North Ayrshire Council

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
GordMac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

North Ayrshire Council

Post by GordMac »

I see North Ayrshire Council won best council in Britain award,it must have been sponsored by Morcombe and Wise and judged by Peter Kay and Billy Connolly,or am I missing something when I come back to visit family and friends.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: North Ayrshire Council

Post by stivis »

Dear goodness ,..the Herald will be awash with the Whack-a-Mole candidates elbowing their way to the Nikon,,, Oh deep crap
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

GordMac wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:54 pm I see North Ayrshire Council won best council in Britain award,it must have been sponsored by Morcombe and Wise and judged by Peter Kay and Billy Connolly,or am I missing something when I come back to visit family and friends.
Listen those people think they are a law unto themselves. Get on the wrong side of them and they will ignore you. Even one of our councillors told me don't try to deal with them come to me and I will try to sort things out. Local authorities seem to have a lot of powers and will not voluntarily disclose them to you. You could try the freedom of information act but good luck with that.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

what NAC used to do was, incorrectly post stuff on their web site making it near on impossible to find details of what they bought what they paid for it etc etc.
I tried to find out detail of various stuff over the years,mostly they were issues that were somewhat suspicious.
For goodness sake Stevenston voted for a resident of Largs, and .....you should google the other threetownscomment site if you can find it.
To be honest I know the guy who has it , and he's about to chuck it
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

A lot of people don't know that quite a sum of your council tax goes toward council pensions, and the councils don't want you to know this. Below is an article I found from 2015.

This year, the average counciltaxpayer is forking out £400 a year for council pensions. That's up 15% in a year in England and Wales - as the total council pensions bill jumped £1.1 billion.

The figures were published by the Department for Communities and Local Government, which showed the cost of the pensions themselves rose from £6.5 billion to £7.3 billion, while the cost of admin rose from £627 million to £878 million - a combined total of £1.1 billion.

The Daily Mail calculated that for someone in the average B and D council tax band this meant that council pensions accounted for a massive £418.38 from the annual tax bill of £1,468.

A time of cuts

This is an astonishing pensions bill even in isolation, but when you consider it in context it's outrageous. Council tax bills have been frozen, so every penny more we pay for council pensions is a penny taken off spending elsewhere.

Councils across the country are making dramatic and painful cuts to everything from family services to care for older people and rubbish collections. It's shocking to think that this is happening while the cost of administering and paying generous pensions for council staff goes through the roof.

Of course, while taxpayers are forced to pay their council tax bills and feather the nests of council workers, many of them are struggling with wages worth far less than they were at the onset of the financial crisis, and many cannot afford to contribute a penny to their own retirement.

Only fair?

The councils defend themselves, saying that they are doing everything they can to cut costs. The pension schemes are pooling their investments, which will reduce administration costs. They are in the process of increasing the retirement age - which will also cut the bill.

The Coalition government also did a deal with the unions in 2012 that linked council pensions to career average pay rather than final salary, which will eventually start bringing the costs down. However, the fact that this doesn't kick in for another ten years means that the cost of pensions will continue to soar in the interim.

Council workers might also argue that when they embarked on their career, they considered a generous pension as part of the package. They have already had to accept a cut to a career average pension, so to have any more of their benefits taken away from them unexpectedly would be devastating.

But what do you think? Are you convinced by these arguments, or do you feel ripped off by the fact that almost a third of your council tax is going on someone else's pension? Let us know in the comments.
Idiot - seeks village.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

This year, the average counciltaxpayer is forking out £400 a year for council pensions
The council sold land just off Long Drive to a developer, the original price mentioned was One Million, however the actual figure is alleged to be in excess of Three Million, the Land was public land so the money would be going into the "public coffer".........Eh No, it went into the Council Employee's Pension Fund

Again as I have frequently posted Can you get answers from the Council? ....Not a Chance
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Oh...
Peter Kay
I like Peter Kay