Kerelaw

Show the photographs you've taken in this album.
Forum rules
Here you can show the photographs you've taken. Use a storage agent such as https://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Kerelaw

Post by bonzo »

I have thought this before now but where does the name brakeplough come from?and why when I see g-g-grandfather I think of frosties :wink:
Those wimin were in the nip.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

In Stevenston, we also knew it as the Brekkelschuch.

JD.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Schuch is a German word meaning chuck. Still none the wiser. :think:
Those wimin were in the nip.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

"Breakplough" has surely got to historically derive from the experience of someone breaking a plough, perhaps on hostile terrain? Stevenstonians will know better than me whether or not the terrain is hostile.

Breakshugh on the other hand (or maybe things that sound like it) is a deadly sheep disease which is perhaps something else which once affected the area?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

My Mother was a Stinson Lassie and one of her expressions was " awa an tak a wee whust drive roon the Brucklehyuck" Meaning away with you ou dont know what your talking about.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I think it would be the spot where the ploughing stopped. Perhaps the men stopped there for refreshment. Anyway its a lovely spot and you use to be able to walk through there but now I think it is blocked off. Too vulnerable to vandalism and not very private.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Hi Deborah,
This must have been the time your g-g-grandfather worked there. The survey was from 1855 to 1857.
Irene

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digit ... lume-57/14#

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digit ... 5&layers=B
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

bonzo wrote:Schuch is a German word meaning chuck. Still none the wiser. :think:
Hi Bonzo, don't hold my feet to the fire about the spelling. I tried to make something phonetic from what I remember from years ago. I never ever saw the name written down, :(
I'm inclined to think PT has the right idea, and it has probably something to do with the quality of the ground.
JD.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Please view the memories of Stevenston facebook page. A drone's view over castle n country.

Had it on full screen earlier. Saw all the areas I like to walk to as well. The joy!!!

Fantastico.

Memories of Stevenston now n then public facebook page.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Vivc113 wrote:The heritage museum had a facebook comp where you had to identify the Brakeplough so they have the pix. The Heritage Museum in Saltcoats would perhaps be able to email a pic to you.
Yes Vivc, I checked that out and see it was your good self who was the first to correctly identify the photo.
Here's another link(to add to the one posted by PT.) with some Breakplough pics, the first one being the photo you correctly identified.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nayesterd ... 8K-7GAsjv/.
What I thought interesting is that in the second pic the Cottages appear to be a bit derelict looking, so maybe they were uninhabited for a period of time.

I took a walk up that way yesterday and got one or two pics which I'll post in the 'Breakplough, Stevenston' topic started by peterm1711 in 2009.
Here's the link for anyone who's interested. http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 132#p74357

Incidentally, there's only the one Cottage left now but it seems to be very well maintained. I took another short walk up there this morning and was fortunate enough to get a wee chat with the friendly owner, who was out sweeping up the autumn leaves on her pathway at the time.
She informed me that herself and her husband moved in there just shortly after getting married in 1954 and that some of her family also live nearby.
It wasn't until I was halfway back down the road that I realised I'd forgotten to ask her ... Do you know where the name Breakplough originated from?
She may or may not have known the answer, but I was still kicking myself for not even asking. :oops:
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Vivc113 wrote:Please view the memories of Stevenston facebook page. A drone's view over castle n country.

Had it on full screen earlier. Saw all the areas I like to walk to as well. The joy!!!

Fantastico.

Memories of Stevenston now n then public facebook page.
Some decent footage there, especially of Kerelaw Castle and the Three Sisters etc. Here's the utube link to it.
https://www.youtube.com/attribution_lin ... re%3Dshare

I haven't seen him for many a year - as he moved to the Dalry/Kilbirnie area when fairly young - but the David McIntosh who posted the above video footage on the facebook page you mention here Viv, was a very good friend of mine in my mid teen years. His nickname in those days was 'Mackie' and we both lived very close to Kerelaw as youngsters.
Understandably, after being away for so long, I think Mackies' memory might be playing wee tricks on him here - he's mixing up Campbell Avenue and Cambuskeith Road - as there's no Cambuslang Avenue anywhere in that area.
On the other side of the coin, I think he's jogged my own memory a bit as to when exactly that particular housing scheme next to Kerelaw was built. I was thinking very early 70's originally, but am more inclined to think it was actually very late 60's now.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Interesting!!
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".