Stevenston Point Biodiversity Project

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Stevenston Point Biodiversity Project

Post by morag »

From your lips to God's ears..I'm going to share this, if you don't mind, on the Stevenston then and now page on FB.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Hi Iain, North Ayrshire Council have been promoting their " local biodiversity plan" unfortunately I have been unable to access the details of this on their web site, would it be possible that the next time you are in contact with the council worker that we could get a direct link to this plan or more detailed information.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

Hi LP,

The most recent plan is at:

http://www.ayrshire-jsu.gov.uk/download ... 7-2010.pdf

A new plan has been in the pipeline for years, but the Local Biodiversity Action Plan steering group fell apart a few months ago not long after South Ayrshire Council walked out. Coordinating every professional with an environmental remit in Ayrshire proved impossible! It’s not clear what will happen next. In theory North Ayrshire Council could adopt its own plan, rather than an Ayrshire-wide one. I hope they do.

Iain
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Thanks Iain, I was hoping for something more like a mission statement from N.A.C. My last couple of visits to the point have been a real eye opener. There were between 30 and 40 cars at the point, this is taking in the off road area towards the sea wall and the 4x4's on the sand, 4 jet ski's launched from the new slipway , motorbikes of various descriptions and several caravans each with a dog kennel that I suspect belonged to travellers. To top it all off, there was a vessel sitting 50 yards off the point electro fishing for shellfish ( named Casey M) which I believe this method of fishing was banned in the late 90s.
Some of the vehicles were driving over the grass to avoid the numerous potholes on the road, I can see this becoming a regular route if nothing is done about the condition of the road.
Today things were a lot quieter, possibly due to the weather, only 2 travellers caravans left at the point. The strip is taking on more colour with the various plants that have established themselves. One that I could identify due to a previous post of mine on a separate topic was, the common spotted orchid, there's a cluster of them at the start of the strip.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

little plum wrote:Thanks Iain, I was hoping for something more like a mission statement from N.A.C. My last couple of visits to the point have been a real eye opener. There were between 30 and 40 cars at the point, this is taking in the off road area towards the sea wall and the 4x4's on the sand, 4 jet ski's launched from the new slipway , motorbikes of various descriptions and several caravans each with a dog kennel that I suspect belonged to travellers. To top it all off, there was a vessel sitting 50 yards off the point electro fishing for shellfish ( named Casey M) which I believe this method of fishing was banned in the late 90s.
Some of the vehicles were driving over the grass to avoid the numerous potholes on the road, I can see this becoming a regular route if nothing is done about the condition of the road.
Today things were a lot quieter, possibly due to the weather, only 2 travellers caravans left at the point. The strip is taking on more colour with the various plants that have established themselves. One that I could identify due to a previous post of mine on a separate topic was, the common spotted orchid, there's a cluster of them at the start of the strip.

It should be a lot quieter down there now that the Gypsies and the circus have left. The road is a total mess. Around 6 months ago workmen came and marked out all the areas to be repaired, they haven't been seen since. :?
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

GEODGC wrote:It should be a lot quieter down there now that the Gypsies and the circus have left. The road is a total mess. Around 6 months ago workmen came and marked out all the areas to be repaired, they haven't been seen since. :?
GEODGC, another group of travellers moved on to the point not long after the first group left. They were a bit unusual as most had tents with external stove and lum, the obligatory dogs, and wait for it, pony and traps. They have now moved on. More good news, the road has been repaired and the ponies have left a massive contribution to the biodiversity project. :lol:
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

little plum wrote:
GEODGC wrote:It should be a lot quieter down there now that the Gypsies and the circus have left. The road is a total mess. Around 6 months ago workmen came and marked out all the areas to be repaired, they haven't been seen since. :?
GEODGC, another group of travellers moved on to the point not long after the first group left. They were a bit unusual as most had tents with external stove and lum, the obligatory dogs, and wait for it, pony and traps. They have now moved on. More good news, the road has been repaired and the ponies have left a massive contribution to the biodiversity project. :lol:
I'm down there every day LP. I was gobsmacked the first day the other lot arrived. I wandered round from Trelawney Terace way and was confronted by 2 ponies wandering around :D . On a more unsavoury note, the travelers themselves have been contributing to the project. I was speaking to somebody down there yesterday and was told the tale of one unfortunate dog owner that was met by his dog covered in human excrement after it decided to have a roll around in it. :surprised:
aland
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by aland »

been taking the dogs down there recently at dusk and noticed rather a lot of estate cars with pillows and sleeping bags in them. is the point a dogging hotspot these days???
call me alan or al, labels are for tins of beans or soup not people. We are all Jock Tamson's bairns
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

aland wrote:been taking the dogs down there recently at dusk and noticed rather a lot of estate cars with pillows and sleeping bags in them. is the point a dogging hotspot these days???
Purely for research you understand i googled dogging in Stevenston and behind Potters seems to be the in place.
aland
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by aland »

5eulbdog7 wrote:
aland wrote:been taking the dogs down there recently at dusk and noticed rather a lot of estate cars with pillows and sleeping bags in them. is the point a dogging hotspot these days???
Purely for research you understand i googled dogging in Stevenston and behind Potters seems to be the in place.
thanks for the tip :wink: //perfect //funny
call me alan or al, labels are for tins of beans or soup not people. We are all Jock Tamson's bairns
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

After the recent storms I decided to take a trip up the point. I was shocked to see the extent of the erosion along the edge on the Saltcoats side, there's a large section of land and rock washed away where the sea defence stops at the old slipway with several others on a smaller scale further back.
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

It’s been a while since I posted an update on this issue. This year, the Council will pilot the re-wilding of large chunks of Stevenston Beach Park. The attached map shades in red what I understand to be the three areas that they will leave uncut this year. This is in large part a reflection of the Council's increasing awareness of biodiversity.
Attachments
Beach Park uncut.jpg