Wildlife in Stevenston

Show the photographs you've taken in this album.
Forum rules
Here you can show the photographs you've taken. Use a storage agent such as https://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Wildlife in Stevenston

Post by 5siamese7 »

I meant to state that I walked past the "scaup" pond to-day and they were all at the pumping station end sheltering from the wind. They did not mind my approach and it was easy to count their numbers. To-day there were 34 there being 17 of each sex Mostly they were ignoring each other I do not think they are all mated. Strange that the number of ducks and drakes were the same.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Great. Thanks!!! Will try to break the food up into smaller pieces for it today.

I have named it 'Mental' as it does not appear to be quite all there.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Talking about mental the cob on the White Wife is trying to chase off his cygnets. He's taken on the biggest one which is bigger than himself. He is swimming after it but is unable to catch it as its too strong and a faster swimmer than he is. Must be all that white bread the public fed it. He will have to fly at it because he can't catch it and is tiring himself out.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

That's Darwinism at work.
JD.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I went past there to-day and the cygnets were on the bank with their parents. I guess he's having a break or has given up. They can kill another bird if they get it down on the ground and stand on its neck and peck the back of the head. The survival of the fittest.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I had a pleasant surprise to-day a male stonechat was sitting on the fence next to the Stevenston sandy hills. On his own, but you never know a female might turn up. Stonechats were once common in Stevenston and often would perch on the highest branch and so vociferous that they were easily spotted. Sadly they have declined in numbers. They do not do well in hard winters.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

My latest bird has turned into a stalker. Every time I open the door now, it is sitting outside. Have to watch not to fall over it.

Today it decided to stop eating to stare at me. It was very odd. :|
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Put some nuts down no-body will notice any difference.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

5siamese7 wrote:Talking about mental the cob on the White Wife is trying to chase off his cygnets. He's taken on the biggest one which is bigger than himself. He is swimming after it but is unable to catch it as its too strong and a faster swimmer than he is. Must be all that white bread the public fed it. He will have to fly at it because he can't catch it and is tiring himself out.
Now he is flying at him and the thing is his son is such a big guy he isn't going to leave without a fight. I fed the big fella some wholemeal bread and he was hissing at me the way his father would.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

5siamese7 wrote:Put some nuts down no-body will notice any difference.
?????

Edit: have understood now. Too early in the day earlier.

Today when I got up it was outside the window staring at the house.

My neighbour said it was sitting on her light yesterday, then fell off. Rather than using its wings, it let itself just crash to the ground. It was OK though.

If I knew how to make vids for YouTube I reckon it could be a sensation.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

What sex is this bird?
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

You know Bill.. I have no idea?!? :puter

Yesterday I was watching it fly. It cannot fly in a straight line. It comes along in a zig zag fashion. Lands. Then walks around in circles.

Yesterday I found it in the hall. I had left the door open.

The lack of acknowledgement of the rest of group is odd. It's like the rest of the birds are not even there. What struck me was 'Red' (my favourite) stood back to let it get some food. 'Red' never does this : a very confident bird, it normally marches up and grabs.

Looked up symptoms for sick pigeons last night:

1. Going round in circles.
2. Sitting away from the rest of the group.