Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Post by Penny Tray »

VESSEL FOUNDERED
13 SEPTEMBER 1907

The steel screw steamer RESOLUTE, built in 1906 by Ardrossan Dry Dock & Shipbuilding Company Limited for William Page, Milford Haven, foundered 140 miles west by south of St. Anne’s Head, Pembrokeshire.

[Further details of this vessel are contained in the following link:-

https://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?y ... l=RESOLUTE
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
13 SEPTEMBER 1957

FATAL ACCIDENT

Charles Angus Brown, electrician, 2 Paisley Street, Ardrossan, was fatally injured when his motor cycle was in collision yesterday with a bus on the Irvine/Kilmarnock road at Greenwood, Dreghorn, Ayrshire.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

LAUNCH AT ARDROSSAN
14 SEPTEMBER 1852

The wooden three-masted barque COUNTESS OF WINTON – 115 feet in length, 23 feet in breadth, and 16 feet in depth – built by Barr & Shearer, Ardrossan, for McDowall, Liverpool, was launched on the above date.

https://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?y ... +OF+WINTON
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
15 SEPTEMBER 1925

ARCTIC SHIP HELD UP BY ICE

Statements have appeared in the press to the effect that the Hudson Bay Company’s vessel BAYCHIMO, now in Western Arctic, has been seriously damaged.

The company now announce that according to the latest report from the captain, dated September 12, this is incorrect. The report makes no mention of any damage, but states that owing to the packing of the ice between Demarcation Point and Herschel Island it is at present impossible for the vessel to proceed westward on her homeward voyage, and it may, therefore, become necessary for her to winter at Herschel Island. She is fully equipped for such an emergency.

The BAYCHIMO was laid up during the winter at Ardrossan over two years ago.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

LAUNCH AT ARDROSSAN
16 SEPTEMBER 1853

The wooden three-masted sailing ship CONTEST – 179 feet in length, 43 feet in breadth, and 27 feet in depth- built by Barr & Shearer, Ardrossan, for Henry Moore & Company, Liverpool, was launched on the above date.

Further details of this vessel are contained in the following link:-

https://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?y ... el=CONTEST
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
16 SEPTEMBER 1865

TO THE EDITOR OF THE GLASGOW HERALD
THE CATTLE DISEASE IN AYRSHIRE

Sir – I write to you the following statement with a view to disabusing the public mind regarding the false accusations which have been brought against me in the newspapers:-

On the 17th of August last I bought seven bullocks from Messrs Swan & Sons, cattle-dealers, on the condition that they kept upon good grass those I could not take home. Mr. T. Swan, with whom the bargain was made, after consulting with his father, came to me and said, “Yes, you will get grass.” A short time afterwards, Thomas Swan came back to me, and asked me if I would purchase seven stots. I said, “No; that he knew very well I had no grass, and I had no use for them.” Mr. Swan said he would give me grass if I bought the animals, which I accordingly did.

The purchase price for the first seven beasts was £17, 10s, and that of the second seven, £11, 15s each, and it was also stipulated that I was to remove the whole fourteen within a fortnight from the day of purchase. Well, I paid £60, and took delivery of four of the animals, and, so far as I know, they were all free from disease of any kind.

On the Monday following I sent my boy to bring two of the stots, when, to my utter dismay he found them grazing on a bare field, and in such condition that I could not slaughter them unless they were put upon hay clover for a least three days.

Being alarmed at the condition of the beasts, and anxious to save them from starvation, I gathered as much money, at considerable inconvenience, as would enable me to send for the remaining eight.

When I was about to start for them I received a telegram from Thomas Swan, asking me when I intended to take away the beasts; and he having prepaid a reply, I telegraphed back my intention to leave for Glasgow by the two o’clock train.

On arriving at Glasgow, Mr. Swan, along with his two men, were on the platform. He asked me how many of the animals I would take, or if all of them. I said I would take them all. We then went to a public-house, where I paid the money for them, and after doing so remarked that in these troublesome times it would be necessary for me to have a certificate that the beasts were healthy. This he wrote and handed to his foreman, saying – Give this to Mr. Robertson when you deliver him the cattle at the park. Mr. Swan then left us, and the two men and I left together.

