Ardrossan Academy 1927-1928

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Ardrossan Academy 1927-1928

Post by Bob Bryden »

Hi All,

Hoping someone may be able to help identify someone in these photos - namely "Helen Kellie" who 23 years later as "Helen Bryden" became my mother. I realise it may be a bit of a long shot with most Threetowners not being around in 1927-28.

The 2 attached photos were originally one with the lady in white being in the middle. I split it in the middle, allowing a little overlap, then enlarged both to hopefully make the figures more identifiable. The problem is that we have no photos of Mum as a young girl. In the earliest we have Mum is in her 20's. her family had no camera as far as I know. Also, Mum was the eldest of 7 (3 girls & 4 boys) of whom only 2 of the "boys" (?) are still alive. One is my Uncle Davie Kellie in West Kilbride but there would be no point asking him as he's now in a Rest Home suffering from Alzheimers disease & is in very poor health. The other is my Uncle Jim in London, Ontario,Canada but we've heard nothing from him since Mum died in 2001. He's not in the best of health either & now lives with his youngest daughter, Evelyn who was supposed to be keeping in touch by email but that only lasted about a month after Mum died & have heard nothing since. Moreover, Uncle Jim would only have been about 2 or 3 years old when Mum's class photo was taken in 1928.

I got the photo from Ian Dalgleish who runs the Academy website after I submitted Mum's details for their Former Pupils section where she is the oldest former pupil listed the last time I checked.

Hope someone can help.

Bob Bryden

Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Ardrossan Academy 1927-28

Post by Bob Bryden »

Further to my post with those 2 photos I think Mum could be the girl 3rd. from the left in the second row from the back in the Pt.1 photo but I can't be sure. Dad thinks she's the most likely although he'd never seen a picture of Mum as a schoolgirl before. Effectively we're both guessing.

Bob
Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Ardrossan Academy 1927-28

Post by Bob Bryden »

Hugh,

Just had another thought - should this topic be kept in this forum or transferred to the "Schools We Attended" forum? Would you mind switching it over if you think it's more appropriate in the latter forum.

Thanks,
Bob
Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Arrossan Academy 1927-28

Post by Bob Bryden »

Just for comparison, here's a photo of Mum taken in 1945 when she was 32. She had her hair done up & the photo specially taken to send to Dad who at the end of the war was stationed in Italy with the British Army (Military Police). He also had one taken & sent home to Mum.

Bob