Bridge to Nowhere

Show the photographs you've taken in this album.
Forum rules
Here you can show the photographs you've taken. Use a storage agent such as https://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Bridge to Nowhere

Post by Retsum »

At the weekend I went over to the old bridge across the Spey at Craigellachie. It was designed and built by Thomas Telford in 1814 and it said to be the oldest surviving cast iron bridge in Scotland. It had a makeover in recent years and looks good but it no longer goes anywhere. The trees are not yet fully turned. If we don't have high winds it might be worth another trip over for that.

Don't we still have iron bridges in the three towns? Two I remember were the one at South Beach along from the Scout hut and spanning the railway line to Castle Hill; the other was at the approach to Saltcoats from Ardrossan just after the registrar's. In fact the bus stop was known as the Iron Bridge, then there was the Memorial, the Studio (R.V. Brown) just on the crest where the road plunges down and along to the station where I think the bus stop was called Countess Street rather than the station. I'm sure others will remember.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Bridge to Nowhere

Post by morag »

I think there was one at Stevenston train station. Think most stations had them, don't remember though for sure, what they were made of.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

There was one on South Beach station itself, just along from the more famous Iron Bridge; it was taken away in 1971.

And there was one at Saltcoats town station, which you can see in this picture:

http://www.mikesbuspages.com/A!SER1.jpg

But I see that has now been replaced with a new bridge on the same spot; as was the Iron Bridge at Ardrossan Road.

One of the main reason for the disappearance of all these iron bridges, is electrification of the railway.

Susan
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

I'm sure there was an iron bridge over the line to Montgomery pier station just along from the Caley Station.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

You're correct Meekan. There was also a rare 'Double Bridge' (with three sets of steps?) over multiple lines at the end of Harbour Street, Ardrossan.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=railw ... hMGm_IM%3A

Other types of bridges included the one at the Princes Street level crossing; and the one extending from Park Road to Barrie Terrace.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.