Nee Martha McSkimmings

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
tartentumshi
Settling In
Settling In

Nee Martha McSkimmings

Post by tartentumshi »

Anyone know the whereabouts? She and I were best pals until our early teens. Saltcoats public. A trip on the SS Dunera to Bergen, Oslo, Copenhagen and Hamburg.
Sausages are the boys!
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Nee Martha McSkimmings

Post by Catherine Belle »

tartentumshi wrote: A trip on the SS Dunera to Bergen, Oslo, Copenhagen and Hamburg.
I was on that cruise! :D It was 1962, I think. I was with a group from St. Peters, and my sister was also aboard with a group from St. Michaels!
It was memorable, eh?
You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the trip to share, with us would you?

Catherine :)
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
tartentumshi
Settling In
Settling In

SS Dunera

Post by tartentumshi »

:D I have one or two, but sadly not of anyone on board. Or of the ship itself. The crossing was horrendous with literally everyone sick. Can you remember the queue in the morning for the 'ship's biscuit'? since no-one could eat anything, and the wake-up each morning was a tune called 'red river rock' I think? One of my most vivid memories, was on Sunday morning, at Bergen, a service on board. The scenery was amazing, the water calm like glass, and the mountains all around. I'll try and find the photos. One is of Martha McSkimmings, who was my best pal at the time.
Sausages are the boys!
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Boy did you ever bring back memories! :D
I'd forgotten about the "sea-sickness" episode. I remember getting into my bunk that first night and going out like a light. I woke up in the morning to the sound of moaning and gagging all around me. I lay there with my eyes closed wondering what the heck was causing all the noise. It wasn't till I actually sat up that the first wave of nausea hit me. :o I don't remember the queue for "ship's biscuits" coz I never set foot out of the cabin that whole day. I do remember one of the teachers/chaperones sticking his head in from time to time and pleading with all us cabin-bound weakies to please try and get up and come out on deck into the fresh air or we'd never get our "sea legs". I might have attemted to follow his advice if it hadn't been for the fact that he was grasping onto a sick-bag for dear life and rolffing into it between sentences. :lol:

I hope that you and your friend Martha hook up again soon. This Site has been known to cause stuff like that that to happen quite often. Good luck! :wink:
Lindylou
Settling In
Settling In

Nee-Martha McSkimming

Post by Lindylou »

Hi,

I went to school and was friends with Martha's sister Elizabeth for years, I know Martha moved away from Saltcoats to another small town, forget the name.

I have not seen Liz in years, though I am sure she still lives in Saltcoats, I am going to Saltcoats, August 4th and if I have time may try and find out from Liz where Martha is.

Will let you know!

Linda
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

What did I tell you! This place is magic! :lol:

Welcome, Lindylou! Don't be a stranger, eh. :D
tartentumshi
Settling In
Settling In

Your kind replies re Martha McSkimmings

Post by tartentumshi »

Sorry I haven't replied before now, but I've been away.

I'm having a wee bit bother with the boards, and couldn't figure out how to reply individually to the poster who went to school with Martha's sister, and to the fellow passenger on the 'Dunera'. So....I'm doing my reply this way. Better late than never....eh?

Another thing about the cruise....a trip on the fenicula (if that's how you spell it) railway. The obelisk (if that's how you spell that). Tivoli gardens (a kind of funfare), the 'little mermaid', (I do have a photo of that....with some students who wore funny caps with tassles). And I remember a lot of stuff got nicked from a shop at one of the places we visited. I remember our teacher coming into our cabin saying she had something very grave to tell us.......while one of two were walking backwards to a porthole and chucking something overboard!. Not one of our school chums I may add.
Sausages are the boys!
Lindylou
Settling In
Settling In

Martha McSkimming

Post by Lindylou »

Hi tartentumshi!

I am the one that went to school with Martha's sister, Elizabeth and I were pals for years and we went to school together, lost touch with Liz after I left Scotland in 86.

Linda
tartentumshi
Settling In
Settling In

Old friend Martha McSkimmings

Post by tartentumshi »

Thanks Lindylou. To tell the truth, I had forgotten if she had any brothers and sisters. (The old grey cells again). And I expect if you are in Canada, you wont have any recent info. But, thanks again. :?
Sausages are the boys!
imajrk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Nee Martha McSkimmings

Post by imajrk »

Hi there,
Was talking to another "old" friend of Martha's last week. She did tell me where Martha was living now and I think it's the borders somewhere. If you'd like, I could ask her friend to ask Martha if it's OK if you contact her. But I'd need your name, not just the nickname.
I worked with Martha in ICI for a couple of years. We were in the Punch Room in Nobel House. I married one of her ex's!! She was a nice girl. I too, haven't seen her for years as I too live in Canada.