Wildlife in Stevenston

Show the photographs you've taken in this album.
Forum rules
Here you can show the photographs you've taken. Use a storage agent such as https://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Wildlife in Stevenston

Post by michaelm »

5siamese7 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:29 pm With our changing climate all sorts of beasties no longer exhibit previous behaviour. Mind you some are still consistent.
Nail on head there 5siamese7 - and without any unnecessary gobbledegook.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Iain, hi.
My, you're a cagey bunch. But I take your point.
Your thoughts about the bathroom window strikes a chord.
Pity it doesn't seem to work for mosquitoes.
Thanks again. JD.
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

Dryomysa anilis, a relatively common, but striking, orange fly beside Ardeer Quarry Local Nature Reserve. It uses its protruding mouthparts, which aren’t well captured in this image, to feed on dead things, animal waste, etc. Like many flies, it prefers lush, damp environments. One of the reasons that flies are doing so badly in the south of England is the increasing frequency of drought events, which turns suitable fly habitat bone dry. Survey data suggest that flies are doing relatively well in Scotland, in part because drought is not so much of a problem up here.

5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I would think that type of fly has the advantage of being highly coloured it sends out the message I don't taste very nice. Who likes flies? No-body. Obviously all living creatures require water and those fellows are well served in this part of the country. The common housefly must be in severe decline because at one time they were a big problem in people's homes. You hardly see them now and who misses them?
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I don't mind flies. They serve as pollinators, food for spiders (like them too)...just part of nature :)
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Hate them especially blue bottles.
Those wimin were in the nip.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Totally agree and kill them at every opportunity . Locally known as blue arsed flies.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Live and let live, everything has a purpose in life, we humans do more harm than the bugs. Polluting the air and water, plastics not properly disposed of...I could go on and on. :roll:
C.S.Lewis
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Morag please remember that bluebottles are looking for decomposing creatures in which to lay their eggs. Its not healthy to have these blighters in the house.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

5siamese7 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:37 pm Morag please remember that bluebottles are looking for decomposing creatures in which to lay their eggs. Its not healthy to have these blighters in the house.
Well, thankfully, so far( :shock: ) there are no decomposing bodies in my house or garden, if there are beasties in the house I release them outside. Freakiest ever was a wee bird got in my bedroom, my daughter and I finally caught it, worried sick it would die of shock, managed to throw a towel over it and get it outside, nerveracking!
C.S.Lewis
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

5siamese7 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:37 pm Morag please remember that bluebottles are looking for decomposing creatures in which to lay their eggs. Its not healthy to have these blighters in the house.
Not just dead creatures.
As a boy I had a tortoise and we discovered that a bluebottle had laid its eggs under the shell of the living tortoise and the maggots were eating it alive. I got rid of them with a toothpick and smeared some antiseptic cream on the wound and it survived ok.
JD.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I think what was happening there was that its flesh was decomposing probably through an injury. Its well known that maggots are used to clean out infected wounds and the fact that you applied antiseptic would support this.