Arran Folk Festival

Show the photographs you've taken in this album.
Forum rules
Here you can show the photographs you've taken. Use a storage agent such as https://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Arran Folk Festival

Post by michaelm »

Held between fri.3rd. and sun.5th June.
These first few pics are from the friday afternoon free 'open session' at the Douglas Hotel in Brodick. All the folk who performed on the day were excellent.

Keith, the MC for the afternoon's proceedings, giving it laldy.

The couple behind the guy who's playing here also performed a duet together.

Keith - who's an Arran resident - with Pete and Eric who were on their first visit to the island.
Last edited by michaelm on Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Arran Folk Festival

Post by morag »

Looks like a grand day! I love Arran homesick.. :cry:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

It was indeed a grand day morag.

Some more photo's, this time from the sunday afternoon session down at the Douglas.

Last edited by michaelm on Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Great photos, Michael. Presentation was excellent! Must remember this festival when we're back next time. :)
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Hughie, I believe it's been going for quite a few years now and they hold it on the first weekend in June (starting on the friday)
I don't have any info on future events at the moment, but like last year the main festival consisted of 3 free 'open' afternoon sessions at the Douglas Hotel on the fri/sat/sun. and 2 concerts at Brodick Hall on the Friday and Saturday nights - with an entry fee of £18 each night. I think there was also a Singing Masterclass on the Sat. afternoon for an hour and a half or so and also a Guitar Workshop on the Sunday.

I'm pretty sure you'll have noticed the guy on the moothie in two or three of the pics in my post above. :)
Last edited by michaelm on Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Yes, spotted the moothie player. What beautiful weather you had, Michael. I think now would be a good time to plan a hike up Goatfell. :)
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Hughie wrote:I think now would be a good time to plan a hike up Goatfell. :)
Aye that's true but just no' today. Have a look on the webcams topic (page 5 of mcblethers) right now and you'll see what I mean. Ye can hardly see down to the pier never mind Goatfell.
Yet it's been mostly sunny here in Stevenston.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Incidentally Hughie, I found out by sheer coincidence that one of the Scots folk bands -"Talisk"- who performed last friday night (3rd June) in Brodick Hall will make their Australian debut at the festival in Portarlington this coming weekend.
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/mus ... o7hvk.html

As Karen Dunbar might say .. "Frae Brodick Hall tae Australia? ...... Jeezo!!" :)
Last edited by michaelm on Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I'll try and catch up with them on the Friday night - that's the only time I'll be able to see them. Got family functions over the weekend down in Melbourne. Unfortunately our band missed the deadline for entering the festival this year. :( So no performing with our moothie band on the tall ship this national Celtic festival.

Netta, Bobby, and I think both Barbara and John will have a better chance to see them as they are volunteers this year and will have full access to all the venues.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Talisk are performing in Parks Hall on Friday night at 7.30pm, Hugh. Don't know if you will manage to sneak in.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Think I left that skill of 'skipping in' back in Ardrossan when I was a wee boy, Netta. :lol: Anyway it looks like we'll be heading for Melbourne before that scheduled event. For those who don't know, this is the Queen's birthday long weekend here in Oz - it's a bit of a waste when your retired. :(
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Arran’s a great wee folk festival. Didn’t make it across this time, but have been there a couple of times in recent years.

One year, it was weather just like we had last weekend, and the free session in the Douglas hotel was very busy. Not enough room on the patio, so it spilled out onto the lawn.

The next year, it was torrential rain, so the session stayed in the bar. Standing room only, and barely enough room for the fiddlers’ elbows, but a great afternoon.

Talisk are great. They were winners at the Danny Kyle Open Stage at Celtic Connections in 2015. You can hear their finalist performance from that day on http://listenagain.canstream.co.uk/celt ... php?id=321