The swimming pool

Other photos that don’t fit elsewhere can be shown in this album.
Forum rules
Show photographs here, which don't fit elsewhere. Use a storage agent such as http://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

The swimming pool

Post by Penny Tray »

http://www.s1saltcoats.com/files/photo/max-278760.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
ellenyoung31
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The swimming pool

Post by ellenyoung31 »

Thanks Penny thats how I think of the swimming pool,I know
it would do to day, but we all had a lovely time. even if I
can't swim yet. Ellen
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Yeah Ellen,I can just see myself up on that roof with my chittering bite of buttered digestive biscuits.I loved those days .
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

We used to go there with the school to learn how to use a canoe, i remember it as always being cold.
be nice to your children, they'll pick your care home
Collenan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Collenan »

Our sadistic gym teacher at the Stevenston, Aitkinhead was his name, used to take us there for swimming (or drowning) lessons. He had a long pole which he used to shove us in if we showed any reluctance to get! Happy days :?
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Collenan,

I never went to school in Stevenston but think I remember Mr. Aitkenhead. I'm sure he lived in Yarborough Place alias Montgomerie Street, Ardrossan.

I came across the following article a few weeks ago and quite honestly couldn't envisage how I might finish up posting it.

It's a stange wee World.

http://www.arranvoice.com/view_article.php?id=5705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I recall Mr Aitkenhead coming to Eglinton when our Gym teacher, Mr Miller was away at West Linton.
Collenan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Collenan »

Penny Tray wrote:Collenan,

I never went to school in Stevenston but think I remember Mr. Aitkenhead. I'm sure he lived in Yarborough Place alias Montgomerie Street, Ardrossan.

I came across the following article a few weeks ago and quite honestly couldn't envisage how I might finish up posting it.

It's a stange wee World.

http://www.arranvoice.com/view_article.php?id=5705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lifes twist and turns!

I think I would sum him up by saying he was the educational equivalent of my Dad! :lol:

Trevor
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Trevor,

No way. They broke the mould when they made your Dad. He was and remains a one off. Under the topic 'A Saunter Roon Stinston', I previously posted the following:

"There's a true story about one of his constables complaining (in the mid-60's mind you) that the role of the police was becoming too complex and demanding, and, having listened to enough, Sergeant James said, "William, I want you to deliver this Witness Citation to No. 152 Hayocks Road and when you've done this, I want you to come back and see me, there's something else for you to do." So William walked from the Police Office in New Street all the way to the top of Hayocks, then all the way back, before reporting as instructed, whereupon Frankie, as he was fondly known, said, "Thank you very much, now deliver this one to the house next door" - and when the constable protested that he had just walked to the top of the Hayocks, all the way back, and now had to repeat the trek, Frankie said, "William......................................I did not want to confuse you."
Last edited by Penny Tray on Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I trust this is the same Aitkenhead family:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... nhead.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Newt
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Newt »

Omg. I remember freezing my backside off whilst we used this outdoor pool. The slides were a bit broken and tatty and I remember sliding down a small one and it took half my thigh into it's gaping cracks leaving my little White leg scarred for life. It looked like a shark attack as the blood oozed into the icy salt water!!! Oh the memories haahaa //funny :lol:
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Ah, ye can laugh noo Newt..bet it wiznae so funny at the time! :blackeye: lol!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis