Saltcoats - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Saltcoats - On This Day In History

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
3 SEPTEMBER 1885

DEATH

MITCHELL: At Hamilton Street, Saltcoats, on the 2nd instant, JANET ADAM, 82 years, wife of James Mitchell.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Penny Tray wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:59 am GLASGOW HERALD
26 AUGUST 1884

DEATH

COLVIN: Drowned bathing at Saltcoats, on the 25th instant, on the 25th instant, CONSTANCE HELEN, third daughter of the Rev. R. Colvin, Edinburgh.

YOUNG LADY DROWNED AT SALTCOATS

The Plumb Rock, a reef which runs into the sea on the west shore opposite Melbourne Terrace, was yesterday forenoon the scene of a distressing drowning fatality.

Three young ladies, daughters of the Rev. R. Colvin, Edinburgh, went in to bathe at a quarter to eleven near the reef above mentioned. Miss Constance, who was unable to swim, got beyond her depth, and cried out for help. Her sisters went to her assistance, Miss Alice catching her and trying to bring her into shallow water. The current, however, proved too strong, and after a hard struggle, the unfortunate young lady slipped from her grasp and sank. Unfortunately there was no one at hand to render assistance.

The sisters raised an alarm, and a boat put off from the harbour, a short distance off, manned by James Shedden, John Shedden, and James Miller.

On reaching the scene of the accident the young lady was found in eight or nine feet of water. The body was conveyed home, and Doctor Brown was quickly in attendance, but his efforts to restore animation were fruitless, the young lady having been in the water nearly half-an-hour.

At this point of the shore several drowning accidents took place some years ago. A Glasgow merchant lost his life there about ten or twelve years ago while bathing. After that a beacon of warning with the word "danger" was put up. It is said that the water suddenly deepens and there is a dangerous current there. Further along, on both sides, there are safe bathing places.

Much sympathy is felt for Rev. Mr Colvin and family, who have been residing at Greenhead Cottage during the month of August.
GLASGOW HERALD
3 SEPTEMBER 1884

SIR,

BATHING ACCIDENT AT SALTCOATS

I have to thank you for the kindly manner in which you have noticed the sore affliction which has befallen me and my family at Saltcoats by the sudden loss of my dear daughter, and for the sympathy you have expressed with us in our time of trouble. But you will, I trust, permit me to correct some inaccuracies which have naturally enough occurred in the hasty report of the event, and which I feel it due to my surviving daughter, still suffering from the effects of the awful shock, to request you to contradict.

My daughter Alice was not present, as the report stated, as she remained in the house that morning. My second daughter Annie went in with her two younger sisters, Constance and Minnie, to bathe, not as was stated, “at the Plumb Rock, where the danger sign was pointed,” but a considerable distance to the right, and near the place where they had been in the habit of bathing safely. The tide being far out, they got into deep water immediately in one of the pools left by the tide. My dear daughter had not a “hard struggle,” as when her elder sister caught her she was insensible. Death would seem to have been instantaneous, and resulted from fainting or paralysis by cramp.

We have met with an amount of sympathy and kindness which I can only characterise as overwhelming and which I take the public opportunity of acknowledging, if you will allow me to do so.

May I take this opportunity of calling public attention to the importance of taking measures to provide against the occurrence of such heartrending accidents at our se-bathing resorts.

When I was at Boulogne two years ago a lifeboat was always out during the time bathing was going on, and plenty of lifebuoys ready at hand to rescue in time of danger. Hence not a single casualty occurred to anyone among the thousands of bathers there. Could not a provision of the kind be made at Saltcoats? I shall be ready to head a subscription-list to establish permanently such a provision and deem it a better memorial of my daughter than any other that could be rendered.

I am etc.
Robert F. Colvin,
19 Strathearn Road,
EDINBURGH.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

3rd SEPTEMBER 1971

SALVATION ARMY RECRUIT

Ian Bell Sept 1971.jpg

Ian Barr, Saltcoats, is entering on full-time Salvation Army service and will study at the William Booth International Training College in London.

VENTURE SCOUTS AT CAMP

1st Saltcoats Venture Scout Unit held their summer camp this year at the Scout Activity Centre at Lochgoilhead.

Prior to the camp three members of the unit completed a 40 mile hike from Dunoon to Lochgoilhead as part of the Venture Scout Award. The warden of the centre having passed the boys' reports said that the reports were the best he had received for quite some time.

When the project for this winter - building canoes - is completed , the unit hopes to be able to go canoeing in the spring. They also intend going abroad next summer and preparations are well in hand for this.

Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 3rd September 1971

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

3rd SEPTEMBER 1971

AT THE CINEMAS

REGAL

Monday 6th September ALL WEEK

Clint Eastwood in Kelly's Heroes ( A )

One performance nightly at 7.15 pm Saturday matinee 2 pm

" Kelly's Heroes " ( all week ) stars Clint Eastwood as Kelly, leader of a wild gang of soldiers who are more interested in helping themselves than in winning the war. They hear of a vast store of gold bars behind enemy lines. Kelly negotiates with Oddball ( Donald Sutherland ) , the hippie type leader of a tank company, believed destroyed by the Germans. Oddball offers his Sherman tanks and eccentric followers for a cut of the gold. The group's attempts at getting the gold mean blasting bridges and battling with German soldiers. The allies believe Kelly and his men are heroes. The general sets off to join them and offer congratulations but arrives as they are in a full scale fight to get into the bank. They escape over the hills and the general is left wondering where his heroes are.