While walking along with them, they told me that one of the beasts was in the slaughter-house. I inquired what it was there for, and they told me it was sent by Mr. Swan for inspection; that it was killed, but had not yet been condemned, as Mr. McCall had found that it was only affected with murrain.

They advised me to go to the slaughter-house and see the animal, while they would go to the field for the others, and take them to the station.

When I went to the station the cattle were in the truck, and left for Kilwinning at three o’clock. On being let out of the truck there, one of the stots was lame. I then made up my mind to take them all home, kill one first, and send the rest to Mr. Bruce’s by the road. As the lame beast made slow progress, I made up my mind to leave it in Mr. Low’s park. Knowing that one would not remain by itself, I left along with the lame one another beast, as strong a one as I had, although hungered.

Now it was said in the newspapers that I had to leave two beasts in a field as they were unable to walk from disease, and that I, in order to blind the public, hurried them out at a different station, and took them home by a bye-road.

When I took home the other two animals I killed the lame one, not with the intention of selling it, but for the purpose of seeing whether or not it was diseased. After killing it I left it hanging in a room by itself. I also killed the other one, which I believed to be sound, and placed it in another room, when I found nothing wrong with it. Still I would not allow it to be taken into the shop for sale until it should be inspected.

And in order to do this quietly, without hurting anyone, I started at once to Glasgow expecting to meet Mr. Swan there, who I thought would reimburse me and allow me to buy what was condemned quietly. On finding him, however, he refused to do anything, notwithstanding that I had put my all into his hands.

This I know to be a fact, that Professor McCall inspected the cattle and ordered one of them killed, forbidding the remainder to be taken away without his permission. Now, Swan’s men must have known all this, yet they wait at the station, apprised of my coming by the telegram, and get me to go to the slaughter-house to look at the carcase, while they proceed to the field and drive the animals to the station without allowing me to see them, or giving the slightest hint that they were diseased.

They were condemned, however, as such and buried, not so much as the tallow being preserved.

As I was from home at the time, and as Mr. Walker was the inspector for the district in which the cattle were, Mrs. Robertson, on the advice of a writer, sent for Professor McCall to examine the animals, sending notice to Mr. Walker not to go any further till Professor McCall should arrive. This notice, however, Mr. Walker disregarded, and went to the field and took out a hungry stot, which, it was admitted, would take a regiment to keep it out of a potato field, killed and buried it right off.

When Mr. McCall arrived he said he was sorry matters had gone so far, but that he could not act. Had he been authorised to do so, however, he would pass four, and have the other three killed; and in the event of the beef being sound, allow it to be passed also. With regard to the three white stots he saw nothing wrong with them, but advised Mrs. Robertson to get them killed, when Mr. Walker would see whether or not they were fit for human food.

Accordingly the three animals were killed, and after a careful examination Mr. Walker discovered a red blemish on some parts of the intestines. For this slight defect the animals along with the rest, were consigned to the earth, while they were so slightly affected that, before killing them, Mr. Andrews said he did not think there was anything wrong with them. Mrs. Robertson desired that they should not be buried until Monday, in norder that another inspection might be made but her request was refused.

To complete the matter, the absent husband was fined before the Provost of Ardrossan, on the Monday following, in the sum of £5, on the supposition that I had bought the animals, knowing that they were diseased, at a low figure; and this was done after all I was worth was put into the earth.

All this would not have been told had it been told only in part.

Yours etc.
THOMAS ROBERTSON.

GLASGOW HERALD
16 SEPTEMBER 1865

TO THE EDITOR OF THE GLASGOW HERALD
THE CATTLE DISEASE IN AYRSHIRE

Sir – I am happy to inform the public through your paper, that no more cases of the cattle plague have appeared within this burgh since the six cattle imported from Glasgow by Robertson the flesher were destroyed, and I hope we shall hear no more of that pestilence being amongst us.

