Questions - Irvine Bay Regenration Company

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
JohnTodd56
New Poster
New Poster

Questions - Irvine Bay Regenration Company

Post by JohnTodd56 »

Hi Everybody,
I am completing my dissertation at Heriot Watt University for town planning. I am studying the work of the Irvine Bay Regeneration Company (IBRC). I am looking for feedback from residents of the Three Towns. My questions are as follows;

In what ways has the work done by the IBRC improved the local sense of community?

There have been a number of new jobs created recently in the area (Irvine mostly). Do you think existing residents in Irvine Bay (particularly residents from more deprived backgrounds) are able to access the new jobs?

Has recent physical investment in the Three Towns been beneficial for businesses & community?
(Public spaces, building refurbishment, quality of pavements, new seating etc)

If you have the time to answer, could you finish by stating your name and profession?
e.g Mr Smith (sales assistant) otherwise write anonymous if you would prefer.
You have the right to withdraw your answers from this study just let me know at john.todd56@yahoo.co.uk.
Information will only be viewed by staff at Heriot Watt University

Thanks for your time!
John Todd
JohnTodd56
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Questions - Irvine Bay Regenration Company

Post by JohnTodd56 »

Furthermore if you would like to help me with further questions please let me know -
john.todd56@yahoo.co.uk.
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

John,

I've sent you an email with answers to your questions. I'd be happy to help you with further questions.

I hope you get a good response from the forum - it sounds like interesting research.

Iain
JohnTodd56
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JohnTodd56 »

Thanks Iain, thats great. I've sent you an email. :)
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Irvine still remains a high unemployment, high crime area. Like many towns, the quality shops such as M + S fail to really move in. Instead the town is littered with charity shops and Primarks. People need to wake up to our fast failing systems. This bag a bargain attitude is killing us.

The magnum is set to close. It would be far better to build up this area and improve the beach. Instead a smaller pool is fast approaching. Too many people for a small pool.

Having visited the monstrosity that is the Lagoon in Paisley yesterday I should think this pool would be similar.

As to the 3 towns....vandalism everywhere. Create a new seat..it will be ablaze in no time.

I declare the 'regeneration' a disgrace.

Irvine Harbour is a HISTORIC area: the Ship Inn dates from centuries ago. How about a brand new museum ?

But then...who cares about legacy and the past if we can bag a bargain from a trash shop.

Vivienne Johnston
Admin Assist
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

I took a google walk through Kilwinning main street a couple of weeks back the decline from when it was upgraded with the IBRC is terrible. Don't thing there is decent shop left. IBRC at the time got their knuckles rapped for not creating enough permantent jobs. That was one of their remits .When Garnock Steel Works closed it was stated new roads were needed to tempt employers into the area, same as the Threetown areas. It never happened. North Ayrshire is one of the countries worst employment blackspots. If people don't have the money to spend ,then the area becomes downtrodden, people give up hope.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
aland
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by aland »

Irvine bay has been a spectacular failure when it comes to creating long term jobs in the 3 towns, yes they have rebuilt various buildings and aye they have done a good job but it was all short term construction work. I am not going to start on the farce of epic proportions that is the quayside building at ardrossan harbour.

It seems to have been almost every derelict building got purchased on the cheap, spent a lot of money rebuilding it without any planning for future tenants or uses. The north shore in ardrossan has been all about bullcrap and broken promises and 30 years since the shell moved out the land is still contaminated and derelict

overall marks out of 10 for the 3 towns... 3
call me alan or al, labels are for tins of beans or soup not people. We are all Jock Tamson's bairns
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

It's not an exclusively North Ayrshire problem, nor even Scottish.
Here's an article on the state of schools and economies in "fading" English seaside towns ... the new top priority for the Dept for Education.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34647827