What's happened.

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Newt
Settling In
Settling In

What's happened.

Post by Newt »

I came down for a visit last weekend and had a walk through Saltcoats. I felt a bit depressed when I was there as there are more pubs and bookies there than I can ever remember. There are still a couple of little gems of shops, one I bought a lamp out of as it was very unusual, but the rest is made up of pound land shops and nothing much of anything else. We had a nice coffee at cavanis and that was my visit. It lasted all of an hour. The drive along south beach was lovely but then similar scenes in ardrossan. The councils need to get their act together. Get these wee towns back on the map and pour some money into it. Regardless......I will be back as my family live there and I still love ardrossan regardless of what it looks like, but new shops to get the punters back down there, is what's needed. Anyone else with any thoughts?
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: What's happened.

Post by morag »

Unfortunately, have to agree. Trash shops, people begging for cash.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Newt wrote:The councils need to get their act together. Get these wee towns back on the map and pour some money into it. Regardless......I will be back as my family live there and I still love ardrossan regardless of what it looks like, but new shops to get the punters back down there, is what's needed. Anyone else with any thoughts?
My own thoughts are that the local authority/council currently don't have the resources to "pour" money into anything these days.
If you feel strongly enough about it though, maybe you should consider coming back and opening a wee shop yourself. Or would that be too much of a social wrench?

It's not all doom and gloom down here.
Last edited by michaelm on Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

morag wrote:Unfortunately, have to agree. Trash shops, people begging for cash.
And that's coming from someone who lives in California :lol:
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

? Sorry Michael..not getting your point.
C.S.Lewis
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

It wasn't a slight on California. I was having a wee chuckle at the fact you're making these observations from half- way across the world.

Obviously Newt and yourself have ties from the 'past' to the threetowns area.
Newt mentioned poundland shops, bookies and pubs, and you yourself mentioned trash shops and people begging for cash. That's a lot of negative words for me, which I don't think do much to paint a true picture of the area. It's a bit like when Ardrossan was branded the most depressing place to live in Scotland in some obscure magazine article.
A load of bollocks I say.
Last edited by michaelm on Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Michael, my post was comparing Saltcoats last time I was over to how I remember it when I worked there. There were really fine shops at one time..Wilkie's Kyle Studio etc. Seems now or last time over, it was thrift shops and getting stopped every few yards with people pushing 'the big issue'. My wee sis who lives in Stevenston still told me that is a job. On the other hand Stevenston actually had hanging baskets of flowers down at the cross. That was a surprise. Missed the old buses though.
C.S.Lewis
sheenaj
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sheenaj »

I have to agree with Newt and Morag. I have returned a few times and most of the real shops that had character and people that knew their trade and goods have all gone replaced by junk shops such as Poundland etc. Most of these 'junk' shops all sell the same 'Chinese' made junkie stuff.What happened to 'Scotland proud"!! And don't blame it on The councils poor empty Wallet!! If they would form a coalition with the REAL business owners and start trying to win more unique store owners instead of sitting on their hands. Saltcoats used to be THE place to be and just like Ardrossan can turn itself around but they need good people with foresight at the head of the Helm. Our biggest asset is the Sea .It's what made Salt-Cots. but the Harbour is not utilized for it's potential.The beach lies forlorn. Our town's shops are cheap artificial markets.Where is the character.Host markets that emphasize products local made products-- Food,the Arts,Crafters, hands on learning booths to interest the young.We need people with dreams,foresight and the will to make Saltcoats great again,then the people will feel pride again. And before you fire back at me because I no longer live there I still have roots. Roots that go back to the mid 1800's,Family that dug up the iron for the great iron age, family that had foresight to join together and start a public service to move people about the Ayrshire coast,to get to their jobs.families and recreation.Who gave of their selves for the greater good,who fought to give freedom to be what you are. Them and a whole bunch of other families that moved to the threetowns because they believed in this little part of the world.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Sheenaj, I'm waiting on a 'hear hear' to your post from either Newt or Morag :lol:

Texas? ... Aye, that sounds like a great location to be having a rant about the threetowns these days.
Last edited by michaelm on Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Michael, these aren't rants,just missing what was. Yes we don't live there anymore, not physically anyway...so probably don't have the right by your standards, to have a say. I just liked it better 'old style'. I haven't been back in a while, mind you, maybe it's improved? There were a few upbeat improvements, a cafe I can't recall the name, but opened by a schoolmate. Good to see, and patronise, that!
C.S.Lewis
Newt
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Newt »

I want to say that although I was pointing out the facts of the shops in Saltcoats, and ardrossan, I still love the place to bits. I have looked into buying property down there often and maybe one day a shop will come on my retirement in a couple of years. I still hold an interest and wish I had the dosh to make it look better but alas I don't. I hope I didn't sound too negative I didn't mean to. I love the area it's where my heart will always be. I'm sorry if I offended any of you xx
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Maybe it's a bit unfair to criticize the shop's in the Threetowns i should think it's the same in many places in the UK now ! The fact of the matter is large out of town shopping centres have sprung up over the last few decades convenient for some but not for others.On the news this morning Tesco have reported a 6 billion £ loss and are downsizing to smaller shops as shopping habits have changed, could the high streets be making a comeback ...