Windows 10 - split from Ann Widdicombe

Computer questions and any issues you have with these forums.
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Windows 10 - split from Ann Widdicombe

Post by georgersweir »

Penny Tray wrote:George,

I know you're a busy man but can you explain in a couple of sentences why so many people are negative about WINDOWS 10?
I suspect there are two main reasons why many people are negative about Windows 10. Firstly, suspicion over the annoying pop-up free upgrade mechanism that was installed without user's permission on existing Windows systems. Secondly, a mistrust of the likely software quality, based upon previous bad experiences with earlier versions of Windows software. Neither of these is a solid basis for outright rejection of Windows 10, which might be the best ever Windows operating system, but, in my view, for reasons such as these, many potential adopters will just say 'no'.
I'm still saving up for a signature.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Windows 10 - split from Anne Widdecombe

Post by Penny Tray »

Thanks for that George. Being of an era, truthfully, where schoolchildren were provided with a slate-board and chalk upon arrival, I don't challenge my laptop to do anything other than fairly basic functions. This said, WINDOWS 10 hasn't caused me any problems and I just wondered why there seems to be a recurring criticism.

Incidentally, when I visited my former primary school fairly recently, young children had classroom iPADS with further access to desktop computers for more complex issues. Changed days indeed!
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Windows 10 - split from Anne Widdecombe

Post by Meg »

Penny Tray wrote:Thanks for that George. Being of an era, truthfully, where schoolchildren were provided with a slate-board and chalk upon arrival, I don't challenge my laptop to do anything other than fairly basic functions. This said, WINDOWS 10 hasn't caused me any problems and I just wondered why there seems to be a recurring criticism.

Incidentally, when I visited my former primary school fairly recently, young children had classroom iPADS with further access to desktop computers for more complex issues. Changed days indeed!
Most schools have iPads PT - or Interactive tables, interactive walls etc etc. Pencils let alone slates are fast becoming a thing of the past. Doesn't help them remember their times tables though :lol:
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Windows 10 - split from Anne Widdecombe

Post by georgersweir »

Penny Tray wrote:Thanks for that George. Being of an era, truthfully, where schoolchildren were provided with a slate-board and chalk upon arrival, I don't challenge my laptop to do anything other than fairly basic functions. [...]
As you might expect, we have modern data projectors and screens in most university teaching rooms. One particular room at Strathclyde that I used recently had such equipment as well as a white board. I noticed that there were no whiteboard pens in the room but helpfully a full box of coloured chalks were provided - despite the fact that the room has no blackboard.
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Windows 10 - split from Ann Widdicombe

Post by exile »

My antipathy towards Windows 10 is exactly the same as that of the Seattle woman who successfully sued Microsoft for $10,000 last week because the unsolicited upgrade trashed her laptop - just like mine, when I tried to cancel a similarly unsolicited upgrade as I was leaving the house.
I'm up and running again, but £279 poorer.
Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Bryden »

:puter
Some time ago now I took advantage of a free upgrade from Windows 8 to 10 on my laptop & so far no major problems. My main problem is being unable to find a Windows 8/10 compatible driver for my Canon MP760 multi-function printer/scanner etc. which I don't want to change as it has a much needed transparency adapter built into the scanner lid.
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by georgersweir »

A recent news story suggests that Microsoft is using subtle measures to 'encourage' users to upgrade to Windows 10. According to the BBC news web site:
Microsoft has faced criticism for changing the pop-up box encouraging Windows users to upgrade to Windows 10.
Clicking the cross in the top-right hand corner of the pop-up box now agrees to a scheduled upgrade rather than rejecting it.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Just finished installing the free windows 10 upgrade, it was an absolute nightmare, took me 4 hours ,hope it's worth it...

The free upgrade runs out 29/7.
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

i have also upgraded to windows10, but will probably revert back to my windows7, like most software to do with computers its (i think) all down to money, how much has been spent on operating systems since the very first windows, minute you bought the latest windows up they come with another windows, as for other software adobe is a classic example photoshop5 i can remember was the latest version, you bought it then out came photoshop6 ,came on so far from then but money was spent on all of them and a lot by people who just had to have the latest version of whatever it was, i have no doubt this windows 10 will be an old operating system within a year when a another windows comes out and some people will just have to have that ,more money for the coffers of those who have already bled us in the past.

James Barr (Brvhrtjimmy)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

brvhrtjimmy wrote:i have no doubt this windows 10 will be an old operating system within a year when a another windows comes out
Jimmy,
I was of the belief that Windows 10 would remain and be progressively updated free of charge, much like what happens with browsers like firefox.
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

yes it probably will remain Hughie and be upgraded free of charge, but then all the other windows have remained and been upgraded free of charge, that is until they announce they will be withdrawing support, for them,i might be wrong but I think windows xp is no longer supported to mention but one.

James Barr(Brvhrtjimmy)