gypsies

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: gypsies

Post by 5siamese7 »

5siamese7 wrote:Its a way of life that does not fit into to-days society and can I say I don't know why anyone would want to defend them? Look at the status of young lassies in there society.
I meant their society
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

morag wrote:Seems to me, the gypsies we had in Stinston, took care of the place better than the residents did.
I can assure you that's certainly not the case now. Every time they appear in the town they leave an absolute mess, including human waste next to kids play areas.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Its a real shame about that, if they behaved better folk would be more indulgent to-wards them.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

5siamese7 wrote:Its a way of life that does not fit into to-days society and can I say I don't know why anyone would want to defend them? Look at the status of young lassies in there society.
I disagree - their way of life very much fits into today's society - and you are judging their young lassies by TV programs that are based on one VERY small part of their society (similar to The Scheme - based on a street in Onthank, Kilmarnock which CERTAINLY doesn't represent me or anyone I know ).The young girls I teach are mannerly, and beautiful, but aren't allowed to wear makeup, and dress modestly. They are very strictly supervised at ALL times - and they are 15 and 16. They are certainly a credit to their families.

I think the problem is you don't know any Travellers, so are making assumptions based on stereotypes.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Why do you assume my only knowledge of these folk is from television. I've plenty of experience of the behaviour of these folk from first hand.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Why do you assume my only knowledge of these folk is from television. I've plenty of experience of the behaviour of these folk from first hand.
Well firstly - you talk about the status of the young lassies in their society - their status in my experience, is protected and nurtured by their extended family. You say you can't understand anyone wanting to defend them - well I want to defend my travellers because I have come to know, like and very much respect these families that I have had the pleasure to work with over the last five years.

I would like to read of your experiences of the travelling community.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Hughie widnae print it but can I say God bless them and your experience, well I expect they put on a show for you. And please don't get angry I want us all to have a good life and respect each other but how you behave will influence how people treat you.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

5siamese7 wrote:Hughie widnae print it but can I say God bless them and your experience, well I expect they put on a show for you. And please don't get angry I want us all to have a good life and respect each other but how you behave will influence how people treat you.
It's hard to 'put on a show' when we have met every week over a five year period. When their site was severely flooded last Hogmanay and the families were left with only the wet clothes they stood up in, I saw the difference in the way the authorities dealt with the travellers and the other flood victims. I don't get angry, but I am disappointed in the way - even in today's enlightened times, that people judge others by their lifestyle.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I'm sorry they were flooded out but I bet they had no legal reason to be there. You really should give it up and they should give it up because they are unwelcome.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Italy is rife with these ' Travellers' or ROM as they are known here being so near to Romania and Yugoslavia. Since they opened the borders Its a continuous flow. Unfortunately the children, especially girls, are taught how to break in and steal from peoples houses. Even if they are arrested they are let go because they are all under age. They have set up camps everywhere, and don't pay any kind of rent to the council. Salvini won the referendum because his intention is to make them pay rent and get these children into school.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

5siamese7 wrote:I'm sorry they were flooded out but I bet they had no legal reason to be there. You really should give it up and they should give it up because they are unwelcome.
See Bill, this is the stereotypical response I have come to expect - Houdston Travellers Site is a fully legal camp just outside Girvan where 12 traveller families lived, paying rent and rates to South Ayrshire Council - so you would have lost your bet. As long as I am able I will work with young Travellers in Scotland, and will try to fight unfair prejudism.

Oh, North Ayrshire also have a legal Travellers site at Redburn.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Well that was bad planning siting them there if it was a place liable to flooding. Another three towner has stated things that happened in another country and can I say my sister in law was robbed by gypsy children in Spain. Its a way of life that most of us don't understand and frankly if everyone lived like them it would be total madness no drains ,no courts, no civilisation, the law of the jungle, I respect your concerns but their way of life is nuts.