Old Kilmarnock College building

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Super Mario
Settling In
Settling In

Old Kilmarnock College building

Post by Super Mario »

So I've gone by the old Kilmarnock College building in Saltcoats and notice that there seems to be work being carried out. Any idea what's going on there? Is it going to be new flats or a new business?
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Old Kilmarnock College building

Post by Vivc113 »

I was wondering this too last week.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

What and where was the Kilmarnock College?
JD.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

JD, It was located in Nineyard street at 'Moffat House' and provided further education' classes I believe.

I think Moffat House was the original location of the A.T. Mays travel agents company that was founded and owned by the Moffat family.

This photo should give you an idea of the exact location. I took it in May last year and used it as the background on my laptop screen for a while. Can't seem to find the original pic so this is the screenshot.

Pretty sure Moffat House is the building on the right with the 'For Sale' sign up. What used to be the old Mission Coast Home is on the left. Further down the hill on the right the darker coloured building seen is the Windy Ha' pub.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

michaelm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:05 am JD, It was located in Nineyard street at 'Moffat House' and provided further education' classes I believe.

I think Moffat House was the original location of the A.T. Mays travel agents company that was founded and owned by the Moffat family.
The building on the corner of Nineyards and Vernon street was A. T . May's when I left Salt coats. Prior to them being in there I understand if my memory serves me right, it was occupied by a bank (RBS I think).
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

https://goo.gl/maps/sx1oQ4vUTB52

https://goo.gl/maps/NLy5RJkrxkn

I remember this as being the AT Mays head office. No idea what it was before that.

it was latterly sold to Kilmarnock college, who sublet a few of the rooms - ~I know the Citizens Advice and Careers Service had a presence there, in the end of the building nearest the railway bridge..

It’s been closed up for at least 5 years.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Back in the dark days before the Internet A T Mays was where you had to go for Scotland tickets.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Super Mario
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Super Mario »

Well it looks like it's going to be Office Suites. There is an open day on the 30th November.