State of The three towns

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: State of The three towns

Post by bonzo »

5siamese7 wrote:Meekan, it wasn't muck spreading the smell was coming from the pig slaughter house.
But just remember that smell turns into the smell of Ayrshire bacon.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

5siamese7 wrote:Meekan, it wasn't muck spreading the smell was coming from the pig slaughter house.
Where is the pig slaughter house? The one that deals with the cows was stinking last week when I was going swimming nearby. I am always tempted to go round and let all the coos out.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Back on topic ...
meekan wrote:I've just been catching up with this topic.
While there has been lots of truth written about lack of industry left in the three towns, and the lack of investment, which has led to a shortage of meaningful jobs in the area, 5siamese7' s observation is a big part of the cause of the decline in the three towns.
Good post Angus! To see the rest of it see here: http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 17#p141617
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Vivc113 wrote:
Where is the pig slaughter house? The one that deals with the cows was stinking last week when I was going swimming nearby. I am always tempted to go round and let all the coos out.
Princes Street jist next to the railway line but they have bought a place in Irvine that jist happens tae be me old place of work.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Bonzo are the giving up the site in Ardrossan? I use to like their bacon very much but when I stopped using salt their product became unpalatable to me.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

No I think they are going to work from both sites.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Those of you old enough will remember Robertsons slaughterhouse in Windmill Street Saltcoats , (I don't remember it being too smelly) before they moved to the old Western SMT garage in Princes Street. I think the building in Saltcoats was around where the Old indoor market was (Now the factory outlet shop). As I say I don't remember much smell from there but I do remember the squeels of the pigs being processed.
Would I be right in saying that the premises in Ardrossan process over a thousand pigs a week ? The bacon and ham is sold all over Scotland maybe even Britain. Now it looks as if they are moving or at least expanding to premises in Irvine.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Good to see the Barony St John's Church building being renovated with a view to increasing visitors to Ardrossan. This may encourage others in the town to tidy things up. More visitors means more money in tills of local business.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

meekan wrote:Those of you old enough will remember Robertsons slaughterhouse in Windmill Street Saltcoats , (I don't remember it being too smelly) before they moved to the old Western SMT garage in Princes Street. I think the building in Saltcoats was around where the Old indoor market was (Now the factory outlet shop). As I say I don't remember much smell from there but I do remember the squeels of the pigs being processed.
Would I be right in saying that the premises in Ardrossan process over a thousand pigs a week ? The bacon and ham is sold all over Scotland maybe even Britain. Now it looks as if they are moving or at least expanding to premises in Irvine.
My mum worked there in the office and my sis and I were frequent visitors. walking through the shed they hung the pigs, didn't bother me as a young yin..touched them and all...I'd be horrified noo!! worst...the truck showed up at the back and left a sheep's head lying there. Mum used to take us to the cafe next door for icecream for being 'good girls', when I got the ice cream and raspberry sauce...oh yes, you got it...sheeps head...I couldny eat it, btw, was that no called a McCallums? ;)
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

Yes the the three towns are definitely run down a bit, especially in the town centre's where its noticed most, and for me the blame lies (mostly) with our local councils, and we, the residents. Seems the rent and rates on our shops are farcical, but we as towns folk should be spending a bit more in our own backyard. God knows what our council tax goes on, the roads are a disgrace and have been for yrs. Council used to invest in all sorts, but they cut back in all things that are needed in this place. Any dealings I've had in the past with employees of nac are more interested in their , which seems like never ending, holidays, than actually getting off their backsides and doing something productive.
Go to stevenston cross or saltcoats town centre and you will see the junkies hanging around, esp near the chemists, off putting but used to it. Yes we have a big area with businesses around morrisons and now a new hotel with eateries around it next to the fire station. And also a lidl store which seems to be doing rather well , which is good for stevenston, but saltcoats town centre is a worry. Used to be heaving with shops and customers alike but now turning into a bit if a ghost town. Ardrossan town centre is the worst hit, just drive through it and don't stop! Although to be fair the towns people have a newish Asda and nice restaurant nearby plus always good to see the arran ferry still thriving.
All n all the threetowns isn't all doom and gloom (still rather stay here than the likes of Irvine and Kilmarnock) and what I've seen of late, there ain't much crime here either, although these wee local shops with their late opening hrs attracts a few undesirables. Was born here and will probably croak it here as well, but there is worse places