Dykesmains award winners 1971-74

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Dykesmains award winners 1971-74

Post by down south »

The Fleck awards were a dux prize awarded in honour of Alexander Fleck, later Lord Fleck of Saltcoats, one-time chairman of ICI and former pupil of Saltcoats Public School; he may have originally donated them or possibly they were instituted in his memory.

They were initially given to pupils of Saltcoats Junior Secondary School, the successor school to Saltcoats Public; but when that school closed in 1970 they were inherited by Dykesmains primary school. It's the first few years of recipients there who are pictured in this topic.

We begin with the 1971 awards, where the pupils are seen with Saltcoats Provost Mrs Lambie, who was undoubtedly presenting the prizes. Apologies for the poor quality of this picture.

Fleck award winners 1971.JPG

And here are the 1972 winners:

Fleck award winners 1972.JPG

Susan
Last edited by down south on Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Dykesmains award winners 1971-74

Post by down south »

Here now are the Fleck award winners in 1973:

Fleck award winners 1973.JPG

I think the caption may be misleading there; it's the girl on the right who looks to me like a MacPherson.

The 1974 duxes now, seen again with Mrs Lambie; we've seen this picture before in another topic.

Fleck award winners 1974.JPG

And here's a bonus picture, which has caused me to modify the topic slightly; I also came across this one of the Dykesmains sports champions for 1971.

Dykesmains sports champions 1971.JPG

Susan