Having been from home at the beginning of this week, I did not see a copy of your paper of Monday last till yesterday. In it I find a letter from Mr. Ferguson, Veterinary Surgeon, Ayr, finding fault with the one from me which appeared in your columns of 6th inst. Mr. Ferguson may be the accredited agent of the Ayrshire Agricultural Association, but that gives him no jurisdiction within this burgh, which, from a letter that appeared in your journal, he seemed to claim a right to, and took credit to himself for doing that which was done by another. I, however, would have passed this over; but I think the letter of Messrs J. & J. McMurtrie, annexed thereto, requires to be noticed. Had these gentleman looked to the orders of Privy Council they would have found that they were pursuing a wrong course; and this is not the first letter written by Mr. James McMurtrie in which I think he has arrogated to himself an importance I am not disposed to award him.

A copy of this letter, with my answer, I append hereto [previously posted], that the public may judge.

Referring to Mr. McMurtrie’s letter (written at the instance of these professional gentlemen), had I attempted to give instructions to destroy Mr. McCall’s five cows, or given orders in any way, I rather think I would have been amenable to him for my rashness; these five animals were slaughtered in the usual way, and I am informed by our Inspector (Mr. Walker) that they were perfectly sound and healthy.

I have further to state that our inspector contradicts in the most emphatic terms, the statement that these five animals “were standing amongst the blood and refuse of the deceased animals.”

Perhaps Messrs Ferguson & Fordie will inform you whether they have abstained from visiting any healthy stock since being in Ardrossan, this being in accordance with the advice they volunteered.

I am, yours truly,
JOHN BARR,
Provost.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
17 SEPTEMBER 1873

SUNDAY DRINKING

On Sunday it appears traffic in excisable liquors was being carried on in the steamship AMPHION, of Newry, while lying in Ardrossan harbour, and the steward, William Hollywood, was brought before the Justice of the Peace Court, Saltcoats, on Monday, charged with the offence.

He pleaded not guilty, but was convicted and fined £2 10s, with £1 5s expenses.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Penny Tray wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:52 am GLASGOW HERALD
5 SEPTEMBER 1919

VISIT OF ATLANTIC FLEET TO ARDROSSAN

Word has been received at Ardrossan from the Admiral Commander-in-Chief Atlantic and Home Fleets that the following arrangements have now been made regarding the visit of ships of the Atlantic Fleet to Ardrossan:-

H.M.S. QUEEN ELIZABETH (flying the flag of Admiral Sir Charles E. Madden, Bart., G.C.B., K.C.M.G., C.V.O., Commander-in-Chief Atlantic and Home Fleets), and H.M.S. LION, (flying the flag of Vice-Admiral Sir Roger Keyes, Bart., K.C.B., K.C.V.O., C.M.G., D.S.O., Commanding the battle cruiser Squadron), September 17 to September 21.

H.M.S. ITHURIEL and one ‘K’ class submarine, September 25 to September 29.

During the stay the vessels will be open to visitors.

GLASGOW HERALD
18 SEPTEMBER 1919

WARSHIP IN THE CLYDE
THE LION AT ARDROSSAN

H.M.S. LION flying the flag of Vice-Admiral Sir Roger Keyes, commanding the Battle Cruiser Squadron, arrived at Ardrossan yesterday from Llandudno.

Provost Chrystie and Mr. Wood, joint Town Clerk, paid an official visit on board and welcomed the officers and men on behalf of the townspeople.

Vice-Admiral Keyes, the hero of Zebrugge, was ashore during the day.

Arrangements are being made to convey visitors on board the vessel daily until Sunday inclusive. She leaves on Monday.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Penny Tray wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:50 am
Penny Tray wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:33 am GLASGOW HERALD
2 SEPTEMBER 1920

NEW VESSEL

The Ardrossan Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Company launched yesterday the cargo steamer DUNKERQUOIS, which they have built for La Compagnie des Bateaux a Vapeur du Nord, Dunkirk.

