The old Kwiksave/Wonderloaf site in Stevenston.

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

The old Kwiksave/Wonderloaf site in Stevenston.

Post by GEODGC »

I'm hearing that NAC have this site earmarked for flats with the existing building being demolished. The site/building is currently up for sale.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The old Kwiksave/Wonderloaf site in Stevenston.

Post by Vivc113 »

I was wondering about the 'For Sale' sign. So.. Does this mean DEBRA will go ??

Such a pity because it is a good charity shop with actually quite decent furniture handed in to it.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

GEODGC wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:04 am I'm hearing that NAC have this site earmarked for flats with the existing building being demolished. The site/building is currently up for sale.
That's interesting GEO.
Like Vivc, I've also noticed the for sale sign on the building. I'd imagine that as the site is being advertised for sale that any residential development of it will most likely be privately owned and not council owned (unless NAC themselves are hopeful of purchasing it)

As a wee add on and slightly off topic here. Some time in May this year there was a planning application put forward to NAC in regard to the unused land that sit's just across the road from there in Fullarton Place - in between the Dentist's and the Stevenston Burn/Bus shelter. That was also intended to be a residential development of some sort but after a few consultations and some objections - most notably by SEPA (Scottish Environment Protection Agency) - that planning application was withdrawn.

It seems, among other good reasons for objection, that the land there could become liable to flooding from the Burn if the various trees growing there were removed to make way for houses/flats etc. And one particular objector also pointed out that the area in question should be preserved as a 'Green Space'.
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

michaelm wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:37 am
GEODGC wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:04 am I'm hearing that NAC have this site earmarked for flats with the existing building being demolished. The site/building is currently up for sale.
That's interesting GEO.
Like Vivc, I've also noticed the for sale sign on the building. I'd imagine that as the site is being advertised for sale that any residential development of it will most likely be privately owned and not council owned (unless NAC themselves are hopeful of purchasing it)

As a wee add on and slightly off topic here. Some time in May this year there was a planning application put forward to NAC in regard to the unused land that sit's just across the road from there in Fullarton Place - in between the Dentist's and the Stevenston Burn/Bus shelter. That was also intended to be a residential development of some sort but after a few consultations and some objections - most notably by SEPA (Scottish Environment Protection Agency) - that planning application was withdrawn.

It seems, among other good reasons for objection, that the land there could become liable to flooding from the Burn if the various trees growing there were removed to make way for houses/flats etc. And one particular objector also pointed out that the area in question should be preserved as a 'Green Space'.
As far as I'm led to believe, NAC are in the process of trying to buy the land. It's possible somebody else could outbid them I suppose but it's unlikely I'd say.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Aye, you might well be correct - although having said that quite a few of these types of developments do seem to end up being owned and operated privately as well.

Ultimately though, I suppose it's not going to be so much about who actually owns them, but rather what type of tenants will be attracted to live there.
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

michaelm wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:00 am Aye, you might well be correct - although having said that quite a few of these types of developments do seem to end up being owned and operated privately as well.

Ultimately though, I suppose it's not going to be so much about who actually owns them, but rather what type of tenants will be attracted to live there.
I'm not sure what the story is with the flats already there(next to Potters). Are these NAC or Cunningham Housing? I've seen some of the tenants in action from there though and it it wasn't pretty, hopefully we won't be seeing more of the same.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

They are NAC. Neighbour was offered a house there. Turned it down flat !! :lol:
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

michaelm wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:37 am
That's interesting GEO.

I find the objector point about keeping it as a 'green space' , hilarious. It's common knowledge the place is used by alkies & junkies alike. Why not tidy the place up & put some seating in that area for our community & esp our senior citizens. As for the 'green space' along stevenston shore front, it's being ' inhabited ' by gypsies.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

michaelm wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:00 am but rather what type of tenants will be attracted to live there.
Drunken bums. :lol:

As an additional point... yet more job losses locally, as DEBRA staff will have to start looking for new employment.
aland
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by aland »

only a couple of paid folk at debra, the rest are volunteers or community service or work experience. The site owner has been trying to get shot of the site since kwiksave closed and debra get it on a reduced non commercial rent.

fair chunk of land taking into account the carpark
call me alan or al, labels are for tins of beans or soup not people. We are all Jock Tamson's bairns
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Interesting. :o
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

aland wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:16 am Only a couple of paid folk at Debra, the rest are volunteers or community service or work experience.
Aye, apart from the manager etc, it's always been staffed by people who don't earn a single bean for working there. But I guess that's the case with most other charity outlet's.