Local Elections - An Opportunity to Stuff May

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Local Elections - An Opportunity to Stuff May

Post by Retsum »

I am surprised that more has not been made of the forth coming local elections as an opportunity to sweep the Tories out of local government and send a clear message to May that we will not be dictated to over a second independence referendum.

There is only one Tory in North Ayrshire and he is outwith the three towns. However there are two independents (usually closet Tories) - one representing Ardrossan & Arran and one representing Saltcoats & Stevenston.

Labour too oppose a referendum and are in a very confused situation. There are two Labour councellors representing Saltcoats & Stevenston and one representing Ardrossan & Arran.

It might go against the grain to replace these by SNP but I think it is important that we tell May to get stuffed. If the whole of Scotland could sweep the SNP into a dominant position in all councils, that would be great and people could return to old loyalties later.

I don't understand why Nicola has not yet made that appeal.

What do you think?
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Local Elections - An Opportunity to Stuff May

Post by GEODGC »

I think most people are sick fed up of Nicola Sturgeon and the SNPs one agenda politics to be honest. I think we will see a backlash with their votes dropping. I'm more than a bit peeved that the SNP have hijacked my remain vote in the Brexit referendum and taken it as a signal for a second referendum. The last thing Scotland needs right now is another referendum, there are still a lot of bitterness around from the last one.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Agreed. She's a woman obsessed with this independent Scotland idea.

It's getting beyond a joke.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

GEODGC wrote:I think most people are sick fed up of Nicola Sturgeon and the SNPs one agenda politics to be honest. I think we will see a backlash with their votes dropping. I'm more than a bit peeved that the SNP have hijacked my remain vote in the Brexit referendum and taken it as a signal for a second referendum. The last thing Scotland needs right now is another referendum, there are still a lot of bitterness around from the last one.
I Agree totally. I voted for independence and to stay in European Union but after a democratic vote these were not to be. I feel if it had not been brexit she would have found some other excuse to call a referendum on Independence. After this one how long till the next one? . As for Teresa May I'm afraid, and this goes against the grain for me, she is the best of a bad bunch.

Local elections I believe should be about who's doing a good job locally. SNP let us down badly locally when they took the huff and resigned on block, because I believe their preferred candidate did not get elected. So Nicola, you do not speak for me and if the Greens hadn't reneged on their manifesto promises you wouldn't be speaking for the Scottish parliament either.
Let's give democracy a chance and stop asking for referendum after referendum till we get the result that suits us.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Wrong timing .Country has enough on it's plate just now. Which of course is why she is stirring it . I voted for an independent Scotland , not for SNP.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

sweet caroline wrote: I voted for an independent Scotland , not for SNP.SC
But the SNP is the only party that can get us independence!
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by MANBEAR »

Retsum wrote:
sweet caroline wrote: I voted for an independent Scotland , not for SNP.SC
But the SNP is the only party that can get us independence!
Sorry Rersum the SNP can't get you independence only the people of Scotland can
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Come on guys less of the negative ways. Scotland is very rich in natural resources and will be a successful country when we get our independence. If the Scottish people keep voting SNP at every election I think we will become an independent country. A beacon of hope for humanity.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

MANBEAR wrote: Sorry Rersum the SNP can't get you independence only the people of Scotland can
Talk about nitpicking. :roll:
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

5siamese7 wrote:Come on guys less of the negative ways. Scotland is very rich in natural resources and will be a successful country when we get our independence. If the Scottish people keep voting SNP at every election I think we will become an independent country. A beacon of hope for humanity.
A beacon of hope!!! Laugh o the day.

Look at the state of the NHS n Social Care (and yes, I know it's worse in England) but there's cuts all over the place. Doctor's practices that can't get or retain staff.

Police Scotland is a reactive force. Rather than proactive.

All under Sturgeon's devolved powers.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Would the things you have mentioned be better under a labour government? I don't think so.
Those wimin were in the nip.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

C'mon you lot. Play the ball, not the (wo)man.
Are you really trying to convince me that all Scotland's troubles are a result of Ms. Sturgeon's policies?
Everything was well, and God was in his heaven until the SNP and Nicola turned up to throw a spanner in the works. Get real. These troubles are the result of years, generations even, of mismanagement and absolutely dreadful government.
We Scots have been complaining for ever about how we've been treated like second class citizens by the Westminster governments, especially Tory, but also Labour. And now you want to tell me that we want to change our minds and that we dearly want to keep on being governed by them.
Everywhere in Europe has similar problems. I know that here in NL we have exactly the same ones. Our equivalent of the NHS (which is mostly private and costs an arm and a leg every month) is exactly the same.
And I'm getting to the stage that I'm terrified at the thought of having to go into a care home, which is getting ever closer. :(
Staying in the UK is not going to make things better. Nobody can be certain whether we'll be better off on our own, but, if not, at least it will be our own fault. Past history would indicate that we're unlikely to be any better off under the current regime. (the word was carefully chosen, by the way).
If it aint broke don't fix it, is a maxim that has governed most of my decisions in life. This situation is well and truly f****d. Time for change.
In two years time, the UK will have to lie in the bed it is busy making right now. Here's a prophesy of what the headlines are going to be on the 29th March 2019 :-
'I TOLD YOU SO,' and ' YOU WERE WARNED,' and ' HELL MEND YOU.'
JD. (And I've only had two small glasses of wine with my dinner. I'm away to get p****d)