The vessel is of 5400 tons deadweight and 3160 tons gross, 331 feet in length, 47 feet in breadth, and 24 feet 6 inches in depth to upper deck.

The designed speed is about nine knots. Engines will be supplied by Messrs J. G. Kincaid and Company, Greenock.

https://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?y ... UNKERQUOIS
5 SEPTEMBER 1940

This vessel was requisitioned by Germany at Bordeaux.

DUNKERQUOIS
18 SEPTEMBER 1940

This vessel was sunk by an air attack at Le Harve.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Penny Tray wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:13 am
Penny Tray wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:52 am GLASGOW HERALD
5 SEPTEMBER 1919

VISIT OF ATLANTIC FLEET TO ARDROSSAN

Word has been received at Ardrossan from the Admiral Commander-in-Chief Atlantic and Home Fleets that the following arrangements have now been made regarding the visit of ships of the Atlantic Fleet to Ardrossan:-

H.M.S. QUEEN ELIZABETH (flying the flag of Admiral Sir Charles E. Madden, Bart., G.C.B., K.C.M.G., C.V.O., Commander-in-Chief Atlantic and Home Fleets), and H.M.S. LION, (flying the flag of Vice-Admiral Sir Roger Keyes, Bart., K.C.B., K.C.V.O., C.M.G., D.S.O., Commanding the battle cruiser Squadron), September 17 to September 21.

H.M.S. ITHURIEL and one ‘K’ class submarine, September 25 to September 29.

During the stay the vessels will be open to visitors.

GLASGOW HERALD
18 SEPTEMBER 1919

WARSHIP IN THE CLYDE
THE LION AT ARDROSSAN

H.M.S. LION flying the flag of Vice-Admiral Sir Roger Keyes, commanding the Battle Cruiser Squadron, arrived at Ardrossan yesterday from Llandudno.

Provost Chrystie and Mr. Wood, joint Town Clerk, paid an official visit on board and welcomed the officers and men on behalf of the townspeople.

Vice-Admiral Keyes, the hero of Zebrugge, was ashore during the day.

Arrangements are being made to convey visitors on board the vessel daily until Sunday inclusive. She leaves on Monday.

GLASGOW HERALD
19 SEPTEMBER 1919

WARSHIP IN THE CLYDE

A number of people who intended visit H.M.S. LION, lying off Ardrossan, were disappointed yesterday.

In the morning a breeze sprang up from the south-west, increasing in strength as the day wore on. In the afternoon H.M.S. LION, which was anchored in an exposed position, left for shelter in Lamlash Bay. She will return to Ardrossan when the weather moderates.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
19 SEPTEMBER 1902

OBITUARY
AN ARDROSSAN CLERGYMAN

The Rev. Robert Mordue, rector, St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, Ardrossan, has died suddenly.

On Sunday morning last Mr. Mordue had a paralytic stroke, and was unable to conduct the usual church services. He rallied somewhat on Sunday and Monday, but afterwards became gradually weaker.

The. Rev. Gentleman went to Ardrossan in March, 1882, and had been located there for fully 20 years. He conducted a mission in Irvine for a number of years, in addition to his work in Ardrossan. He was convenor of Ardrossan Academy since it came under the School Board, and was a consistent advocate of physical training for the young. It was largely through his means the cadet corps in the academy was formed.

FAMILY INTIMATION

At the Rectory, Ardrossan, on Wednesday, 17th instant, the Rev. Robert Mordue, in the 49th year of his age.
Last edited by Penny Tray on Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
20 SEPTEMBER 1875

ARDROSSAN – A SAILING BOAT SUNK

On Saturday forenoon, a young man on a visit here from London, narrowly escaped death by drowning.

He had gone out alone in a sailing boat and as the management of the sail was too much for him, the boat capsized and sank, while he was thrown into the water. He kept himself afloat with the aid of a board till he was picked up by a boat which was returning with workmen from the wreck of the CHUSAN, and brought him ashore in safety, little the worse of his ducking.