Hayocks Primary

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
Bel
Settling In
Settling In

Hayocks Primary

Post by Bel »

Is there anyone out there who remembers moving from the old higher grade primary to the brand new hayocks primary? i moved into primary 2 and as i remember everything seemed ultra modern at the time. some of my classmates were Aileen McMillan, Moira Aird, Norma elliot, the mcgee twins, tom minto, and loads of others. classes were big then. i would welcome news from any former classmates.

if any of you see this does anyone have a group photo?
Bel
Never, ever give up!!!
Bel
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Bel »

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone out there actually attended Hayocks! It doesn't seem to be represented by threetowners membership. Is there a reason for this?
Never, ever give up!!!
Academic
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Academic »

Hello Bel,

I attended Hayocks primary although later than yourself (1975).

I find it strange that it has very little on here and on the pictures page.(there doesn`t seem to be any after the early 70`s and very few from before)

I found some group photos from my time there and the class size was 26 but I`m sure there are a few absentees as I remember a few more not in the picture.

Perhaps people are reluctant to share pics of those dodgy 60`s and 70`s styles...(quite like them myself).

Out of interest do you know what year Hayocks was built and opened..?
joromomi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by joromomi »

Hello Academic, my daughter attended Hayocks primary 1975 as well.
Maybe you know her.
Joyce. :) :)
Mac
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Hayocks Primary

Post by Mac »

Bel wrote:Is there anyone out there who remembers moving from the old higher grade primary to the brand new hayocks primary? i moved into primary 2 and as i remember everything seemed ultra modern at the time. some of my classmates were Aileen McMillan, Moira Aird, Norma elliot, the mcgee twins, tom minto, and loads of others. classes were big then. i would welcome news from any former classmates.

if any of you see this does anyone have a group photo?
Bel
Can't answer those questions Bel but try these links they may help you:

Go here then click on photos There are 3 class photos from Hayocks here.

Site for searching for class mates This should take you straight to Hayocks Primary search
Bel
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Bel »

Academic wrote:Hello Bel,

Out of interest do you know what year Hayocks was built and opened..?
hi academic
Not sure about the year but think it would be around '63 or '64. I remember it was so modern in comparison with the old higher grade where i spent my first year of primary school.
Never, ever give up!!!
Gracie229
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Gracie229 »

Hello:

I see these posts were sent in a while ago, and I'm just doing some catch-up, but I remember attending the old school down on New Street, then moving to the new Hayocks school when it opened. Actually, to this day, whenever I smell fresh tar put on a new road it reminds me of Hayocks. The excitement of attending this new 'modern' school stuck with me THAT much) They had not fully finished the school when we 'moved in'. I remember three teachers: Mrs. Gaw, Mrs. Miller and Ms. McGranthin. fellow students: Carol & Jean Sharpe (cousins) Marion Copeland, Shirley Holburn, Andrew & Joseph Kilpatrick (brothers), Donald Kelso, George Cobb and others whose name temporarily escapes me. Mr. Gaw used to drop off his wife in a cool white Jaguary sports car that I used to watch go by every morning. It is amazing the funny things you remember. I remember the lunch cafeteria where you got great hot meals for lunch. I can still vividly recall the geography of the school. I too am amazed at the shortage of class photos of the Hayocks years. I'm sure there would be plenty of names and faces I would remember.

Grace Mann
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Catherine Belle »

Hi Grace :D
That was an excellent first post.
You menioned a Marion Copeland. I remember the Copeland family from Stevenston. Madge Copeland (the matriarch of the family) was one of my grannie's dearest friends. She lived beside Baraclough's shop on Hayocks Road.
Hope you'll post again.

Catherine
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
jimmyg
Settling In
Settling In

Post by jimmyg »

i went hayocks seems like forever now 1966-1973 :shock:
elvis1913
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by elvis1913 »

Hi jimmyg and a big welcome to Threetowners I see your an Elvis fan and you like photography, well me too on both. cheers Image

Josephine.
boots1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boots1 »

Hayocks Primary School Opened in August 1965
boots1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boots1 »

Who Remembers there teachers from hayocks primary in the late 60s and 70s if they were there dursing that time.

Who was the Head Teacher or the Assistant or Deputy Head

What About Class Teachers