EGLINTON/WINTON XI - 1959 - PHOTO

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

EGLINTON/WINTON XI - 1959 - PHOTO

Post by Penny Tray »

Including Willie Bagnall who has been discussed in several postings lately.
Attachments
PT5.jpg
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: EGLINTON/WINTON XI - 1959 - PHOTO

Post by Penny Tray »

NAMES:

BACK ROW - LEFT TO RIGHT:

Mr. Joseph Dodds, Ronnie Martin, Jim Smith, Billy Cliffe, Billy Brown, Mr. Alex Morrison (Headmaster), Dennis Nelson, Willie Bagnall, Laurence Macintyre.

FRONT ROW - LEFT TO RIGHT:

Tommy Muir, Findlay Denver, Sandy Marshall, Ian Nelson, Jim Boyd, Ronnie Lynch.
Last edited by Penny Tray on Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Penny,

The teacher on the right was Mr Kirk who together with Mr Thompson (in my day ) where woodwork teachers. Mr Kirk's brother played as a defender for hearts in the latter part of the fifties. Are you the younger brother of Jim and Eddie - the Penny bit threw me for a while - but now a think it's dropped. :roll: the penny, that is. :wink:
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie,

Thanks for that. I don't know how I came to omit Mr. Kirk. I did know him, of course, and recognise the huge contribution he made to schools football, certainly in my day. I did not know however, about his brother playing for Hearts in the late 50's. If this is the case he is likely to have been the KIRK that played in a League Championship winning team 1957/58 (along with legendary Dave McKay) and, I think, for Scotland. Do you know his first name by any chance.

Also, someone told me recently that Mr. James Kirk, our woodwork teacher, was still alive and resident in Fairlie. Does anyone know if this is true?
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Sorry, Penny. Didn't know the first name. I saw Kirk play at Hampden Park for Hearts against Rangers in the mid to late fifties.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Penny Tray wrote:Hughie,

Also, someone told me recently that Mr. James Kirk, our woodwork teacher, was still alive and resident in Fairlie. Does anyone know if this is true?
Penny,
I'm just catching up with all these nooks and crannies in the forums. I believe Mr Kirk is still alive, I was with him at the end of the last season at Meadow park watching Winton rovers beating the Buffs in the final of the ardrossan and saltcoats herald cup?? When I was at School he played in goals for Kelburn Rovers an amateur team. When I was with him last year he was still doing his tennis coaching. He is an elder at Fairlie parish church.

Meekan
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Thanks for that Meekan. He must be a fair age now - and still coaching tennis! He did a lot too for schools football. Unfortunately, I was one of his woodwork failures. I struggled and struggled to make a milk bottle holder and when I FINALLY got it home it was the wrong size - EITHER THAT OR THE BOTTLES YOU WERE DELIVERING FOR MITCHELLS WERE TOO BIG! :wink: