St.Marys School

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
BobG
New Poster
New Poster

St.Marys School

Post by BobG »

I attach a document giving some personal memories of my time attending St.Marys.This is still a bit of a work in progress as (in my 65th year) another little memory springs to mind.I know this document should be in the schools section but there are some attachment issues there.Any constructive comments welcome.BobG
st marys primary.doc
(45.5 KiB) Downloaded 1093 times
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: St.Marys School

Post by Penny Tray »

Bob,

I thoroughly enjoyed that read and it brought back many memories of my own school. Personally, I was terrified of Mr. McCann and I never went to St. Mary's. He was a tad over-exciteable for me at the school football matches. I am correct that he always wore a soft hat and rode about on his bicycle? I think too he stayed in Jack's Road.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

I really enjoyed that too,Bob.I knew Angus,I worked with him in The Co-op gents for a while.
bluedog
Settling In
Settling In

Post by bluedog »

went to st marys an yes a remember jj mccann , baldy as we niknamed him , wat a tyrrant of a man we were scared stiff from him, soft hat , long coat bike clips at the bottom of his troosers lol , an remember he used to march us in like the army to r, i , with the record player balstin out music an him standin wavin his arms about , used the belt alot then , or you got a slap on the back o the head or backside off him , wouldnt get away with it noo days lol
bluedog
Settling In
Settling In

Post by bluedog »

bluedog wrote:went to st marys an yes a remember jj mccann , baldy as we niknamed him , wat a tyrrant of a man we were scared stiff from him, soft hat , long coat bike clips at the bottom of his troosers lol , an remember he used to march us in like the army to r, i , with the record player balstin out music an him standin wavin his arms about , used the belt alot then , or you got a slap on the back o the head or backside off him , wouldnt get away with it noo days lol
any fotos anywan on baldy mccann ! would love to see one , cheers //funny //funny
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Bluedog,

I only ever saw Mr. McCann when my school, Winton Primary, played St. Mary's Primary, at football, but every time I see a clip of the Scots actor Duncan MacCrae I'm reminded of him. I might be a million miles off-beam but that's my recollection of his facial characteristics.

I never saw him without his soft hat so whether he was baldy or not I can't say. Neither did I see him without a coat or accompanied by his bicycle.

Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
bluedog
Settling In
Settling In

Post by bluedog »

defo looks like him hahaaha couldny stop laughin , an yes he always had on double breasted suit , coat , hat ,n bike clips . on his ankles ,,,, brill
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

Pure Brilliant, still laughing...
margaret cassidy
New Poster
New Poster

Post by margaret cassidy »

My first memories was of school was how scared i was of mr mcann.and of the leather belt we got threatened with .and with good reason as it was really sore can u imagine the weaines nowadays going up to get it .they would just refuse we were far to frightened to refuse plus our parents wouldnt be to pleased iether
margaret cassidy
New Poster
New Poster

Post by margaret cassidy »

I loved ur story even thow i never started st marys till 1967 .i still related to a lot of whot u said i allways remebered the wooden desks and the ink wells could i get using that pen used more blotching paper witch made even more mess and that smell of the school i can remember in my head forever mr mcann i still think of every time i go by his house.i love my memories thank u again for sharing ur story
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

St.Mary's became a Snooker Venue for a few years. It was owned or operated by one of the guys from the Castelvecchi family who owned the Moorings in Largs. We went down one night for a game of snooker and found it closed-up and then it suffered a fire and thereafter lay derelict for a time. I don't know when it was demolished. We went on holiday to the Dominican Republic to catch up on my wife's Caribbean island-hopping sister and her man in their 60s yacht they told us of meeting a guy and his girlfriend from Largs in a marina somewhere in the Caribbean. He told them his family were in the Largs Restaurant trade and he had run a snooker club, perhaps St.Mary's ? (The name Paul seems to ring a bell )
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Paul Castelvecci was at school with me at St. Micks. Nice chap. I worked at one of their places in summer, teacher Jim McCutcheon worked as well, but as floor walker kind of thing, I just dealt up the fish and chips..
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis