Wildlife in Stevenston

Show the photographs you've taken in this album.
Forum rules
Here you can show the photographs you've taken. Use a storage agent such as https://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Wildlife in Stevenston

Post by 5siamese7 »

I know unlike some of us your not amused by farting I would just like to remind you that pigeons fart and its good that you cut a bit of slack.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Neonicotinoids a pesticide commonly uses by farmers could have decimated our songbird population. Well I don't know about that but take a walk up the country and there is hardly a songbird. I think Iain doesn't bother to go there because there is nothing to see. I cannot but think what a disaster.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

A collard dove is busy building a nest in my Japanese laurel. Usually this bush is favoured by my resident blackbird for his nest and he is going around looking a bit shell shocked. Collard doves are tough wee guys and I think if it comes to a fight the blackie will lose. Personally I prefer the blackbirds even though they help brambles to take over.
chef
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chef »

Like 5siamese I have noticed the lack of songbirds,However I have noticed the upsurge in the population of magpies,a coincidence? I think not.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

chef wrote:Like 5siamese I have noticed the lack of songbirds,However I have noticed the upsurge in the population of magpies,a coincidence? I think not.
What do you mean?? Why would magpies increase in number? *

* I have around 10 to feed shortly.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Chef, I think they are a major reason for the decline in songbirds. However they are defended by a certain organisation which loads of folk support financially that is obsessed with protecting birds of prey. Putting that to one side the use of pesticides and cutting back and destroying hedgerows have destroyed the environment songbirds need for food and nesting sites.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

To-day a pair of gold finches came into the garden and very welcome they are . They are very gregarious and normally go about in flocks, where are their friends are they another species in decline?
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Magpies were rare because they stayed in woodland and were controlled. Now they are everywhere and need cut back but under E.E.C. regulation they have protection.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

They also have me to look out for them !! :lol:

Bill - yesterday my new bird "Mental" brought me a twig and left it at my feet. Never in my life have I had this happen. :P :mrgreen:

Edit: researching a wee bit I have found stories of crows who left things for people who have fed them.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Viv if I were you try and make friends with a jackdaw or a Maggie you never know you might get a gold ring for a present. Fed the wildfowl at the White Wife to-day and those cygnets are very bossy running up to you for bread. I wonder if the cob is going to be able to push them off. There was a heron on the island I wonder what fish are in the pond. There will be eels and possibly pike.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

5siamese7 wrote:Viv if I were you try and make friends with a jackdaw or a Maggie you never know you might get a gold ring for a present. Fed the wildfowl at the White Wife to-day and those cygnets are very bossy running up to you for bread. I wonder if the cob is going to be able to push them off. There was a heron on the island I wonder what fish are in the pond. There will be eels and possibly pike.
Would not like these bigger birds running up for bread.

Cannot get close to the Maggies Bill. Will just have to cherish my twigs.
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

A Nut-tree Tussock moth last May. It was previously a fairly uncommon moth in Scotland, despite the fact that its caterpillars feed on common trees such as Birch. The cooler climate up here was probably to blame, because it’s always been common in England. However, because of climate change, it is increasingly common in Scotland. Indeed, many other species of ‘southern’ moth have started to colonise Scotland in recent years (not that I‘m advocating the benefits of climate change!).