Ardeer Quarry LNR Public Consultation

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardeer Quarry LNR Public Consultation

Post by Vivc113 »

It is shocking !!! They never think.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

Yeah, I heard about that. I think that’s 3 benches in as many years that have been burned down. It looks like it’s only a matter of time before the remaining benches get set alight too; however, it looks like the bench overlooking Gavin’s Wee Pond (the one on the overgrown mound) might be fireproof, judging from previous failed attempts to set it alight.

If/when the new wetland get’s created, hopefully we can arrange it so that some of the funding pays for a couple of new vandal-proof (i.e. metal) benches or single seats positioned to overlook the wetland.
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

I see that a replacement bench has been installed where the previous one was recently burned down. Nothing to do with us – this is the handiwork of NAC. I was surprised by the promptness of this replacement. Indeed, I was surprised that NAC decided to replace it at all. I can only applaud NAC’s conscientiousness on this occasion.

Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Great news Iain, hope this one doesnt succumb to the local arsonists!!

Meg
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

It looks like the next year is going to be a busy and productive one on the reserve. There’s a chance that most if not all of the projects we’ve been doing the ‘groundwork’ (i.e. endless meetings, emails, surveys and reports) for will come to fruition, judging from discussions with the landowner (North Ayrshire Council) and RSPB. Hopefully towards late winter the first of the next wave of projects will be implemented, at which point I’ll post an update.

There are some small news items worth mentioning at the moment. I hear that there’s been an increase in the number of landowners on the Ardeer Peninsula who are culling deer. A three figure number were apparently shot within a few months. Because there’s a significant exchange of deer between Ardeer Quarry Local Nature Reserve and the Ardeer Peninsula, there are far fewer Roe Deer around the reserve than there used to be.

The oldest of the reserve’s benches has finally been burned to the ground, after several attempts over the years. This bench sat on top of the mound that looked over Gavin’s Wee Pond. This bench had always attracted anti-social behaviour - on balance, its loss is probably a good thing.

A Tawny Owl nest box has been erected on the reserve. I have no idea how it got there! It’s a great idea though. Erecting owl boxes had been on our list of things to do on the reserve, but it wasn’t one of our imminent projects. I’ll keep an eye on the box to check whether it gets used. Tawny Owl is currently an unfortunate omission from the reserve’s breeding bird list.

Something there is that doesn’t love a bench

Tawny Owl box
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

Iain sorry to report but another bench has gone. The first one on the long stretch from Moorpark East parallel to the railway line. Could be the same person or people, kind of daft in that they sit on them to drink. Maybe better not to replace them.
len
Settling In
Settling In

Post by len »

Why do they do these things? I don't understand. Why destroy their environment? Nihilists?

We weren't perfect, but I don't remember such wanton destruction. Maybe 'my life is s--it, so I'll make all around me s--it as well '. I haven't been in Stevenston for almost 30 years. Then I was appalled at the decline in the proud wee burgh where I was brought up. I would be even more reluctant to go back now. What a terrible shame.
ebbe_skovdahl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ebbe_skovdahl »

That owl box is the one I mentioned to you on here a few months back but I don't think you were aware of it.

If it's the same one as i've seen it's about 20-30 yards south of Gav's wee pond.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

My BIL Peter McGurk, showed me a few bird boxed he'd erected near Gavin's wee pond last Summer, but don't think there was anything big enough for owls - I could be wrong. He's a regular around there and takes Gavin's dog with him.
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

Ebbe_skovdahl, looking back on the wildlife photo thread, I see where you mentioned a big nest box a while ago. Judging from your description of the location, this is indeed the one I saw a week or two ago. I’ll need to take a walk through the whole site soon to check if any others have been erected.

Hughie, I bumped into Peter a few days ago, but it never struck me to ask him about the box. I’ll do so the next time I see him. As you probably know, as well as erecting and maintaining nest boxes at the site, Peter, on his daily visits, puts out bits of bird food on the fence posts as he walks around the reserve. Consequently, any time I’m at the site and stop to have a look at something, the birds assume I’m Peter stopping to put out food and I get accosted by a hungry Robin or two!
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

It’s been ages since I’ve posted an update. Various things have been happening around Ardeer Quarry Local Nature Reserve since my last post in this thread. I post details of some of the most noteworthy things below.

A mini-collaboration between RSPB, the Ranger Service and ourselves resulted in a boardwalk over one of the ditches on the reserve. One more ditch crossing is needed before this part of the reserve will be easily accessible. Hopefully funding for this will be secured within the next year or two.

The new, large wetland should be created on the reserve next autumn. Below I cut and paste a technical drawing of the wetland into an aerial photo to give a rough idea of the extent and location of the new wetland. The RSPB have secured money to part-fund the wetland; we'll part-fund the rest.

A large ‘bee bank’ was created recently on the reserve. This sandy structure will attract more sand-nesting solitary bees to the reserve, which will be something interesting to show people during guided walks around the reserve.

Also, I was very pleased to learn that Ian Cassidy has been short listed for the North Ayrshire Citizen of the Year Award. I know that Ian is familiar to several readers of the forum. He has devoted thousands of hours of his spare time over the past few years to tirelessly picking litter in Stevenston. As well as keeping the town’s nature reserves and other green spaces clean, Ian picks litter from the streets wherever he goes. Indeed, Ian and his team have picked almost 5000 sacks of litter over the past couple of years. His voluntary activities extend far beyond litter picking to many practical conservation tasks as well as (successful!) efforts to extend the Beach Local Nature Reserve boundary, create dozens of acres of coastal wildflower meadow, progress Blue Flag status for Stevenston Beach, etc. He’s an integral part of everything green that’s happening in Stevenston.

Voluntary litter-picking in particular is the definition of an unrewarding activity, so for this and many other reasons I hope that Ian’s selfless service to the community and the environment will be recognised and enough people will vote for him to win this reward. As well as being a concrete recognition of his work, the award would also help raise awareness of what Ian does, which in turn should help facilitate his continuing efforts to improve the environment.

Whether you’re a local or from far away, you can vote here (before Thursday 2nd March):
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/QKBNXCQ
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Voted!!
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".