GENTIAN VIOLET

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

GENTIAN VIOLET

Post by Penny Tray »

Who remembers, either you yourself or a classmate, being sent to school with gentian violet [a mixture of three dyes, methyl rosaniline, methyl violet, and crystal violet, which is antiseptic and bactericidal according to the dictionary] on a cold sore/hack, usually on the lip. Once on there was no way you could disguise it.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: GENTIAN VIOLET

Post by morag »

I remember always having a bottle of it in the house, as well as iodine and another thing, name escapes me, that turned your skin pink, which was left behind by a relative. I used to use that as fake lipstick when I was wee :roll:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Hi P.T. I remember some class mates with purple finger tips, I'm not sure if it was gentian violet, but it was to stop them biting their finger nails, I was told the taste was horrible. :roll:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Aileen Shaw
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Aileen Shaw »

Hi L.P
Did you bite your nails. no it was aloe when I worked the chemist at 14 (that was another job ) it was bite stuff and it was dear but see if you have false teeth you were ok cos you did'ny bite your nails

Aileen
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

During primary school days I seemed to be prone to 'fever blisters' 'cold sore' whatever you call them. My Mother always dabbed it on my chin or lips. I hated it with a passion, but it couldn't have been so bad as no one at school mentioned it.

Anne
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

That was what was referred to as 'bitter Alice' supposed to be good for stopping dogs for chewing on stuff you'd rather they didn't as well. 8)

I think we were all in the same boat, Anne, so probably you culd go to school with a mustard poultice attached to your chist and nobody would bat an eyelid :lol:
C.S.Lewis
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

morag wrote:so probably you culd go to school with a mustard poultice attached to your chist and nobody would bat an eyelid :lol:
I think they'd have to be two mustard poultices, Morag, so she wouldn't look lopsided. :roll: Naturally they'd take the place of the usual bra filled with tissues. Oh! The things I know :wink:
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

Oh! Morag, I nearly died laughing re: the poltice you are dead right. We were all in the same boat.

And Hugh re: the 2 poltices shame on you talking about us wee lassies like that LOL

Anne
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Morag,were you thinking on Calomine lotion,used for sunburn, bites etc. It turned your skin pink.Milda
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

Could it have been germoline Morag / Milda ? I remember that in a tin

Anne
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Yeah I remember germoline,Anne,but I think Morag would be more likely to use the Calomine lotion as pale lipstick.I don't fancy having germoline on as lipstick.You never know though.

Milda
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

No, it was something more exotic, it was brought over by my aunt visiting from Hong Kong. It looked clear but turned pink...next time I speak to my sis I'll try to remember to ask if she remembers the name...as you can tell remember is the key word here! :roll:

As to the tissue padding Hughie, a glamourous friend of my sis was all dolled up to go to a dance, lovely sleeveless dress done up to the nines, but she felt she needed a wee boost in the bosom department so she took a green silk scarf and with a wee bit poking and prodding and rearranging was quite pleased with herself. At the dance her boyfriend pulled a 'leaf' off her dress, yep, the end of the scarf..oot it all came! She was absolutely mortified! :lol:
C.S.Lewis