Stevenston Point Biodiversity Project

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
unicornheart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Stevenston Point Biodiversity Project

Post by unicornheart »

will need to look out for that project Iain, it really was interesting what they hoped to achieve if they got funding. thanks.
Davie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Davie »

I really hope that these projects are allowed to devlope and flourish, it seems in todays world the criteria is
if it grows wild cut it down.
I remember when at school ( i know, i know. ) we were taught nature and going into the country ( Brisbane
glen in largs ) to see wild flowers etc. in there natural habitat it was quite wonderous.
If projects like these are not allowed to suceed where will my grandchildern see nature in the raw, it is the
most difficult thing to explain, books and films don,t do justice to mother nature.
Future generations need to have nature close at hand so they can appreciate how wonderful it is.
A good bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

iain, I must apologise if my last post appeared a bit negative, it wasn't intended. I had it in my mind, N.A.C. are making drastic financial cutbacks and that most of the area would be left to go ferrel, thinking only the grass at the sides of the paths/roads being cut to an inch of its life. It's great to see how quickly the plant life has re established in the area. The plants that have found root are a perfect habitat for a moth that we called " a blin bat" hopefully it wont be long before this reappears. :)
insect_Six_Spot_Burnet_2_.jpg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

Hi little plum,

Don’t worry, I hadn’t taken your message that way at all. We’re certainly going to try to expand the area next year - the Council is very unpredictable though. That is a great shot of a Six-spot Burnet Moth. I’m sure they’ll invade the new wild area soon: it’s full of their larval food plant, Bird’s-foot Trefoil.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

iain, have you ever thought of scattering seeds in the area. Scotia seeds do a coastal selection, not that expensive, if it's a lack of funds, I wouldn't be adverse to making a donation. ( ooops small) :lol:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

and me too..
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

The coastal seed packet holds around 200 seeds and costs less than three pounds. This is the website address.

Meg
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

Hi,

That’s all overwhelmingly generous! Ironically, the most difficult thing about restoring some of the coastal grassland around parts of the Beach Park is not so much funding as it is getting permission. The Council is reluctant to do anything like this because, although there are many people who would like to see the return of wildflowers and the associated sights and sounds, there are also folk who like the ‘groomed’ and ‘manicured’ look the park currently has. Letting sections to revert to the way they were a few decades ago would be seen by these people as a step backwards.

I met with one of North Ayrshire’s rangers this week and we took a look at the current roadside strip left to grow wild this year. Next year the plan is to expand this area slightly eastwards over one of the mounds so that some new grassland will be sheltered from the wind, making feeding and breeding a bit easier. This will only be a small expansion though.

Scotia Seeds are a great company. We’re unusually lucky in that, even though the Beach Park looks like a monoculture of non-native grass, there are a lot of wildflowers actually still growing there - even on the football pitches themselves I’ve seen Wild Thyme growing. Simply leaving the appropriate parts of the site uncut would result in a substantial display of wildflowers within a few months.

I’d be keen to see the mounds left uncut and the football fields and other flat areas mown as usual. When I met with the ranger last week, I suggested talking with the Council, holding a public consultation to see what folk would like to see at the site, then making changes or leaving the site alone as locals see appropriate. In fact, I’ll send an email today to get the ball rolling.

Iain
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

iain wrote:Hi,

That’s all overwhelmingly generous! Ironically, the most difficult thing about restoring some of the coastal grassland around parts of the Beach Park is not so much funding as it is getting permission. The Council is reluctant to do anything like this because, although there are many people who would like to see the return of wildflowers and the associated sights and sounds, there are also folk who like the ‘groomed’ and ‘manicured’ look the park currently has. Letting sections to revert to the way they were a few decades ago would be seen by these people as a step backwards.

I met with one of North Ayrshire’s rangers this week and we took a look at the current roadside strip left to grow wild this year. Next year the plan is to expand this area slightly eastwards over one of the mounds so that some new grassland will be sheltered from the wind, making feeding and breeding a bit easier. This will only be a small expansion though.

Scotia Seeds are a great company. We’re unusually lucky in that, even though the Beach Park looks like a monoculture of non-native grass, there are a lot of wildflowers actually still growing there - even on the football pitches themselves I’ve seen Wild Thyme growing. Simply leaving the appropriate parts of the site uncut would result in a substantial display of wildflowers within a few months.

I’d be keen to see the mounds left uncut and the football fields and other flat areas mown as usual. When I met with the ranger last week, I suggested talking with the Council, holding a public consultation to see what folk would like to see at the site, then making changes or leaving the site alone as locals see appropriate. In fact, I’ll send an email today to get the ball rolling.

Iain
At what point are you hoping to extend the strip Ian? You will have trouble with off road bikes, cars, quads etc if it`s the area nearest the point. I was down there this morning and it`s in a right state because some brain dead moron has churned the whole area up with a car or 4x4 by the looks of things. I really wish the police would start clamping down on this sort of stuff down there as it`s a real pain. For some reason some halfwit also leaves empty bottles of cider along that strip as well. I`m sure it`s a guy that sits down there in his car but i`ve yet to catch him in the act as it were. There`s a whole posse of dogwalkers gunning for the culprit :D
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

Hi GEODGC,

I sent an email off to the appropriate folk in the Council and made the tentative suggestion that if the wild area were to be expanded, it should perhaps be expanded across the mounds at the site - the extensive flat areas being left for the various forms of sporting recreation that take place at the site. I wonder what effect an increase in wild areas would have on the people who zoom around the park in motorised vehicles. I’d hope that, particularly if the grass became tussocky, it might put people off: at the moment, the Beach Park, with it’s vast expanse of undulating, neatly trimmed lawns, probably looks like paradise to anyone who’s after a bit of off-road motoring fun!

Iain
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

iain wrote:Hi,That’s all overwhelmingly generous! Ironically, the most difficult thing about restoring some of the coastal grassland around parts of the Beach Park is not so much funding as it is getting permission. Iain
Iain, if I was to walk round the area nonchalantly depositing seeds down my trouser leg, a bit like Angus Lennie ( the mole) getting rid of soil from the tunnel in The Great Escape, who would know.
It wouldn't be the first time that red tape has been ignored.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

little plum wrote:
iain wrote:Hi,That’s all overwhelmingly generous! Ironically, the most difficult thing about restoring some of the coastal grassland around parts of the Beach Park is not so much funding as it is getting permission. Iain
Iain, if I was to walk round the area nonchalantly depositing seeds down my trouser leg, a bit like Angus Lennie ( the mole) getting rid of soil from the tunnel in The Great Escape, who would know.
It wouldn't be the first time that red tape has been ignored.

I don't think there's enough booze in the house to erase that mental image Neil! :lol:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis