Wildlife in Stevenston

Show the photographs you've taken in this album.
Forum rules
Here you can show the photographs you've taken. Use a storage agent such as https://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Wildlife in Stevenston

Post by Vivc113 »

?????
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Viv, what don't you understand?
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

The scaup are back to normal numbers on the scaup pond. Canada geese are still there grazing on the grass on the golf course and roosting on the pond. Curlews are also enjoying the poor drainage on the golf course enjoying worms , invertebrates and other taste snacks.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

5siamese7 wrote:Viv, what don't you understand?
The wifey thing.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Viv, the pond is called the White Wife.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

we used to refer to these ponds as the white wife, the black man and the yellow baby, not pc...we didn't do pc then.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Glad to report a pair of bullfinches were feeding on the almond tree yesterday. A cock and a hen. Iain it would be great if you had some almond trees planted in your orchard. Bullfinches, do they breed on the reserve? They are so lovely though hated by orchard growers.
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

5siamese7, diversifying into nuts has crossed my mind from time to time, although I always worried that Stevenston was too wet for Almonds. Does your neighbour get a good almond crop? I’m pretty sure Bullfinches breed on the reserve most years. When I see juveniles, it’s usually in the dense scrub that lines the embankment of the ICI road.

Below is a male Minotaur Beetle on the Ardeer Peninsula a couple of years ago. It is known in Scotland only from Ardeer/Irvine, plus there are a few old records from Arran. The males have large ‘horns’ which they use to fight other males. They are dung beetles and in Stevenston the feed mainly on Rabbit droppings, which they roll back to their nest burrows. The burrows, usually made in sandy areas covered in Rabbit droppings, are the main indicator that Minotaur Beetles are present at a site: the small ‘volcanoes’ of excavated sand with a thumb-sized hole in the middle are relatively easy to spot; the beetles themselves are far more elusive. The best time to spot the burrows is very early spring, when the beetles are a their most active.

5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Iain, its an ornamental almond tree and doesn't produce nuts but is a great attraction for bullfinches that love the sweet buds. I see it is now in flower and hence the bullfinches have not come back. I know the ides of the fruit orchard is to provide fruit but any trees that attract such wonderful birds is worth planting.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Iain. I have a new pigeon. Was wondering if you could explain its bizarre behaviour.

First of all I believe it cannot see very well. It attempts to peck from my hand, usually manages to get something then instead of just swallowing throws its head right back, and eats this way (!!!)

It has also been trying to get into the house and does not seem scared of me at all (!!)
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

5siamese7, we have been considering replacing the trees that the Council felled beside Ardeer Quarry pumping station with ornamental non-natives that would provide food for birds (e.g. late-fruiting Rowans with colourful foliage). We’d not considered Almond trees, but, following your suggestion, we’d put in some Almond trees too if the Council gave us permission. I’ll be meeting with the Council in March to discuss extensive tree planting at Ardeer Quarry. I’ll run this past them then.

Viv, from what you describe, I wonder if your pigeon was flicking the food in order to break small bits off to eat. It does sound like a generally odd pigeon though, maybe it was just being daft! I suppose you get daft pigeons as well as daft people!
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

iain wrote:5siamese7, we have been considering replacing the trees that the Council felled beside Ardeer Quarry pumping station with ornamental non-natives that would provide food for birds (e.g. late-fruiting Rowans with colourful foliage). We’d not considered Almond trees, but, following your suggestion, we’d put in some Almond trees too if the Council gave us permission. I’ll be meeting with the Council in March to discuss extensive tree planting at Ardeer Quarry. I’ll run this past them then.

Viv, from what you describe, I wonder if your pigeon was flicking the food in order to break small bits off to eat. It does sound like a generally odd pigeon though, maybe it was just being daft! I suppose you get daft pigeons as well as daft people!
Iain next time you pass the house you can see the tree hanging over my wall. It is in full blossom and very attractive. It is old and has been cut back over the years and a bit spindly. I can remember it when it was fuller and in its full glory a worthy asset to the park. Viv regarding your pigeon it seems to me it has something stuck in its throat. Many feral pigeons suffer from canker and if so it will have a growth in its throat. Pigeons are very adept at picking food up without throwing their head back and I believe they are the only family of birds who drink water by sucking it up.