Hugo Harper / Tom Brookes / Robert Slessor

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Hugo Harper / Tom Brookes / Robert Slessor

Post by Bob Bryden »

Does anyone know either Hugo Harper or Tom Brookes :?: They were classmates of mine at the time I left Eglinton School in 1963 for New Zealand. We agreed to write to one another but never got around to it.

I sat beside Hugo in my last class before departing for down under. I've seen a Hugo Harper mentioned in the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald some years ago in connection with Winton Rovers.

When I was back in Ardrossan on a visit in 1974 I visited Tome Brookes & his wife. At the time they were living in a flat in either Seton St. or Winton St. - can't recall which.

Another former classmate I've been in touch with was Robert Slessor. I had an email from Robert several years ago (from Australia I seem to recall) checking if I was his former classmate from Eglinton School. I replied & have heard nothing since.

Bob Bryden
Last edited by Bob Bryden on Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rowanside
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Rowanside »

Hi Bob,Hugo still lives in the town,married one of the Dalziel sisters.He was involved with the Rovers a number of years ago.His Mum was Betty (Beaumont )Harper,drove the milk float.I was one of the milk boys,from "Ross,s Dairy,about 45 yrs ago.Think Robert Slessor is still in OZ,he was home for a visit a number of years ago,met him in the "Yap Shop".I was in the year above him at Eglington.

Regards Alan Davis
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

You've just put a light on in the back of my mind, :roll: I knew Betty Harper when they lived at the bottom of McDowall Avenue in Ardrossan, in fact Margaret Harper was in my class at Eglinton.

I wonder who was the Harper I met in Melbourne back in the 1970s. My father-in-law was out from Stevenston and he and I were having a quiet pint in the then City Courts Hotel, next to the big ambulance and police depot in Russell Street.

We got talking to this guy who said he was a Harper from Ardrossan. It was 1970 give or take a year. Anyway, he was an ambulance driver and he did mention he was into judo or the likes and had been on TV before leaving home. It was a long time ago - could it have been Hugo? :?
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Know that Hugo married Linda Dalziel - her younger sister Hazel was in my class at school.

Meg
Rowanside
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Hugo Harper / Tom Brookes / Robert Slessor

Post by Rowanside »

Hugh,cant ever remember Hugo as an ambulance driver ??.Meg,Hazel is married to a friend of mine from Saltcoats,Jamie Davidson.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi Rowanside , Hazel lives opposite from me ,she is now single, its Hazel's sister thats married to Jamie, think her name is Ireene Regards Sam.
Linda Thomson
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Linda Thomson »

I worked with Robert Slessor's wife Christine at Saltcoats Town Council from 1968 to 1975 when the council changed to Cunninghame District Council. I communicated with her a few years ago, but haven't heard anything for a long time. Is there anyone else out there, who knows me maybe.

Linda Thomson (Forbes) formerly of Adams Avenue, Saltcoats
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

wellparkno9 wrote:Hi Rowanside , Hazel lives opposite from me ,she is now single, its Hazel's sister thats married to Jamie, think her name is Ireene Regards Sam.
Hi Sam

Last I saw Hazel she had just returned from managing a pub in Spain - Irene was the wee sister, it was Linda that married Hugo.

Meg
nan
Settling In
Settling In

Post by nan »

Hi Linda
I know your name but can't remember where from,I lived in knox Place and went to saltcoats public old and new,I started in Miss Donaldsons class in 1957/58 when I was 4.Recently made contact with Vivian key from Anderson drive,and have met up with sheila Laughlan on return visits to Saltcoats.My name was Nan johnston.Ring any bells?