LA SCALA

Sunday 5th September 7 pm

Stewart Whitman and Janet Leigh in See You in Hell, Darling ( X )

and George Maharis in A Covenant with Death ( X )

Marie Liljedahl in Do You Want to Remain a Virgin Forever ? ( X ) 8.30pm

and The Legend of the Witches ( X ) 7 pm

" Do You Want to Remain a Virgin Forever ? " is the story of Eva, a sweet girl, shy about men, and a romantic who dreams about romantic love, tenderness and affection; and Warner, who is progressive and open-minded and does not understand Eva. Eva and her friend Yvonne leave for a holiday in Eva's father's yacht. Shortly after their arrival Eva is shocked by something and is practically turned into a man-hater. Warner and his friend have followed the two girls and Warner realises he loves Eva. The four spend some time at a nudist camp but Eva still rejects him. Back home they meet again. This time Warner treats Eva romantically, sending her flowers and gifts. Eva gradually loses her fear of men.

COUNTESS

Burt Lancaster in " Valdez is Coming " ( AA ) Continuous from 5.30 pm

Also Walk a Crooked Path

There is shooting galore in " Valdez is Coming " ( all week ), a western starring Burt Lancaster as a part-time constable who comes across a group of men trying to flush a black man out of a shack because they believed he killed a trader, James C Erin. Leader of the group is Tanner ( Jon Cypher ) who is determined to stop gossip that he himself killed Erin to get his wife, Gay ( Susan Clark ). While Valdez talks to the negro he is killed and Valdez is wounded. Tanner then admits they have the wrong man. This results in a long vendetta between Valdez and Tanner. Valdez is conscience stricken and is determined that the dead negro's pregnant wife should be supported by the townspeople. The men promise to donate money if Tanner donates half. Valdez dons his old cavalry uniform and sends Tanner a message , " Valdez is coming ". The battle is on.

Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 3rd September 1971

Susan
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
4 SEPTEMBER 1930

GOLF CLUBS

ARDROSSAN AND SALTCOATS – In the final of the Headrick Shield and club championship TOM ORR beat A. H. RUSSELL 2 and 1.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
5 SEPTEMBER 1892

FOOTBALL
SALTCOATS VICTORIA v. MAUCHLINE

These teams met at Saltcoats. The home team had the best of the play throughout, scoring one goal in the first half against the wind and four goals in the second half with the wind in their favour. Mauchline scored one point in the second half.

RESULT: - Victoria, 5 goals; Mauchline, one goal.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
5 SEPTEMBER 1882

Sir,

SALTCOATS FLOWER SHOW

I see a small mistake in your Saturday’s impression regarding Saltcoats Flower Show. It is stated that Henry Ward, Stirling, took the first prize for the floral ornament, which is not correct.

I hold the ticket for the first prize as awarded by the judges.

I am &c,
J. DUNCAN,
Holm Garden, Ardrossan.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
6 SEPTEMBER 1883

DEATH

MURCHIE: At Victoria Cottage, Saltcoats, on the 5th instant, aged 80 years, CHARLES MURCHIE.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
7 SEPTEMBER 1889

HORTICULTURE
ARDROSSAN, SALTCOATS AND STEVENSTON

Yesterday the annual flower show of this society took place in Kyleshill School. The weather was fine, and competitors were able to bring forward their exhibits in good condition.

Owing to the early season the display of cut flowers was not so large as usual, but some exhibits were of great excellence, notably gladioli. Of pot plants there was a very good display.

Fine collections of greenhouse plants were shown by Provost McIsaac, of Parkend; Mr. David Barbour, of West Point; Messrs J. B. Ross, florist; A. Kelso; James McMillan; and Gabriel Armour.

The hand and table bouquets of wild flowers were much admired. Of fruit there was a larger collection than usual, and it was of good quality. Vegetables were well represented.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
8 SEPTEMBER 1885

DEATH

BLYTH: At Church Place, Saltcoats, on the 4th instant, aged 77, Mr. HUGH MACKAY BLYTH, formerly in the service of the Clyde Trust.
Last edited by Penny Tray on Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
8 SEPTEMBER 1881

MARRIAGE

KERR – CRAIG: At 5 Hamilton Street, Saltcoats, on the 7th instant, by the Rev. D. McNab, of Ardrossan Parish, assisted by the Rev. John Crouch, Paisley, Captain JOHN KERR, to JANE RAMSAY, second daughter of Captain James Craig.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
9 SEPTEMBER 1889

FOOTBALL
SALTCOATS VICTORIA v. PAISLEY DYKEBAR SWIFTS
Played at Saltcoats.

Victoria, 7; Dykebar Swifts, 2.