Kerelaw

Show the photographs you've taken in this album.
Forum rules
Here you can show the photographs you've taken. Use a storage agent such as https://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Kerelaw

Post by 5siamese7 »

Those are bullocks and are docile. However crossing a field at night can be dangerous if a herd take to the stampede.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

michaelm wrote:
Vivc113 wrote:Those cattle always stare. I got them to approach me some time back. Very friendly up close. They belong to the McCutcheons. They give them cake of some kind each evening so that they don't suffer a mini stroke.

I was on the other side of the fence (!!)
Didnae know cattle liked cake.
To be on the safe side Viv I was also on the other side of the gate but you're right, they're quite a friendly breed of cattle.
It is cake containing something.. Cannot remember what. Farmer McCutcheon told me at the time.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Vivc113 wrote:
michaelm wrote:
Vivc113 wrote:Those cattle always stare. I got them to approach me some time back. Very friendly up close. They belong to the McCutcheons. They give them cake of some kind each evening so that they don't suffer a mini stroke.

Didnae know cattle liked cake.
To be on the safe side Viv I was also on the other side of the gate but you're right, they're quite a friendly breed of cattle.
It is cake containing something.. Cannot remember what. Farmer McCutcheon told me at the time.
Is it not salt licks?
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

That's not fair these cows get cake for their high blood pressure, all I get is a pill. Think I'm going to go to an udder doctor :lol:
Those wimin were in the nip.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Meg wrote:A gentle reminder that the vernacular is only used un McBlethers please ... (See forum rules if needed)

Thanks
With all due respect Meg, below is the only mention of 'Vernacular' that I can find in the 'Posting Rules and Guidelines'

"10a. In our threetowners' Lounge please don't post in the vernacular (Ye ken whit a mean)."

If I've misread it I apologise, but it only seems to prohibit posting in the vernacular in the Threetowners Lounge forum.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

5siamese7 wrote:Those are bullocks and are docile. However crossing a field at night can be dangerous if a herd take to the stampede.
Any herd, docile or not, may be dangerous if threatened or perceive danger.

Whilst in the country ages ago, I unexpected came upon a herd whilst on my bike. Mass panic ensued and one coo jumped the fence!!!!!

I think McCutcheon's coos were in MacGregor Avenue recently. Not the black ones.. Coos from the fields further up. Someone had been walking their dog in the field causing mass panic and the herd bolted. I believe some wound up in the church.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Viv, the animals have been castrated to keep them the under control. I can assure you the most frightening thing in the countryside is to be charged by an intact bull (sic).
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

5siamese7 wrote:Viv, the animals have been castrated to keep them the under control. I can assure you the most frightening thing in the countryside is to be charged by an intact bull (sic).
Aye, that's true up to a point Bill - although I'm told most Galloway Bulls are seldom troublesome either - as many of us will have memories of having to clamber pronto over a fence or gate as kids to escape the wrath of an angry Bull, but I think Vivc makes a good point about 'startling' a herd. Whether during the day or at night time there's a risk involved as they might not always 'run away' from you.
And it can just as easily be a herd of Cows that attack folk, so male hormones aren't always the culprit. :)
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

I don't trust any herd. I had a herd of horses after me yesterday. I had an apple with me and it was like 'mass charge'. These horses belonged to a horse dealer and were a bit more wild.

Later on, I sat somewhere else and they appeared on the horizon again, eyeing me up then charging.

An odd day yesterday.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Yes horses can be dangerous. The breed of cattle is important regarding behaviour. The Ayrshire bull was notorious for being crabbit. Friesians are generally good natured. Cows with calves need to be watched . Its best to be wary of all large farm animals.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

And some o they chickens are mental. Be carefull kids when your out in the country :lol:
Those wimin were in the nip.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Many a true word is spoken in jest. A lassie I know who was brought up in Wales told me of the trouble her mother had with their cockerel . It kept attacking her and no not with a baseball bat, but she got fed up and asked the butcher to kill it. This guy grabbed it and chopped its head off with a hatchet and do you know when he let it go it ran without a head and this to see was very traumatic for this wee girl and she never forgot it.