My Job Scotland Site

Computer questions and any issues you have with these forums.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

My Job Scotland Site

Post by Vivc113 »

Hi,

When trying to apply for a Council job via the myjobscotland Site, I am getting the following message:

"Your connection is not private. When google chrome tried to connect to myjobscotland, the website sent back unusual and incorrect details. This may happen when an attacker is pretending to be myjobscotland".

You cannot visit because the website uses hsts."

However, when I go from s1jobs.com to the vacancy, I can then access the Site with no issues !!

Any ideas??

I uninstalled my Virus checker for Android, but it made no difference. :?
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Re: My Job Scotland Site

Post by creamolafoam »

Vivc113 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:39 am Hi,

When trying to apply for a Council job via the myjobscotland Site

Any ideas
Never apply for any council jobs! You need to know someone in it, that's how it works with them. Nepatism comes to mind a lot. Your qualities & attributes will count for nothing when applying. Gave up many moons ago with this lot.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Vivc113 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:39 am Hi,

When trying to apply for a Council job via the myjobscotland Site, I am getting the following message:

"Your connection is not private. When google chrome tried to connect to myjobscotland, the website sent back unusual and incorrect details. This may happen when an attacker is pretending to be myjobscotland".

You cannot visit because the website uses hsts."

However, when I go from s1jobs.com to the vacancy, I can then access the Site with no issues !!

Any ideas??

I uninstalled my Virus checker for Android, but it made no difference. :?
Vivc, I access the internet solely from a laptop pc using Windows with Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge as the web Browsers, and sometimes get a similar "Your Connection is not Private" error message.
After a wee nosey online, my guess - and that's all it is - is that if Chrome encounters a specific type of problem when trying to I.D. a website, that's the usual kind of default message that it spit's out.
Your Android Virus checker is maybe just reporting this.

I don't think it necessarily means the security of your connection will be compromised if you visit the myjobscotland website. To me it's more of a 'We're not entirely sure what happened there so to be on the safe side here's a wee default warning'
Also, trying to access the website again later on can often sort things.

That said, I'm no expert and there may indeed be a problem - but I haven't noticed anything untoward happening on my laptop lately as a result of this.
If I were you I'd give it at least a day or two first to see if the issue resolves itself with that particular website.
Last edited by michaelm on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

//funny I have actually heard this from other locals too !!!
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Thanx Michael M. I contacted the site directly but they said they have never heard of this issue from anybody else. :hi:
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Never apply for any council jobs! You need to know someone in it, that's how it works with them. Nepatism comes to mind a lot. Your qualities & attributes will count for nothing when applying. Gave up many moons ago with this lot.
You're bang on
I contacted the site directly but they said they have never heard of this issue from anybody else.
Well they would say that

I had occasion about a year ago to try to go on to a site but was locked out save for one portal where I could get access.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Vivc113 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:31 am Thanx Michael M. I contacted the site directly but they said they have never heard of this issue from anybody else.
Viv, as stivis says, they would say that - mainly to protect their own reputation as a bona fide website.

I've had this error message appearing from time to time on my own pc so I decided to delve a wee bit deeper into things.
It's actually quite a common annoyance to many folk online, and the internet/youtube are both awash with articles and videos on how to 'fix' it. The solutions range from the incredibly simple .. 'Make sure the Date and Time on your PC or Android Phone is correct, to other more time consuming and complicated ways of solving the problem if that doesn't do the trick.
More often than not it's just a browser related I.D. error alert - but to be fair there's also the chance that it's a genuine warning of a 'fake' website which may be out to scam and rob anyone they can lure into their trap.

I'm assuming you've now re-enabled your antivirus security.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

After consulting the chrome help forum, they advised to install Chrome Beta. Have done so and now got the Site back.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Have got a new Virus checker now from the playstore. Replaced 'Lookout' with another checker.