUARY 1867

FREE PRESBYTERY

A meeting of the Free Presbytery of Irvine was held in Kilmarnock yesterday – Rev. Mr McIndoe, of Galston, officiating as Moderator.

Commissioners appeared from the East Free Church, Rothesay, and lodged a call from that congregation to the Rev. Joseph Davidson of Saltcoats. The call was signed by 401 communicants and 81 adherents.

The Presbytery received the documents, and agreed that commissioners from both congregations should be heard on 28 February.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
1 FEBRUARY 1901

QUEEN VICTORIA’S FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS

Saltcoats:

Notices have been issued that the shops will be closed all day on Saturday.

A church service will be held in the Parish Church on Saturday at two o’clock.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
2 FEBRUARY 1901

QUEEN VICTORIA’S FUNERAL

Saltcoats:

The Town Council and other local bodies and societies meet in in the Town Hall before proceeding to the Parish Church to attend the memorial service.

The shops will be closed all day.

At an emergency meeting of the Ardrossan, Saltcoats and Stevenston Wine, Spirt, and Beer Defence Association, held yesterday at Saltcoats, it was unanimously agreed that all licensed premises be closed all day today.

It was also agreed that the various hotel proprietors in the district strictly observe the Sunday rules on that day.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

WIKIPEDIA SHIPWRECKS
3 FEBRUARY 1818

THE JAMES HAMILTON

The vessel JAMES HAMILTON, while on a voyage from Saltcoats to Dublin, was driven ashore in the Bay of Laggan, Islay.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
4 FEBRUARY 1926

SCHOOL MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

At a meeting of the School Management Committee of No. 9 Area (Ayrshire) at Ardrossan it was agreed to recommend to the Education Authority the appointment of Mrs Fullerton, Saltcoats, as a member in place of the Rev. R. P. Fairlie, resigned.