Stevenston Point Biodiversity Project

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Stevenston Point Biodiversity Project

Post by iain »

A significant area of Stevenston Beach Park has been marked out with small signs reminding Council employees not to mow certain sections of the extensive lawn area. Eventually, these sections of lawn will hopefully develop into (revert back to) coastal grassland. Even the first summer of this project should see the growth of an assemblage of flowers such as Common Vetch, Bird's-foot Trefoil, Red Clover, etc., which in turn should provide feeding opportunities for bees, butterflies, moths, etc.

Monitoring of the bee, wasp and butterfly species in these new grassland areas will take place throughout the summer in order to evaluate the effectiveness of the scheme for biodiversity.

Iain
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Stevenston Point Biodiversity Project

Post by morag »

Sounds good, Iain, let's hope it fulfills it's potential! :)
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Iain, that's great news, I'm sure it will re-establish itself. In less than 20 years it went from an industrial site to grass fields with a plethora of plant and insect life, not to mention the amphibians, all without mans intervention. It was a nesting sight for one of my favourite birds,the Sky Lark, I'm struggling to remember the last time I witnessed a Sky Lark soar into the sky singing it's wonderful song . With a bit of luck I might be able to repeat the joys of youth before I pop my clogs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

I noticed the signs appearing and wondered what the project was about, a search online didn`t turn anything up either. I was down that way a walk last night and sadly most of the wee signs have been knocked/kicked over, probably by some brain dead neds.
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

The pilot biodiversity project at the Beach Park has been more successful than I'd imagined in that within a few months of cutting stopping the uncut strip reverted to a mass of Bird's-foot Trefoil, Yarrow, Knapweed, Hawkweed, Daisy, etc. I attach a photograph taken a few weeks ago, with the Knapweed not yet in bloom.
Attachments
Wildflowers along road to Stevenston Point
Wildflowers along road to Stevenston Point
unicornheart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by unicornheart »

iain is this project connected to btcv by any chance?
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

Hi unicornheart,

No, BTCV weren't involved in the project. They stopped doing work in Stevenston a few months ago now. I'm not even sure if they still do work at Eglinton? The project is in large part due to Alistair Murdoch, who is a Ranger for North Ayrshire Council and who works with Ardeer FRIENDS on their various conservation projects. He managed to convince Grounds Maintenance (or are they called 'Street Scene' now?) to leave a long, broad strip of road verge to grow wild to see what happens (i.e. to see if it grows into rank grassland or pretty authentic coastal grassland).

Iain
unicornheart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by unicornheart »

thanks lain , i thought btcv were involved in project, because i remember going to see it and i was really interested, it looked really good!! it was Alistair and another guy that showed us around, as for eglinton park i think it is now the rangers that run the show. i was in btcv at eglinton park at time.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

iain, on Saturday when off duty I took the notion to drive up to Stevenston point. I have to confess to being a bit disappointed with regards to the land area given over to this project. It looked as though it was only a narrow strip at the side of the road, I was rather reluctant to walk the site due to the amount of traffic. There were trailers at the point but I couldn't see boats in the water, parking the car, I was met by the rasping noise of dirt bikes, mini dirt bikes, quads etc and those things that are like bogies/scutch/trace vehicles powered by wind canopies. I've never seen the point so busy. :evil:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

Hi little plum,

It is a disappointingly small area; however, I feel lucky even to get this small strip! It was most likely down to a fortuitous change of relevant Council personnel that this project was allowed to slip through.

It was framed from the start as a 'pilot' project; however, where it goes after this and how large an area will eventually be turned back into coastal grassland is uncertain.

The point is a funny 'mixed-use' site. Some people sitting in cars and staring out to sea, looking for peace and quiet; while some people are faffing about noisily on jet skis. Some people out for a stroll on the Beach Park; with other people zooming about at (literally!) break-neck speed.

Iain
unicornheart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by unicornheart »

i was really interested in the canal that if i remember correctly was first opened 1750??
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

Hi unicornheart,

I think the date was sometime in the 1770s. This month a funding application is being considered that, if successful, would put in place the final bit of money needed to hire consultants to project manage a large wetland project at Ardeer Quarry that, among other things, would investigate the excavation/restoration of part of the old canal.

It is an interesting and - surrounded by lots of wetland wildflowers - attractive feature.

Iain