My Brother Bobby

Show the photographs you've taken in this album.
Forum rules
Here you can show the photographs you've taken. Use a storage agent such as https://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

My Brother Bobby

Post by Hughie »

This is a photo of my late brother, Robert Boyce McCallum. He was a member of the Ardrossan Masonic Lodge. Can anyone tell me what the letters L.H and W.P. stand for?

bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: My Brother Bobby

Post by bonzo »

Don't know if this is any help hughie?
http://freemasoninformation.com/masonic ... eviations/
Those wimin were in the nip.
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Hi Hughie,

The letters don't appear to be any part of the photograph, they look like they have been added afterwards. The initials W.P. I can only think would refer to Worthy Patron, which would normally refer to a particular charity or perhaps a ladies order where a male mason can be a Worthy Patron in that particular ladies lodge.

The bottom of the collar is not showing a jewel which would be the jewel of office and be able to give a better idea of standing in the Lodge. My uncle Neil was a member of the same lodge, but he has long passed otherwise I would be able to contact him. Maybe you can write to the lodge and they will give you some information about him and what rank he held.

Wee Boney
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks, Bonzo.I did have a look at that site earlier but found no reference that would match.

John, thanks for your knowledge and input. I'll contact the lodge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie,

I see some abbreviation sites suggest 'WP' is "worshipful," which I wouldn't have know had I not looked it up, but it fits in, I think, with masonic titles. I also think that 'LH' might be nothing more sophisticated than "left hand" which, when word searching it on google along with "freemasonry", does pop up. I'm guessing though and would be delighted to hear if you find out anything to the contrary.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks for your input, Penny. I've contacted the lodge to see if they can help. :)
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Hi Hughie,

Just had another look at the picture and I see Bobby is wearing several breast jewels on his lapel pocket. This would suggest that one of them may be a Past Masters Jewel which is the one closest to the heart. The others may be charity jewels or from different orders. I think you will find he held a fairly high rank.

Wee Boney
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks for that, John. I'll get back to you when I find out more. :)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Had a very nice reply from Colin Hannah from the lodge at Ardrossan. Colin past on some nice comments about my late brother, and in the last paragraph wrote:
With regard to your photograph, I am afraid I cannot help you at all. The photograph is not a Masonic photograph and as an explanation of the delay in responding to you, I have spoken to a couple of friends in the event that it was an Eastern Star photograph. I was thinking that maybe the WP stood for Worthy Patron, but that isn't the case either because Bobby wasn't a member of that organisation. I am not aware of any other quasi-Masonic orders Bobby might have been a member of, if any, so I can't provide you with any information. I will make some further enquiries on your behalf but it may be that they will all be blind alleys. Sorry I can't be of any further assistance at this time.

Best regards,
Colin Hannah.